PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

barrybrice
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I have acquired a black powdered pistol. Can someone give me an idea of what I have of guidance where to go to ask. I have more photos if anyone would like to see more. 61882 61883 61884

Fly
02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
A muzzle loading pistol!Sorry just being a smart A$$.I have know Idea but a very interesting pistol?
Some here will come close.
Fly

1Shirt
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Looks spanish!
1Shirt1

Olevern
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
looks homemade.

Coffeecup
02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
It appears to be homemade, probably from old parts. Some of it--the carving, for instance--looks pretty crude, but the maker did what looks to be a good job of bending the hammer to line up with the nipple.

I think I'd be very disinclined to shoot it without a thorough inspection of the breeching. It might make a nice wallhanger, but before you do anything else, make certain it is not loaded. Run a cleaning rod all the way down the barrel. When it stops, mark the rod, then remove it. Hold the rod alongside the barrel, with the mark at the muzzle. If the gun is unloaded, the end of the rod should be somewhere around the center of the drum (that part that screws into the side of the barrel). If the end of the rod is not there, you'll need to pull the load (or whatever it is) from the barrel.

fouronesix
02-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Yep, check to make sure it isn't loaded then relegate to wall hanger- it's pretty crude.
Also, looks like it may be a combination of parts. The lock could even be a flintlock conversion. Can't really see clearly enough but appears to be either a spacer or a ground off shadow of a pan in the lock plate surrounding the drum- indicating made for a larger drum or was once a flintlock. There's a couple of filled/extra holes in the lock plate forward of the drum that could have been for connecting the frizzen spring to the lock plate.

Mike.44
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Someone did take a little time putting it together. Sure would be neat to see what it looked like when it was first completed.