PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Lyman Handles?

quack1
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Has anyone repaired broken Lyman cast iron handles? I had a couple of days vacation, so I decided to cast up a bunch of bullets. All went well until I was cleaning up and putting molds and handles away. I managed to drop a set of handles (without mold, thankfully) on the cement cellar floor. They hit on one arm and broke off right through the hole for the mold screw. I have some high temp. silver solder, but have never tried it on a casting before. Any thoughts on silver solder? I dont have torches to braze it but could do it at work if brazing would be better. I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks

TAWILDCATT
07-31-2007, 04:49 PM
use stainless steel welding rod,heat parts hot and then weld you might peen the weld with ball hammer.:coffee: :Fire: :coffee:

TAWILDCATT
07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I just checked molds and lyman double cavity will fit Lee handles the 4 cavity wont himmm thats peculiar.

chunkum
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Here is a set a friend fixed for me back in the mid 70's. They've been used a bunch since and haven't flinched. But then they havn't been dropped either, I'm not sure exactlly what material he used but he used an acetylyne torch and a metal rod of some kind. I could have been brass but it seems as if it was steel.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4250/lymanrepair2d1cd.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3927/lymanrepair1d7gx.jpg

Seems like the little "arch" he put on the outside strengthened it very well.

Best Regards,
Chunkum

Arnie
07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Arc welding cast is almost impossible and get it right but i wonder if a tig welder would work .Arnie

Randy in Arizona
07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
IIRC Nickle rod is used for cast iron repair where brazing is considered to be too weak or incapable of handing the heat. It is also used for repairs in food service work where the braze would be in contact with hot oil, such as in a deep fat fryer.

HTH

454PB
08-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I'd braze it, and add a little extra brass if possible.

quack1
08-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Here is an update. I figured I would give high temp silver solder a try- nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had never tried soldering a casting before and, surprisingly, it seemed to work OK. I had doubts about the solder flowing because of the porosity of the casting but it flowed fine as soon as the parts glowed red. I haven't used the handles to cast anything yet, as the temperature has been in the upper 80's but the solder job stood up to my drilling out some excess solder in the screw hole. I also tapped the joint a few times with a hammer and it held up OK.