PDA

View Full Version : 300 Savage

GRUMPA
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Right now I'm working on converting 308 into 300 savage. Thing is I gave all of my 300 savage cases to a member and I need to know the case weights. I know that when I convert brass I rank up there in the extreme part but I'm making them from Mil brass and would just like to compare.

So if I could get a couple of case weight numbers from a couple of members along with the head stamp I would appreciate it

Shepherd2
02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
I only have 2 brands of cases empty at the moment. I weighed 3 of each. The R-P cases are new and the WW Super are used if it makes any difference.

R-P - 154.2, 155.2, 154.8

WW - 158.7, 158.3, 157.2

GRUMPA
02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
I appreciate the effort Sheperd2 this helps me more than you know.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Grumpa,

I first read your post as your wanting to convert a .308 rifle to .300 Savage and while I have nothing against a .300 savage, it kind of seemed like a step back.

That being said and with me finally understanding where your going, that should be a fairely easy forming process.

You might try Imperial Sizing Wax if your standard lube give any problems.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

GRUMPA
02-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Grumpa,

I first read your post as your wanting to convert a .308 rifle to .300 Savage and while I nave nothing against a .300 savage, it kind of seemed like a step back.

That being said and with me finally understanding where your going, that should be a fairely easy forming process.

You might try Imperial Sizing Wax if your standard lube give any problems.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The 308 cases I'm starting from are blanks, and the way that they're made a person can't make them into 308's they have to be made into something else. As luck would have it if you want to call it that they can be converted into 300 savage with a little work.

No point in having something like that just go to the scrap yard, at least this way I'll give them a second life.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Makes sense to me!

I make .308 cases into .243 at time, just because I can.

Prefer to do so when I have a big batch of like cases as it makes for better consistancy.

At one time, I used STP for the forming lube and it worked great. But then the mess of cleaning up!!!!!!!!!

The Imperial Sizing Wax does a fine job and it is easy to wipe the cases clean.

Let us know how it works out.

CDOC

GRUMPA
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
When I form brass I use my swaging lube, which for me works well since I can make my own in no time and for very little coin. I have 2 formulas that I use and just used the second which works out just as well as the first, 50/50 mix of Lanolin I get from a member and either Vaseline or Castor Oil, and I don't care how much force I use either for swaging or case forming it makes the job easier.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Interesting!

CDOC