PDA

View Full Version : Good Old Browning

rintinglen
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Recently, on a whim, I bought a decent FN 1922 32 ACP. I didn't need it, really. But I used to have a toy replica of one, back when life was simple and I was young. So, I bought this one.
Boy am I glad!

The 1922 was born when the then new Nation of Yugoslavia came looking for pistol to arm the officers in their new army. They didn't want a great number of guns, only some 30,000 initially, or so I read, certainly not enough to justify a whole new design . The 1910 model Browning was in production already, so FN decided to modify it to meet the requirements (longer barrel, increased magazine capacity) of the Yugoslav Military. They added a couple rounds to the magazine, lengthened the butt of the Pistol accordingly, and made a slide extension that snapped into the front of the slide. Once the word got out, other nations liked the design and jumped on the Band Wagon. Yugoslavia bought more, eventually running to well over 80,000. Denmark and the Netherlands bought some. It was a popular model that sold well in the depression era, being cheap, reliable, and in the widely used 7.65 Browning Caliber. In the period between 1900 and 1939, FN sold something in excess of 2 million Browning designed Autopistols, in models ranging from the 1900, 103, 1906, 1910, 1922, and 1935. Millions of pirated copies were made as well. The Wehrmacht took over manufacture of the 1922 and eventually ended up being the single largest user, with something in excess of 360,000 being manufactured, as well as guns confiscated from captured armies.
Mine is a Belgian Commercial gun, with considerable holster wear, but it locks up tight, and despite the 1920's stinky sights, and stout trigger pull, it shoots pretty good.61827

The boolit is the excellent Ranch Dog 32-75, which I sincerely hope Lee will see fit to add to their line-up on a permanent basis. The first 2 magazines made one hole, then my eye began to have trouble with the indoor lighting and tiny sights. Still, for an overgrown pocket pistol, and an over-the-hill pistolero, not too shabby. The holster is an IWB that I made just for the heck of it.