PDA

View Full Version : Pressure OK ?

Jack Stanley
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
I've been fooling around with loads in the 1903 chambered in 3006 again . After working up with a 311291 sized with gas check to .311" with a weight of 175 Grains loaded . I've found that 32 grains of Reloder Seven is rather accurate . Pressure looks normal but I'm curious if anyone has an idea of about where the pressure is on this ? The case is HXP , and the primer is WLR , OAL is 3.035" so the base of the bullet is right at the bottom of the neck .

Thanks , Jack

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Lyman Handbook, 46th Edition, for that bullet at 169 gr in #2 alloy, 3.013" OAL, RL7 begins at 25 gr and tops out at 38.3 gr.

What prompted you to ask your question? Did you get some pressure signs?

Jack Stanley
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Primers ..... I ran the load first time out using large rifle primers . Today I cleaned up the cases , sized them then belled and set primers ....... then realized I'd primed my cases with large pistol primers oops ! Haven't charged cases yet so I can either load the cases with gallery loads . Or if the pressure is less than what magnum pistol ammo runs at I'm wondering if I start under and do it all over .

Some of these guys are pretty sharp with numbers and the answer will help me decide where to go with this .

Jack

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
OK, now we're looking at something a little different.

My Lyman #46 manual says that max load of 38.3 gr RL7 generates 47,600 CUP.

The max CUP in the same manual for .44 mag, using large pistol primers, is 37,000 CUP.

You might be flirting with a high probability of pierced primers.

.30-06 brass is cheap. I would not try it.

Jack Stanley
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Yep you've seen my options , actually I run my line a little shorter than thirty-seven thousand . If the load in question runs thirty four thousand it will be gallery loads instead . So your load program has a pressure for something in the middle ?

Of course I do have another option , I can use a charge of 2400 like I've used in the past .

Jack

leadman
02-19-2013, 11:57 PM
If the cases are not loaded yet just run them back thru the sizing die and push out the primers and install the large rifle primers?

gnoahhh
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Indeed. I would just de-reprime those cases. Why take a chance if you don't have to?

Jack Stanley
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Well because if it is well within the limits of the primer there is little need for concern , if there was some pistol and revolver shooters would be in trouble . I think there is a program somewhere that calculates the pressures and if I stay below the limits of the primer in question I am reasonably sure it will work . I was sure someone here would have a closer idea of pressure because of that program . My apologies if I was incorrect .

Jack

williamwaco
02-21-2013, 10:36 PM
If you don't want to de-prime them, load them up with 9 grains of unique. You will like that load for plinking.

Jack Stanley
02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
That may be the route taken Williamwaco , I like depriming live primers less than I like using them in their normal pressure ranges . I was hoping to test loads today but it looks like the snow is a bit thick for reliably seeing the hundred yard berm anyway . That's probably a bad combination for battlesight on an 03 and old eyes .

Jack

Gunnut 45/454
02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
What's the big deal just deprime the cases and then use the right primers! Depriming live primer isn't a dangerous thing unless you go full retard! I do it all the time never had one cook off!:coffee:

Jack Stanley
02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
What's the big deal just deprime the cases and then use the right primers! Depriming live primer isn't a dangerous thing unless you go full retard! I do it all the time never had one cook off!:coffee:

Please re-read the above , thanks .

Jack