PDA

View Full Version : I need help identifying this press!!!

Sweetpea
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I stumbled across this today, and just couldn't pass on it!

It has no markings as to the manufacturer, and it seems VERY overbuilt.

I am also interested in a possible value, as I might not have room in the stable to keep it.

Thanks for any help.

Brandon6176261763

LUBEDUDE
02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
It looks similar to a TL Bosler 3 station press that Pressman displayed here once before.

Hopefully he will confirm or correct.

Pressman
02-20-2013, 07:38 AM
That is a Bosler press. Identical to mine, right down to the chrome plating. I am glad to see this one as it confirms more about mine. They are really, really scarce. This is only the second one I have seen. Since both are identical it would confirm that they actually were chrome plated at the factory. The castings are not well finished being kind of rough and the chrome plating is thin in places.

The Bosler was patented November 6th, 1934 by True L. Bosler of San Diego California . It is based on a three station bench mounted frame with a separate, rotating part that contains the ram. Kind of like a turret press in reverse. It uses Pacific ram-shellholders and 7/8-14tpi dies. The patent drawings also show a powder measure using a pulley and draw cord to activate the drum. Mine has a die that will accept an Ideal#5 powder measure.
The pivot bolt is the weak part, mine is small, only 3/8". It works fine for 38spl but I would not want to try sizing a 30-06.
Ken

Sweetpea
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks, guys! It actually came with two extra rams, and the guy that had it insisted that it was a Pacific, since it was in a Pacific box.

Should I hang onto it, or put it to auction?

Pressman
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Sell or keep is your call. It is rare if I can use that term. If you sell it on the popular internet auction site provide good, detailed pictures and a descriptive history. Because there are so few of these around a great many collectors will not know what it is. I would not sell it for any less than $125.00.

Also, can you send me pictures of the Pacific box? I would really like to see it. herters@netins.net

Thanks
Ken

Sweetpea
02-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Here are the pictures of the box it came in...

DLCTEX
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
The box doesn't go with that press IMHO. Hornady acquisition of Pacific is too recent for the timeline.

Sweetpea
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
The box doesn't go with that press IMHO.

Yep, that's what I told the guy I bought it from, but he insisted it was a Pacific...

I bet he thinks every bride in white is pure as the driven snow too...[smilie=1:

John Allen
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
That is a neat looking press. i wold love to have one.