PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old, In with the new

barrybrice
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I sold my Saeco Lube Sizer about six weeks ago. I received my new Star lube sizer yesterday. WOW what a difference! Did I say wow, I mean WOW. Hands-down it was worth the wait and worth the money.

Trapperscott
02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm seriously looking at selling a couple of my Lyman's to fund the purchase of a Star. I want one bad after watching the videos on youtube.

cheese1566
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm seriously looking at selling a couple of my Lyman's to fund the purchase of a Star. I want one bad after watching the videos on youtube.

Thats how I got mine!!! I accumulated several Lymans and had one set up for each caliber I cast. I liquidated them and kept my only RCBS LAM for small lots and odd rifle. I have never regretted converting all those lymans to a Star!

bobthenailer
02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
I started out with a lyman & sold it, then i bought a Saeco & sold it after useings a friends Star about 30 odd years ago , I still have it along with another one from magnma i got it about 15 years ago ,In all thoses years i have never repaired anything on either unit . and perhaps 400,000+ bullets L&S with them. I just finshised up my casting session for 2013 I cast & L/S 14,787 bullets in 13 days & did not cast every day ,Im retired now & have more time , when i worked it took me the entire month of febuary to do that many .

Over the years ive had 3 friends come over my house to ck out my star L/S, all 3 had them in short order.

Doc Highwall
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I have 4 SAECO's and love them. All 4 have different lubes in them and I mostly shoot gas check bullets which is why I like the SAECO's because I can seat the gas check.

Now for volume with a plain base bullet I know the Stars are the way to go.

CWME
02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
I am with Doc, I have 2 Lymans, 1 RCBS, and a star. They all have their place on the bench for me. I started making AL checks with the freechexIII tool and I find they really need to be seated on the lymans with the GC seater installed. Hornady checks were ok to just snap on and run through the star but the AL checks don't seat straight for me.
Plain based boolits are where my star shines! Get your dies from site sponsor lathesmith, prices and quality can't be beat.

pt4u2nv
02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Is lathesmith still here ? I was working with him to make me some dies and seeems like he disappeared . Not a problem for me , never got the order going which was my fault but I never heard back from him when I finally decided what I wanted. Great guy and maybe I was a little wishy washy in what I needed but I have not heard from him since, after several attempts to contact him.Really just more concerned that he was alright more than anything.

scarry scarney
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
I just got three star dies from him last week. He has been swamped lately.

sundog
02-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I got several $tar sizers from Lathesmith not too long ago. Quality stuff and a fair price. Good turn around time, also.

bbqncigars
02-22-2013, 08:11 PM
I would not be surprised if Lathesmith has not been caught up in the ordering insanity following Mobango's re-election.

kbstenberg
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Day before yesterday I got a response from LS. I had inquired about making several M die sizers. He said there was no way he could get to them for at least 2 months. I would say he is backlogged. Kevin

VHoward
02-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Besides the huge amount of orders he has gotten, he has also recently moved. So he is really backed up.

bobthenailer
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I have 4 SAECO's and love them. All 4 have different lubes in them and I mostly shoot gas check bullets which is why I like the SAECO's because I can seat the gas check.

Now for volume with a plain base bullet I know the Stars are the way to go.

my 2 Stars will install GC on bullets just as accurately and alot faster than the Saeco L/S set up . ive done over 25,000 gc bullets with a Star. In the past i did own 2 Saeco L/S .