PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die expander plug

wcp4570
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
I have a 38 pistol die and a 30 rifle die, and was looking at purchasing new m dies for 223, 243, and 6.5. It seems to me that just buying the expander plug would be somewhat cheaper and changing calibers would only require changing the plug and not the complete die. I was thinking about contacting Lyman to see if I could just buy the expander plug for the 3 new calibers. I would like to hear from others and what they have and use for different calibers. If someone has purchased expander plugs from Lyman, what was the price of the expander plugs? Thanks

wcp

bayjoe
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Look up Lee Universal expander die. Way cheaper

williamwaco
02-18-2013, 11:32 PM
I have a 38 pistol die and a 30 rifle die, and was looking at purchasing new m dies for 223, 243, and 6.5. It seems to me that just buying the expander plug would be somewhat cheaper and changing calibers would only require changing the plug and not the complete die. I was thinking about contacting Lyman to see if I could just buy the expander plug for the 3 new calibers. I would like to hear from others and what they have and use for different calibers. If someone has purchased expander plugs from Lyman, what was the price of the expander plugs? Thanks

wcp

Yes.

You can use many caliber plugs in a single die body.

AND

There are several members here who will make you custom expander plugs for your M dies.

GabbyM
02-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Lyman sells the separate plugs direct.
I've always bought the entire die. Usually one at a time along with a catalog order and didn't want to pay a separate postage on another order from Lyman.

02-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Last time I bought Lyman plugs they were $4.95.

Comparing the Lee die to the Lyman die is comparing apples to oranges. Two different tools with two different functions.

Cord
02-19-2013, 02:38 AM
IIRC, If you go to the Lyman website it you can see them
on the diagram but they are not listed separately to buy.

So I phoned in and a young lady who was very nice but
not all that knowledgeable spent alot of time getting me
just what I wanted to order.

I ended up getting 7 different plugs and 7 shafts,
4 short and 3 long, and a stop screw for my 450 sizer
all for about $48 shipped.

Well worth it to me to leave the plugs screwed in tight
and swap the shafts in and out of the die bodies.

This was about 3 months ago.

dromia
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Comparing the Lee die to the Lyman die is comparing apples to oranges. Two different tools with two different functions.

Concur!

Contact Buckshot on the forum here, he will make you spuds for your "M" die to your exact spcification. Thats who I get mine from as well as non standard H&I dies and sundry other items.

oldfart1956
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
wcp, whenever you get ready to order your new expanders remember to include the length you want. Very important! Measure the boolit from base to where you're going to crimp or set the over all length. It matters. Even if it's expanding the right dia. if it's not doing it for the length of the boolit (that part inside the case mouth) it will still swage down the boolit at the base. Ends up looking like a "heeled" boolit. Been there...done that. Audie...the Oldfart..

wcp4570
02-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Got a lot of good info from you fellows as always. I think I will be ordering the expander with shafts as Cord mentioned in his reply. Save a few bucks here and there so I can buy more shell plates for the piggy back. Thanks to everyone for your input.

wcp