PDA

View Full Version : 32WCF / Why?

DeadWoodDan
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been shopping for another lever and for some reason (other than i have a HighWall Win. M1885 in this caliber) keep looking at this caliber. The prices are up there along with those six shooters chambered in this.

For those of you shooting this caliber what is drawing me in? I haven't shot or loaded for the HighWall yet guess i just want something to keep it company. Not really familiar with the caliber other than its case is thin and one must be careful when resizing.

I have an early .357Blackhawk and always wanted to get a lever in it also. I realize the .357 might be cheaper to shoot and bet if i look are better performers?

I guess i just have this .32 bug after looking and hoping to find a Buckeye someday...but then again don't think i will ever be able to afford one of those either.

Thanks for listening
DWD

Nobade
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I like 'em because they're usually more accurate than 357s, at least in rifles, and use 2/3rds of the powder and lead. Also kick less. Not as powerful and probably not as good for hunting deer, but plenty for most any pleasure shooting or pistol caliber silhouette matches.

Don't worry about the Buckeye - they're too heavy! Colts are nicer to carry, either a SAA or Police Positive Special.

Go ahead and jump in - you'll love it!

-Nobade

Marvin S
02-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Its cheap to shoot and has that old time feel to it. I have five of them.

Idaho Mule
02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
DWD, you are treading on thin ice my friend. 32-20 is one of the most sensible rounds ever invented. I became addicted over 20 yrs ago with an old Win. 92 and it has been downhill ever since. They are almost as cheap to shoot as the 22 LR, cheaper than the 22 mag, plus you can reload and thusly tailor your own loads to do what you want. The 32-20 is cheaper to shoot than the 357, but you can shoot the 357 very economically too. Both great choices for lever action carbines, I have both. The old 92 and the more modern Marlin 1894CL will both take some fairly warm loads-- 115 gr bullets at over 2100 fps. As far as six-guns the Colt SAA is a work of art and easy to pack, also very stout gun for some pretty warm loads. I also have an old S&W 1905 that is loads of fun to shoot, but not nearly as robust, so gets loaded with much lighter loads. The BuckEye, now that is a different game. Yes, they are heavy, about like an 8 lb. sledgehammer, but they are sooo much fun with some really warm loads and as said before they are very accurate. Cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, easy to load, buy 500 cases from Starline and have fun. JW

btroj
02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I appended to be in a Shop that had a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 years back. I brought it home.
What an awesome rifle. No recoil. Great accuracy. Cheap on lead and powder.
It is just plain fun to shoot.

JHeath
02-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Whenever this caliber is mentioned I see consistently happy comments from owners who just love to actually shoot it. That means a lot.

I had a Puma .454 carbine -- painful, and loud. I want another M1892 and thought a .357 would be about right. But these .32 fans just sound so happy I'm thinking about going smaller.

runfiverun
02-21-2013, 12:40 AM
well i keep looking for a 32-20.
i have a pair of 25-20's and all the stuff to reload for the 32-20 just haven't found the rifle yet.
so what i did was find a 30 carbine revolver trimmed the brass back to headspace off the rim and use 32-20 brass and boolits in it.
so now i'm happy...sorta.
still looking for the rifle and a 38-40 too. :lol:

HighHook
02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Yep! 32-20 is my all time favorite...

gunfan
02-21-2013, 01:45 AM
I would like one if I could have an extra cylinder in .327 Federal Magnum indexed for the revolver. A 8 1/2" barreled revolver like that would be the cat's @$$.

Scott

DeadWoodDan
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Appreciated the feedback, now i just have to hunt down/wait for the right bargin. I've never been a big handgun guy, but since i purchased the .357 BH have had nothing but fun. My 30-30 lever is great, but does take up alot of lead to shoot. Just always pictured myself carrying a six banger and lever through the woods and would be convient to be the same caliber.

The hunt is on.
DWD

Nobade
02-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I would like one if I could have an extra cylinder in .327 Federal Magnum indexed for the revolver. A 8 1/2" barreled revolver like that would be the cat's @$$.

Scott

I bet Freedom Arms would be glad to build you just what you want, for a price....

-Nobade

Nobade
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Appreciated the feedback, now i just have to hunt down/wait for the right bargin. I've never been a big handgun guy, but since i purchased the .357 BH have had nothing but fun. My 30-30 lever is great, but does take up alot of lead to shoot. Just always pictured myself carrying a six banger and lever through the woods and would be convient to be the same caliber.

The hunt is on.
DWD

30-30 loaded with 32-20 boolits and 5gr. Bullseye or Clays does the same thing, just heavier and is usually extremely accurate at shorter ranges....

-Nobade

missionary5155
02-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Greetings
Carried and crawled my 1873 32-20 rifle through all sorts of ditches and brush hunting that elusive and tough groundhog. With 5 grains Unique or 9 grains 2400 a 115 flat nose slamming into the shoulder was was all I ever needed to eliminate another bean eater. Quiet and no fuss.
Lately I used a Savage Bolt rifle and it was just as fun and much more accurate. Due to my type of hunting I secured the Dan Wesson parts needed to turn a model 15-2 .357 into a 32/20. With a 6 inch barrel it makes a great companion revolver to have along for those real closeup shots under 15 yards.
I could have my caliber .357 Marlin out there with any one of numerous .357 revolvers but the 32-20 do everything I need.
Mike in Peru

Jack Stanley
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I used to have a Savage bolt rifle chambered in this but when the Browning model fifty-three came along I got a lot more interested in that . It is easy to carry in the field , can be loaded mild to wild ..... well , at least up to the performance level of the .30 carbine . The bullets are very easy to cast and in quantity too , usually about any alloy that can be melted works well . I think it has more going for it than the twenty-two magnum does , at least from a loaders point of view . It's not fussy for lube and you'd have to work to make it lead the barrel .Some time back there was a thread here about it's use on deer . Some for , some against . Probably wouldn't be a first choice for something that big but it just shows it's ability in the right hands . As long as you have primers laid in deep , you can retire your rimfire untill the price of that comes back down .

There is a lot to like in the 32WCF .

Jack

Marvin S
02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
There are lots of guns chambered for the 32 WCF as you probalby know. Just cruise through Gun Broker, Guns International and like places. Im a big fan of my Lo-Wall with tang and globe sights. It was relined so the bore is not an issue. There was even a group buy for a 115gr gas check not too long ago.
With leaner times coming in reguards to components wiser folks will gravitate back towards these great old dash type calibers. The little rifle in my avitar is a 25-20 mod 53 Win.

DeadWoodDan
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
How is brass life for these? Also i had read (may only have been once) that care must be taken when resizing? any truth to that or other items of interest when it comes to reloading?

fouronesix
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
OH yes!
What a nice cartridge. Have three- Colt SAA, Win 73, Win 92.

Really no difference in reloading than with any of the thin-walled cartridges like the 38-40 or 44-40. Thin brass is easier to scrunch if you get in a hurry while reloading. Just go slow. No need to hot rod the cartridge or guns so the brass lasts about the same as any of the others. Use a Lyman M die and set it correctly. Use a light crimp- just enough to get the job done for the recoil or magazine set back. I use a 311316 for the long guns and a plain based version for the handgun.

superbee
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
By far my favorite to cast for and to shoot.

In my experience, reloading the round without ruining cases is not all that difficult to do; contrary to what some literature would lead you to believe. Starline brass is indeed nice, but truthfully I've experienced no problems with Remington nor with Winchester brass.

Fouronesix's observations are excellent: adjust the "M" die to achieve the correct amount of case mouth belling and apply just enough crimp to flatten the mouth of the case snug to the bullet.

Alan
02-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I happened on an apparently unfired 1984CL Marlin at Cabela's last summer for $579. Hadn't even been handled, as the Marlin inspector's sticky on the forearm was pristine. Just got in 500 Starline .32-20 cases for it this week. 8) my old 4-cavity 311316 is about to get a workout.

btroj
02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I suppose that in the end if you have to ask then don't bother with one.

williamwaco
02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
I used to have one. M92 with i believe a 26" octagonal barrel.

I was a kid and couldn't afford a good one, the action was excellent but the bore looked like a sewer pipe. You could see the rifling but just barely.
even so it could kill rabbits reliably at 100 yd.

I swapped it for another M92. A .357 conversion 20 inch carbine. I really regretted that swap.

Jack Stanley
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
When I got my new Starline cases I opened the neck with an eight m/m expander . Then I adjusted my sizing die so the bolt would just close on the case . This keeps the die from setting shoulder back , Sort of like partial full length sizing I guess but it works well .

Jack

gunfan
02-21-2013, 11:08 PM
I used to have a Savage bolt rifle chambered in this but when the Browning model fifty-three came along I got a lot more interested in that . It is easy to carry in the field , can be loaded mild to wild ..... well , at least up to the performance level of the .30 carbine . The bullets are very easy to cast and in quantity too , usually about any alloy that can be melted works well . I think it has more going for it than the twenty-two magnum does , at least from a loaders point of view . It's not fussy for lube and you'd have to work to make it lead the barrel .Some time back there was a thread here about it's use on deer . Some for , some against . Probably wouldn't be a first choice for something that big but it just shows it's ability in the right hands . As long as you have primers laid in deep , you can retire your rimfire untill the price of that comes back down .

There is a lot to like in the 32WCF .

Jack

Well Jack, while I have nothing against the .32-20, the major drawback against the venerable cartridge is it's brass. The cartridge case is thin, and flows easily at the extreme upper end. This is why the .327 Federal Magnum is, in and of itself, a better platform for higher performance. The .327 can, and will, exceed the performance of both the.32-20 and the .30 Carbine. This is why the round, in all it's high-pressure glory, translates the aforementioned "pop" into accuracy and hole-boring power.

Scott

Idaho Mule
02-22-2013, 03:07 AM
The brass is not a problem, really, once one gets used to working with it. It is thin at the mouth and will crumple if not lined up with the dies, just be careful. Also, Remington brass tends to run longer (by quite a bit) than Winchester and Starline. I trim the Rem. brass to 1.305 for the first several firings. WW and Starline are trimmed to 1.282. Starline is just a hair thicker at the mouth, I modify a Lee .30 carbine trim gage for them. As gunfan stated the brass will definitely flow at higher pressures but I don't load many that are that hot so it doesn't bother me much. The hotter loads of AA #9, 2400 are kinda fun sometimes tho. Most of my loads are with Unique at 3.5 gr up to 5.7 gr. Those are fun and economical loads. Hope this helps. JW

9.3X62AL
02-22-2013, 06:15 AM
No argument with any of the info above. I'm another fan of the 32-20 WCF, in both revolvers and rifles. 90% of my loads are 1873-level blackpowder performance duplicators that can safely run in the S&W M&P and the Colt SAA, or the Marlin 94CCL that can contain more athletic powder amounts. Such loads (usually 6.0 grains of SR-4756) under Lymans #311316 or #311008 get 850-900 FPS from the sideirons and 1150-1200 FPS from the Marlin. Not a fire-breather, but the rifle places 3X the smack-down on varmints or small game as the 22 LR, and costs about the same to refill. At these sedate speeds, bullets don't mess up much meat.

Now, when you prompt those #311316s along at 1900 FPS or so, BAD THINGS occur to jackrabbits or ground squirrels. Parts tend to fly off, let's say--and I don't mean from the rifle. Don't plan on small game as table fare when using such loads--slow things down some.

gunfan
02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
No argument with any of the info above. I'm another fan of the 32-20 WCF, in both revolvers and rifles. 90% of my loads are 1873-level blackpowder performance duplicators that can safely run in the S&W M&P and the Colt SAA, or the Marlin 94CCL that can contain more athletic powder amounts. Such loads (usually 6.0 grains of SR-4756) under Lymans #311316 or #311008 get 850-900 FPS from the sideirons and 1150-1200 FPS from the Marlin. Not a fire-breather, but the rifle places 3X the smack-down on varmints or small game as the 22 LR, and costs about the same to refill. At these sedate speeds, bullets don't mess up much meat.

Now, when you prompt those #311316s along at 1900 FPS or so, BAD THINGS occur to jackrabbits or ground squirrels. Parts tend to fly off, let's say--and I don't mean from the rifle. Don't plan on small game as table fare when using such loads--slow things down some.

When bullets sizzle along at those speeds, things tend to "get messy." The only reason(s) I prefer the straight walled .327 are more power and longer brass life. Other than that, the .32 WCF works quite well.

Scott

Alan
02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
I have 3 32 WCF guns, and 3 327's. What Gunfan said. A 1905 Hand Ejector, custom K32-20 built from a Smith M14-2, and 1894CL Marlin. I have an SP101, GP100, and Ruger Blackhawk in .327. Love 'em all. The BH is a wee bit heavy, but the others are awesome packin' pistols.

Jack Stanley
02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Scott , you are absolutely right about the .327 and if I could have found a quality rifle chambered in that round I very likely would have bought one . I like the idea of straight wall cases instead of having to be careful with thin brass . The cartridge can do anything the 32WCF can but easier on the loader I think .

So that's the reason I'm "stuck" using this Browning reproduction of an old classy Winchester rifle :-D

Jack

Idaho Mule
02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
9.3, you are very correct about the flying parts at high velocity. My sons and I go for ground squirrels here in Northern Idaho in the springtime and the 32-20's are always present. Those higher velocity (1800 fps+) loads always produce spectacular results. We use the more sedate loads when hunting for dinner, so's ya got something left to bring back.Hey Jack Stanley, if that ol' reproduction is too much trouble... JW

Bushwacker Berg
02-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I got started with a 25-20 and fell in love with it, so the next step was moving up to the 32-20. I have them in Winchester 92's, Savage 23 bolt, Smith 1905 and Colt Pocket Positive Special. It's a fun cartridge to shoot. As already stated as long as reasonable care is taken with the brass it is no more difficult then others to load. I use my single stage press so each case is handled throughout the process, I suppose if you are using a progressive set up maybe things could get messy. 115 grain cast makes for a nice carry gun for rabbits and cheap to shoot.

9.3X62AL
02-24-2013, 01:49 AM
I haven't gotten a 327 Federal revolver yet, though it seems like a fine caliber and likely a better design than the 32-20 WCF. Of course, the 256 Win Mag is a "better" and more modern caliber than the 25-20, but the 256 languishes while the 25-20 still has pulse and respiration. Sort of, anyway. I do fine with the 2 hyphenated WCF rounds, and the 44-40 as well. A little care while the casings are being run into dies is all that's needed.

mainiac
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
I have the marlin 1894cl,,,very nice shooting gun. I shoot the rcbs98swc,,,@ 11-1200 f.p.s., i can shoot it with no ear plugs,,quite,,,or i can run that boolit up to 18-2000 f.p.s.,,and she will really snap!! Great cartridge,,,great gun,,,

DLCTEX
02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
My Dad had a Winchester 92 in 32-20 and a Colt revolver in the same caliber when I was 6 years old. He had to part with them during a tough time and always regretted it. I remember them well and have always known I would like to own such a pair myself.

Jack Stanley
02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Why!!! .... yew ol' Idee-ho mule yew !!!! Ah hain't gonna give up this rahfle 'till mah harwt stops a beatin' . An ah'm agonna will it to mah nephew who kin remember who give it to 'im .

I got cash from my grandfathers estate instead of any of the guns that went to a cousin . So , I used some cash and bought this rifle since I had a hankering for the 32WCF , it reminds me of grandpa . If I really need more power that what it will do , I can load any number of cartridges to whatever power level it takes to do the job the 327 can do . But then , if Browning or someone else can make a quality rifle chambered for the 327 .... okay . Sign me up but some companies must be aware they fall under my purchase upon approval plan .

Jack

northmn
02-28-2013, 03:00 PM
I really have less use for a 327 than a 32-20. I really don't hop up my 32-20 that much as a 30-30 is better on all counts with reduced loads than either 32's. The 32-20 fits into the 22 mag category for me as it is my tractor gun and a great little cartridge for small game and bigger stuff. Will take out a grouse without too much damage and great for headshot on squirrels and still work on coyotes. I can see ground hog hunting with a 32-20 and hotter loads but I don't have any that requires longer shots.
Kind of the same for a 357 rifle. While adequate for deer with hot loads, it then becomes inadequate except for headshots for small game. Might as well use my 35 Remington or 38-55 and headshoot small game with something more powerfull for deer.
In some ways, I keep thinking I would like the little Marlin 32-20 redone into a 218 Bee, but haven't yet bit on that.

DP

longranger
03-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Best 5 shot group I ever shot was with a Colt SAA in 32-20, I have several now, can be a booger to reload ,Lee FC die fixes most issues.

Idaho Mule
03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Jack, EEasy there, I was just trying to do you a favor there, not meaning to step on your toes. Jeez just settle down a bit. I bet that little rifle will be well worn and well taken care of by the time your nephew gets hold of it, which is a good thing. I have never owned a 53 but would buy one in a minute if given the right chance at the right gun. I admire the way you write of yours, you obviously shoot it, a lot. If the general public knew how much fun we have shooting our 53's, 92's and such in the archaic cartridges we would surely be in trouble. I love hearing from others that enjoy these old guns and cartridges. JW

JHeath
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
When bullets sizzle along at those speeds, things tend to "get messy." The only reason(s) I prefer the straight walled .327 are more power and longer brass life . . ."

Scott

. . . and ease of reloading with the straight-walled and thicker .327 case. A progressive press could churn out a lot of quality .327 ammo for cheap. I'm sorry to see it not catching on.

A 115gr bullet of .32 cal has similar sectional density to a .357/158. When launched going several hundred FPS faster than the .357 it's nothing to sneeze at.

gunfan
03-02-2013, 10:37 PM
. . . and ease of reloading with the straight-walled and thicker .327 case. A progressive press could churn out a lot of quality .327 ammo for cheap. I'm sorry to see it not catching on.

A 115gr bullet of .32 cal has similar sectional density to a .357/158. When launched going several hundred FPS faster than the .357 it's nothing to sneeze at.

Yessir, Heath. The .327 Fed Mag does show a lot of promise. I, too, wish that we could have an NEF Handi-Rifle chambered for the cartridge. It would do some great hunting and long-range target shooting.

Scott

rintinglen
03-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Somebody's gonna have to draw me a picture and explain how a .327 is better than a .30 Carbine. Both are only available these days (in handguns, new) in Rugers, both are loaded to roughly 40k psi. A 110 grain bullet at 1480 fps versus a 115 grain bullet at 1450? I have a .327 Ruger Blackhawk, it's nice, but the notion that it is somehow superior to other, more well established cartridges and guns is silly. It's different, not everybody has one, yada yada. A good 357 does anything the 327 does, somethings better and any advantage the .327 might have over the 30 Carbine can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

JHeath
03-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Somebody's gonna have to draw me a picture and explain how a .327 is better than a .30 Carbine. Both are only available these days (in handguns, new) in Rugers, both are loaded to roughly 40k psi. A 110 grain bullet at 1480 fps versus a 115 grain bullet at 1450? I have a .327 Ruger Blackhawk, it's nice, but the notion that it is somehow superior to other, more well established cartridges and guns is silly. It's different, not everybody has one, yada yada. A good 357 does anything the 327 does, somethings better and any advantage the .327 might have over the 30 Carbine can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

I hear you. But the differences are that the .327 headspaces on a rim and uses an established handgun diameter with molds like the 311316 available. This combined the best traits of the .32-20 and the .30 carbine. For reloaders who like .32-20 revolvers and lever-rifles but don't like the thin necks and want carbide dies for quantity reloading, the .327 could have been a real improvement.

But nobody made the guns. Instead we were offered snub .327 DA revolvers that tried to compete for CCW sales against slim high-cap auto pistols.

With a progressive press and a .327 rifle and full-length revolver, a fellow could practice to McGivern-like skill level on a .22 budget, with arms that had serious ballistic potential.

JHeath
03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
BTW as of last week Butch's gun shop in Seattle had a old (pre-war I think) 7-1/2" Colt SAA in .32-20 for $4500. It is just dawning on me that they rarely turn up and somebody on this list probably wants it. I hope I haven't violated forum policy by passing along the info, I have no connection to the shop.

9.3X62AL
03-03-2013, 02:14 AM
With all 4 calibers loaded to their full-snort potential--32 Magnum, 327 Federal, 32-20, or 30 U.S. Carbine--there isn't a lick of difference between the four-pack. A few of the guns chambered to 32 Magnum--the H&R/NEF, Charter Arms, maybe the J-frame Smiths--might not be up to 36K PSI like the Carbine and the 327 churn up. And other than a Ruger Buckeye Special in 32-20, the 32-20 needs to be kept at 1873 levels for most revolvers that chamber that caliber. The Blackhawk in 30 Carbine has been very good for me in terms of accuracy, cast or jacketed. Some shooters use fire-formed or die-adapted 32-20 brass in their 30 Carbine Blackhawks, which allows for a rimmed headspace reference and a roll-crimped bullet. Any 30 or 32 caliber handgun launching its bullet in the 1400 FPS velocity bracket will be louder than Purgatory's Drum Line. In that regard, they all start getting nasty at about 1100 FPS.

Canuck Bob
03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I picked up a new Winchester Winoku long rifle take down a few years ago. I wasn't sure about the caliber or the lawyered up Winchester from Japan. I wondered as you do now.

I'm very happy with both choices. My rifle is classy and the 32-20 is a dandy woods loafing rifle. It also happens to work real well as a tactical rifle. I use Rem brass without complaint. The ejector spring needed some tweaking as it tended to bend the neck on empties when ejecting with too much force. Straightening up the neck before sizing is all I do.

Paco Kelly has a great article on the 32-20 and in the right rifle it will send 120 grains downrange in the 2400 range. Once I shot up some factory Rem scorching along at 1200 fps I finally had my woods loafer that for the first time in my life was more actual fun than a 22LR! Squirrels to wolf be aware as far as I can hit with the Lyman peep.

Once I got over the usual desire to hot rod every new cartridge I settled on the role this cartridge excels at. Fun, pure and simple fun. No belching, snorting, pressure spikes, or store bought bullets. I got a Win 32 Special for deer, Marlin 444 for bear and moose, and a 32-20 to shoot all the time and not scare the locals. I think I have the ultimate working guy lever collection.

The 357 would have been a good choice as well in Canada. Components are available for the 32 but not common. We never had the handgun 32-20 heritage so common in the USA to support its popularity. I dream about a clean double action 6" barrel pistol as a match but sadly gun control has made that far too much trouble. 357 ammo and components are everywhere cheap but my little 32-20 comes from the factory as lead bulleted and it is such a friendly little 92 with an attitude if provoked.

The first time you launch your own little 32 caliber lead bullet at 1500-1600 fps with a pinch of powder and hear it whack a stump you'll grin all day!

JHeath
03-04-2013, 03:35 AM
With all 4 calibers loaded to their full-snort potential--32 Magnum, 327 Federal, 32-20, or 30 U.S. Carbine--there isn't a lick of difference between the four-pack.

Add 7.62x25 Tokarev to that list (most slug at .311-.313) A hot load under a 110 or 115 in the Tok is in the same league as those four. The TT33/M57 pistol is flat as a MacBook but hits like a .327 and holds 8-9 rounds.

But the .327 is the best for reloading and with cast. The .32-20 necks are thin; the 7.62x25 neck is short plus auto pistols lose brass. The .30 Carbine headspaces on the mouth and doesn't use .32 bullets.

So the .327 has a lot going for it. It just needs to be available in a good field revolver and lever rifle, instead of snubnose carry guns marketed at people who don't reload.

wch
03-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Why 32-20?
Well, (until recently) componenents are cheap and easy to find, for one.
Data is everywhere.
They can be quiet if you need something quiet and louder if you need something faster.
New shooters love them and are not intimidated by noise or recoil.
And finally, they're just so damned much fun!

cuzinbruce
03-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Fun caliber. I have several, Win 92, Rem 25, S&W. Easy to load for, even with the thin brass. The RCBS 98 grain SWC is as good as any. Barrel diameters vary, Win 92 was .211, S&W was .314. I think S&W just used the same tooling as for the 32 S&W Long. Rem 25 is a fun gun, people at the range see it and think it is a .22. Size is almost identical to Rem 12 or Win 61, 22's, except for a fat magazine tube.

Kansas Ed
03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
My first Mule Deer was taken down with a single shot from a '92 in 32-20 at 70ish yards. Now I was using a J-word remington bullet...but at 75 yards she made it a few yards and flopped. Pass through shot. Both lungs taken out. IIRC a rib was broken too. Ground hogs succumb spectacularly. One of my favorites...oh Hell they're all my favorites....

I'm anxiously waiting for my Loverin mould on the group buy for my 32-20...I think it'll be a real roof raiser...especially with the HP.

Ed

gunfan
03-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Add 7.62x25 Tokarev to that list (most slug at .311-.313) A hot load under a 110 or 115 in the Tok is in the same league as those four. The TT33/M57 pistol is flat as a MacBook but hits like a .327 and holds 8-9 rounds.

But the .327 is the best for reloading and with cast. The .32-20 necks are thin; the 7.62x25 neck is short plus auto pistols lose brass. The .30 Carbine headspaces on the mouth and doesn't use .32 bullets.

So the .327 has a lot going for it. It just needs to be available in a good field revolver and lever rifle, instead of snubnose carry guns marketed at people who don't reload.

BINGO! You are 100% on the mark! That's all the reasons the .327 Fed Mag should have been and still could be, a hit! The cartridge isn't fussy to load, and a decent set of revolver(s) and carbine could, nay would, be a tremendous triumph!

The .32 S&W, S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Fed Mag covers more bases than the L.A. Dodgers!

Scott

Jack Stanley
03-05-2013, 04:35 PM
So maybe Browning will do a run of the low wall or the model fifty-three in the 327 flavor ??

Jack

DeadWoodDan
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
You guys got my wheels turning harder than ever now!! I will be on the hunt for one my wallet can afford OR come next yr GOD willing i will graduate and i know what my present to myself will be. Also this will be a great motive to keep at it. Looks like lots of options, to look at.

gunfan
03-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I'd like to see a Model '92 Winchester chambered for the .327 Federal Magnum. Think of a 18" lever-action rifle chambered for the cartridge. Low recoil, screaming high power with 115-125 grain JHP bullets. I believe that small deer can be rapidly taken with this cartridge quite readily. Couple this with a 7.5" barreled "K" frame S&W revolver. (Think Model 616-4.)

How convenient and versatile would that arrangement be?

Scott

Jack Stanley
03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm betting that top end loads in the short barrel would be as hard on the ears as any of the others . But , I guess ya don't have to use that type of load in a handgun when you have a good rifle so yeah .... versatile .

Jack

TCFAN
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
The 32-20 is my favorite cartridge in the T/C Contender. Mine is a 10 inch bull barrel with a 3X Burris scope. I use the Lyman 311316 HP boolit most of the time. I wish I could find a good Marlin 94 chambered in 32-20 that I could afford. I guess they are just hard to come by..............Terry

gunfan
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm betting that top end loads in the short barrel would be as hard on the ears as any of the others . But , I guess ya don't have to use that type of load in a handgun when you have a good rifle so yeah .... versatile .

Jack

The .327 Federal Magnum doesn't vary. It is what it is. You can use the shorter shells in the revolver.

Scott

Idaho Mule
03-05-2013, 11:57 PM

Jack
Jack, the hotter loads are DEFINITELY sharp in shorter handgun barrels. Think hot .357Mag X2. JW

Jack Stanley
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I had a .357 "hearing" once upon a time with the launcher being a two and a half inch barrel . that'll learn me not to do that again !! I'm betting something with a barrel about twenty inches long would be just fine for me . I'm not hard to please , I just want the maker to do it right the first time around so I don't have to fix it later .

Jack:)

9.3X62AL
03-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Oh, I think a S&W Model 16-series in 327 Federal would prompt some folding money out of me. I rolled one of the Ruger GP100 variants around in my head, but I would really like a 6" barrel. Why S&W limits this caliber to belly guns is ludicrous--an 8-shot revolver on the L-frame, or the K-frame 16 with 6/7 shots would sell like smoke.

Nobade
03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Oh, I think a S&W Model 16-series in 327 Federal would prompt some folding money out of me. I rolled one of the Ruger GP100 variants around in my head, but I would really like a 6" barrel. Why S&W limits this caliber to belly guns is ludicrous--an 8-shot revolver on the L-frame, or the K-frame 16 with 6/7 shots would sell like smoke.

Sure would! Look at what regular Smith Model 16s are going for on the used market. Heck, I just wish they would make a 4 inch adjustable sight J frame in 32 H&R mag. Talk about a nice trail gun! Add that to a 327 fed. K frame and I too would have to dig up some funds.

-Nobade

Jack Stanley
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
You guys are right , S&W must not have any extra machine space to run even a few thousand guns every couple years . Remember when people were sending model twenty-eights back to S&W to have them converted to .44 Special ? I even saw one that had been sent back to get a "model of 1955" barrel and cylinder on it . Trail guns ? K or J frame four or five inch barrel ..... make one in .32 S&W long and I might turn loose of folding money :) No reason at all they couldn't make cylinders for the longer thirty-twos . All they'd need to make is enough to satisfy current desires , then when the used gun market exceeds what they can make them for do it again .

They must be to busy .

Jack

DeadWoodDan
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
No....they just don't like money?

Jack Stanley
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
With the companies I've dealt with it seems to be unless a company administrator thinks of it a paying customer doesn't need it .

Jack

northmn
03-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I found the 357 mag rifles to fill any need for a short handy little rifle with more punch than the 32-20. A 92 in 357, depending on loads is a joy to shoot. I am a loss really to see the gap between a 32-20 and a 38/357 combo. The 327 might be fun on varmits, but so is a 357 with light weight bullets. I sometimes regret letting my 357 Rossi go, but the 32-20 fills my needs in that category and the 30-30 is a better step up. Would I buy a 327 rifle now, probably not. Just my thinking.
As to compatibility with a pistol, I either carry a 22 or a 45 colt when I use a pistol and don't really see much advantage to pistol compatability. The pistol is for a different purpose than a rifle I carry with it.
DP

9.3X62AL
03-08-2013, 05:57 PM
With the companies I've dealt with it seems to be unless a company administrator thinks of it a paying customer doesn't need it .

Jack

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!