PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen This?

thehouseproduct
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
http://thehousebmx.com/arfcom/photo%202.JPG
Never had this happen before. The whole back of the case blew off. Think it was OOB discharge?

cloakndagger
02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmm.. its belled out or so it looks to be, oob and weak case stars aligned to produce this catastrophe along with a hard to extract comet thrown in mebbe? When I first saw it I was thinking "airsoft gun?" (yea i shoot plastic bbs at friends, its my stress reliever when casting and reloading just doesnt cut it)

LUTNIT
02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I've seen pics of the results of OOB firing and they are usually more damaging to the rifle as well as a more ragged case. If I had to guess I would say simply a case head separation. Looks like the case was partially pulled out of the chamber before it came off completely. I've had it happen in bolt actions and look semi belled like that but never a semi. I'm assuming it was a reload and not factory ammo?

Bren R.
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm assuming it was a reload and not factory ammo?

That's usually the less likely assumption in a rimfire forum.

Bren R.

dale2242
03-01-2013, 05:45 AM
OK, What`s OOB?....dale

flounderman
03-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I saw a winchester target 22 blow the whole back off in a 52 winchester, years ago. didn't hurt anything but the shooters nerves. either an overload or a weak case head. Most rifles are designed to not fire out of battery.

Case Stuffer
03-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Yes posted in the rimfire forum but I have learned throught years of forums useage that 90% do not nbotice Forums / Sub-Forums. As the firearm was not named and not everyone can tell from a glancing look at a [hoto especially as many surf on a small screen smart phone while waiting in line for a sandwish or coffe I can understand the confusion.

OOB most likely used to mean Out of Battery which could also be OOL out of lock. Some seem to fire high capacity semi-autos as rapidly as possible. this can lead to Cook Offs and not of the Chillie or BB Q type.

imashooter2
03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I recently had the head blow off a Remington Golden Bullet in a S&W 617. Hard to picture the 617 firing OOB...

khmer6
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Out of battery. I've see them sometimes. Pretty scary for my nephews when it happens. Blows the mag and mag release off the mossberg 715

429421Cowboy
03-01-2013, 10:44 PM
That is crazy looking, it seems like it is just sitting in there backwards the head came off so perfect! The only .22 rounds i have ever had come apart on me were from a semi auto that fired OOB, and they were way more mangled than that, i would suspect the ammo and not the gun on this one!