PDA

View Full Version : 300 acc blackout dies

02-19-2013, 12:05 AM
what are your feelings about diferent brands of reloading dies for this ,also for forming your own brass thanks

nhrifle
02-19-2013, 12:41 AM
My Lee dies have formed about 5000 cases for me, and resized about half that many, no problems.

crawfobj
02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
I use the Redding form/trim die and a set of Redding dies. You need the extended shellholder with the form/trim die.

nhrifle
02-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Shoot a PM to Grumpa. He has probably formed more Blackout brass than anyone and would know what works and what doesn't.

andremajic
02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I have a set of forster and Lee dies. I bought the lee ones from a co-worker.

Drawback I had with the forster was the decapping pin would come out when trying to decap crimped primer brass, and I'd have to dig thru the spent primers to find it.

The lees punch it right out, and resize without needing to swage the crimps out. A quick twist with the deburring tool takes the crimp out later.

I'm happy with the lee quality.

bruce drake
02-22-2013, 12:31 AM
I use RCBS 300/221 Fireball dies (300BLK dies weren't readily available a few years ago.) and I will tell you I am very happy with the quality of the dies. I use LEE's cartridge length guage to trim my brass. very consistent lengths that way.

Bruce

blikseme300
02-22-2013, 03:00 AM
I have Hornady, Lee and Redding and these are my opinions based on my experiences forming and reloading about 3500 rounds.

The order below is influenced by the fact that the vast majority of my reloads in this caliber use cast boolits.

The best all round is the Hornady. Forming is more uniform because of the ball expander and boolit seating is easier and more precise due to the seating sleeve. Together with the Lee FCD it is my prime configuration on a Hornady LnL AP.

Second place is the Lee together with the FCD. Economical and works well.

Third is the Redding. Very well made but least used for this caliber so scores lowest because of low usage.

CATTLEMAN
03-13-2013, 03:24 AM
I use Lee because they were available at the time and I am happy with them. On a tight chambered rifle I run the brass through a 223 small base die first. I had to shorten the seater stem to seat the NOE 247 boolit.

I will probably upgrade to Forster Ultra die after the panic is over.

I have formed all of my own brass from LC 556 and the lee die has done fine. I did order some extra decap / expand stems in anticipation of breaking mine but so far the original is holding up fine.

I cut the cases at the shoulder, decap them in a universal die, lube them, run them through the small base die, then the lee sizer, trim, anneal and chamfer. They work great!

Moonie
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I load for 2 300 BO uppers on a set of Lee dies, not had any problems with them.

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2013, 01:26 AM
I just picked up a set of Hornady dies. That's "the" set I could find. I was also able to order a Lee crimp die. Hopefully, I'm set to reload... as soon as I get some brass from Grumpa... :-)

A pause for the COZ
03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
My Lee dies are working just fine.

GRUMPA
03-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I use(d) a bunch by whomever made them for different uses, I've done as many as 28K on a busy month and used them all. I wont get into a lot of detail but if the OP wants to PM me that's fine but all the dies I've used work just fine for the person forming brass from scratch with just a few things to watch for.

I will say this about LEE size dies though, I go through expander plugs like crazy, the metal wasn't hard enough and would wear out in a month. Keep in mind the volume I do so don't go getting the wrong message, so I went to a Redding on my second sizing operation ( I do 2) and so far after about 100K it's still within my specs, but I know your not doing the same volume I am so keep that in mind.

If you want to roll your own brass then do it, I like hearing folks taking the time to learn how to do things, just 2 things that are real important when forming brass. If you cut them to length first make sure you take the time to de-burr them prior to forming, and ALWAYS make sure your brass is clean and use a good lube.

lmfd20
03-24-2013, 12:38 AM
I use lee dies including the factory crimp die. I just got my Redding 300 fireball trim die in that I will be using to form my brass from here on.