PDA

View Full Version : Clean barrels with cast

44man
07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Another test for fun. I took one of my revolvers and cleaned it. I started with Hoppe's 9, then Elite, then M-Pro 7, then Sweets, then JB paste twice, Hoppe's, then Sweets again followed by Hoppe's. I brushed the Elite, M-Pro 7 and Sweets in and used tight patches on a tight jag until I could not get anything else out of the bore.
I grabbed 5 shots and went down and shot them at 50 yd's. The first shot was 1-3/4" low.
I only had 5 of these boolits left and they are just WW's. The group is all I ever got with them. The important thing I learned is that a clean bore in this gun will not cost me a deer.
I expect the group to tighten a little as it is shot more although it is just a hunting gun.
I have been right all these years that it only takes one fouling shot before going hunting. That is the only thing I have ever done with a rifle or handgun before hunting. Only my muzzle loaders stay clean for the first shot.

BOOM BOOM
08-04-2007, 07:52 PM
hi,
didn't clean the 357 this year till I moved to shooting the 44.
shot 4-5,000 rounds. USED FILEX'S SLOW SCRAPER TRICK ABOUT EVERY 1,000 ROUNDS.

44man
08-04-2007, 09:47 PM
I have a habit of cleaning good between testing lubes or alloys and mostly after shooting those funny bullets. I never have more then 1 or 2 out with a clean bore. Sometimes I don't clean for a year if I use the same load. Just depends on what I am doing. I just don't find a lot of difference after a few shots or after hundreds. As long as I can hit deer or shoot tiny groups, I am happy. Brass gives me more problems then anything else.