PDA

View Full Version : Turret vs progressive

Jtarm
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't want to start the eternal "which progressive debate, but:

How much, approximately, does a turret improve you rounds per hour?
I definitely need/want something faster than my old Rock Chucker, capable of loading rifle and pistol. I realize the rifle part may not improve much except die changes, assuming a turret has enough holes.

2 kids in private school + ailing FIL living with us = low time and budget.

I know Lee makes budget products, but I've been reloading long enough to know it's a get-what-you-pay-for proposition.

I've looked around for used progressives, none at gun shows, and flea bay stuff is going higher than new. I check Craigslist and other local sources, but again, being time-challenged, that's hard to do.

beex215
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
i can speak for the lee pro 1000. i can produce about 250-300 per hour and thats with me being casual. single stage breach lock took forever and thats why i upgraded.

Bonz
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I have a Lyman T-Mag II which has 5 holes in the turret. The only advantage is that you don't have to change dies. I bought a $45 turret head for each caliber that I load, one bolt holds it in place so it can be changed quickly when changing calibers. I now have a Hornady LNL AP on order and I sure wish that I would have gone straight to a progressive press instead of the turret head.

slwroln
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
For pistol I have a Lee Loadmaster and a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. I can casually do 400 rds an hour on my Loadmaster. I can casually do 100 rds an hr on my Classic Cast. You can get more out of both but I choose to not go that fast

Bonz
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Just so you can compare my Turret loading to beex215, he loads 250-300 rounds per hour. On the turret, I load 50-60 per hour. But, I clean primer pockets and hand weigh each charge on a RCBS 1010.

angus6
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I know Lee makes budget products, but I've been reloading long enough to know it's a get-what-you-pay-for proposition.

Lee Classic Cast Turret is a great little press when I was using mine I was getting 100/16mins., , heck really not going much faster with my 1050

LUBEDUDE
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
As discussed on an earlier thread, when talking about turrets, you really need to dfferentiate. Lee Turrets are really a progressive type or semi- progressive type of press if you will, since they self index.

All other turrets are manual indexing. So, do you wish to look at manual or auto indexing turrets? Two different animals.

FLHTC
02-19-2013, 04:06 PM
The Dillon 550 has interchangeable tool heads to leave your dies in the set position. The shell plate is manually indexed but once the press is properly adjusted for the caliber you're loading, handgun rounds can be cranked out easily. I loaded 40's yesterday for a friend and in ten minutes i had 100 rounds. Of course just like any other progressive or turret press, primers have to be loaded so you're somewhat limited by how many primers the tube holds but its over 100 for sure. The RL 550 was given that name for a reason but it will do better than 550 rounds per hour with a few primer tubes pre-filled.

gunoil
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
heres ya daddy:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/8508616B-B7D0-453C-951A-817FF2687928-19970-000010A6DF02C6DF_zpsc77d5f8b.mp4

Char-Gar
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I sold my Dillon progressive because I loaded an overcharged round and bought a Redding turrent. Plenty false enought for me.

saintdel
02-19-2013, 04:57 PM
What press is that daddy?

13Echo
02-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a Redding T7, an ancient Lee three hole self indexing turret, and a Lee1000 progressive (along with a few single stage presses). In order of speed the T7 is faster than a single stage but much slower than an autoindex press. The Lee self indexing turret is second, 2 or 3 or more times faster than the Manual indexing Redding. The progressive is fastest with 3 or 4 or more times the output of the autoindexing turret.

The Lee self indexing turret presses are very flexible with the ability to keep multiple turrets setup for numerous cartridges at less than $10 per turret. It is much slower than a Progressive which, however, are more expensive and much less flexible, most conviently setup for only one cartridge but boy can they produce. The non-auto indexing T7 is more rigid and is wonderful for larger rifle cartridges, especially for BPCR, but it is expensive and extra turrets are $60.

The autoindexing turret is the most flexible type press you can get. The Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret is an excellent press suitable for all types of reloading, even the long magnum and BPCR cartridges. If I were forced to have only one press I would not be unhappy with that press. Since you are on a tight budget you should consider the less expensive Lee 4 hole turret. It will load pistol and .223 with autoindex and can be used as a manual index press for longer rifle cases It is likely the best compromise press for your money and is usable for all but the really long magnum and blackpowder rounds, and, if you later upgrade, it is still a handy press to have.

Jerry Liles

gunoil
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
saintdel ; its just a lee loadmaster out of the box, i learned how to set up correct. It loves to make 45acp.

Jtarm
02-19-2013, 06:18 PM
What press is that daddy?

My very question. What does that toilet chain do? It doesnt look very durable.

Does the turret on the Lee ride within the frame so it's supported on the outside of the frame? If so, I may be sold. A big concern I have about turrets is they appear to only be supported at the center and prone to flexing under pressure. They look like they would loosen up over time.

41 mag fan
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't want to start the eternal "which progressive debate, but:

How much, approximately, does a turret improve you rounds per hour?
I definitely need/want something faster than my old Rock Chucker, capable of loading rifle and pistol. I realize the rifle part may not improve much except die changes, assuming a turret has enough holes.

2 kids in private school + ailing FIL living with us = low time and budget.

I've looked around for used progressives, none at gun shows, and flea bay stuff is going higher than new. I check Craigslist and other local sources, but again, being time-challenged, that's hard to do.

Jt..I understand fully your plight on the budget ect. Back way when (23yrs ago)I used my Orange Crusher only. About 7 yrs ago, I upgraded to the Lee Classic cast 4 hole turret. I could crank out about 150rd/hr on it. I thought I was in heaven.

1 1/2 yrs ago I bought the lee Pro 1000. I fiddled with that thing daily for hours. On the 28th day I gave up, called lee and sent it back to them.
Christmas before last I (my wife) bought me a Hornady LNL....straight out of the box...wonderful!!
But I had my taste of Lees progressives and will never own one again. Lots and lots of people have luck with them, I myself did not, as have lots of people also.
This 4 hole turret, I use it alot still. I load all my charges for pistol on it using my Lyman DPS3. by the time i get one rd complete its got another charge weighed.
I had the Lee auto disk on my pro 1000 and couldn't get the charges i wanted consistent.
One thing you go with the Lee get the 4 holer, not the 3 holer.
you can go to Lees website and get the 4 holer off it, reconditioned or refurbished. Plus you can get the turrets for $9 on the close out page also.
On the question you asked above the turret is supported within the frame. I don't like loading rifle on it though, due to there is a slight flex on the turret, when you load, I myself like the solid of the dies in my Orange Crusher or Hornady on rifle.
But for pistol this slight flex is negligible to me.

As discussed on an earlier thread, when talking about turrets, you really need to dfferentiate. Lee Turrets are really a progressive type or semi- progressive type of press if you will, since they self index.

All other turrets are manual indexing. So, do you wish to look at manual or auto indexing turrets? Two different animals.

But then theres the argument a semi or progressive type of press produces a round with every pull of the handle, whereas a turret takes at least 3 -4 pulls of the handle to produce 1 round, just like a single stage, except you dont remove the dies and replace with the next die.
Good debate could start on this!!

BruceB
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I started handloading with a single-station press in '66.

Within a few months I had added a Lyman All-American turret press, which I STILL consider to be my most-useful press, even though I also have a Dillon 550B and a Rockchucker mounted beside it.

In using a turret WITHOUT interchangeable tool heads, I simply lock the die rings after the dies are correctly adjusted. Dies are then stored with their adjustments intact, allowing rapid caliber changes by just switching dies and shell-holder. This works well, only requiring POSSIBLE changes in the seating die settings for different bullets or cases.

The A-A press produces around 200 rounds per hour for ME, far faster than my single-stage press using the "batch-processing" method. My routine loads each case to completion, rotating the turret from station-to-station for the various steps until the cartridge is complete. I do not feel any need whatever for auto-indexing.

This A-A has an adjustable support post at the rear of the turret, which prevents undue motion by the turret when force is applied. Other presses may have similar provisions, but some do not.

trixter
02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
The toilet chain returns the disk in the powder dispenser to the fill position. The Lee Classic Turret press is very sturdy and the turret sits atop the machine and rotates from die to die with each stroke of the handle. I use mine for 45ACP, 223/556, 300 Savage and 30-06. I have a turret set up for each one and all I have to do is change the disk in the powder dispenser and I am all set. I love it and can't justify a full progressive because of the amount I shoot. Maybe some day??

FLHTC
02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
The toilet chain returns the disk in the powder dispenser to the fill position. The Lee Classic Turret press is very sturdy and the turret sits atop the machine and rotates from die to die with each stroke of the handle. I use mine for 45ACP, 223/556, 300 Savage and 30-06. I have a turret set up for each one and all I have to do is change the disk in the powder dispenser and I am all set. I love it and can't justify a full progressive because of the amount I shoot. Maybe some day??

Suppose you want to adjust the powder charge by a few tenths of a grain? Do you only load what the discs will throw or are they adjustable?

joec
02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
You can often get closer to an exact charge but either changing the disk size you are using or in some cases use two disks even for a charge you can do with one to get it closer. Also Lee's micro meter will work as a second disk though I've never tried it though I have modified my set up to accept 3 disks as a few powders in large rifle cases where charging lower than I wanted.

gefiltephish
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Lee has the adjustable charge bar (acb) available for the auto disk dispenser. As is, it is not consistent at very low charges unless modified. Once modified, it has worked very well for me and I can dial in whatever charge I want, like 2.8gr of TG or BE.

I also have an LNL AP and LCT. I really like 'em both. I use the LCT for work up loads, or smaller runs when I don't want to change the LNL over.

DxieLandMan
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I have the Lee Pro 1000 and I love it! For loading pistol calibers in high quantity, it can't be beat. Plus, it is cheaper than most so I have a pro 1000 for each pistol caliber I load.