PDA

View Full Version : Competitor Pistol Throat

joeb33050
07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I went to the shop yesterday and ordered a Competitor pistol in 30 BR, for bench shooting cast bullets. The owner asked about special throating, I said I'd get back to him.
Anyone have any suggestions about throating?
Thanks;
joe brennan

Bass Ackward
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I assume you are only going to be interested in shooting cast and below 2000 fps.

Ask yourself these questions. So what twist rate is it? And what bullet weight range will match to that and your case capacity well? Then pick a design in that that you want to shoot, prepare a dummy round and hand it to him.

I would size the dummy round to slightly over bore because the throat diameter will open up .001 just removing the tool marks. I would also seat the GC so that it was just below your neck but not exposing the groove. This way, as the tool marks leave and the angle of the leade changes or walks, you have plenty of length to move out over time.

This guarantees a minimum throat for the life of the barrel. More importantly is how tight he cuts the case neck area to me. For squib stuff that is going to have trouble sealing, I would want no more than .005 which is .0025 a side. This means you don't have to turn necks if you need to go up in diameter to match your throat as it cleans up and seal will be good enough for cast as long as you run faster powders and keep your brass annealed.

Mohillbilly
07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Call competitor, ask for Al he's the boss and he and his son do the work.Ask what he would suggest, then tell what you are going to do,what you will shoot ect. right to the "horse's mouth".