PDA

View Full Version : CVA Buckhorn, PRBs, FPBs, and 777

Sportsman Matt
02-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Well I've been experimenting out in the great cold weather of New England with my latest acquisition, a CVA Buckhorn Magnum rifle and here's what I've sort of discovered for myself.

First off it's a 1-28" twist barrel and running open sights.
And it was a balmy 16 degrees with 35mph gusting crosswinds, perfect hunting weather for New England.

So I set up targets at 25yds, 50yds, and 100yds. First load was the FPB by Hornady. 300 grains with no skirt, and took lots more than 25 lbs of force to get it down the pipe. The powder was 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and a Winchester Triple Seven primer. First shot, 3" high 1/4" left at 25yds, dead center sight hold.

So I swabbed the bore with 2 patches, and loaded 30 grains of 777 with a .490 patched round ball and a .010 patch. Put a nice hit 4 1/2" high and 1" to the left. Cleaned and repeated with another ball, hit 5" high centered 1/4" left. Cleaned and repeated and hit 4" high 1/4" left. So now I got a nice 1" three shot group, about 1 1/2" above the 300 grain FPB bullet.

So now I had to head in to warm up, and also it was time for the gun club monthly meeting. After the meeting I went out and decided to try the 50 and 100 yard range targets. Well the wind blew the 50 yard somewhere into the woods, so I shot at the 100 yard target. First shot 30 grains, patched round ball, hit 5 1/2" left and 5 1/4" high. Second shot was done dirty, no in between cleaning, and hit 2 1/2" low and 6" right. Cleaned the bore and figures the third shot was off the paper 2" high and 8" right. Rather large group.

So now I'm getting the wind kicking me around, I figure I'll send 3 more prbs down range to one of those marking bulls eye targets that record the hit in green. Cleaning between shots, I had a nice 2 shot group, about 4"high and 1" to the left, with the third going right 3" but still high at 4". So I decide I've got a dirty bore, try and feed another 80 grains of 777 and a FPB down the bore. And I was surprised the bull let slid down like nothing, slight resistance, but nothing like trying to seat on a clean bore. And it hit 2" high 1/4" right of center. Cleaned the bore and the third FPB was hard to start like the first one, and it hit 1/2" left of the FPB I put on the paper minutes earlier.

So what did I learn from all this......
It was way to cold and windy to be doing this at my age, should have waited for warmer weather.
But the FPB load easy on a fouled barrel, and reduced loads down to 30 grains or less for patched round ball will show accuracy, just need more range time in warmer weather and less wind.