PDA

View Full Version : Gave grandson a shotgun

carpetman
07-30-2007, 01:07 AM
I gave my grandson a rifle and it's been doing well for him. He did some clay bird shooting and needed a shotgun,so I fixed him up with a 20 guage Remington semi auto. Wasn't about to let my 20 guage Win model 12 go nor my Win mod 42 .410.

trickyasafox
07-30-2007, 08:11 AM
thats great! my first 22 was a hand me down from my father. My first shotgun however, was bought new. i wish we had a few more hand-me-downs. i kinda like the history/ heirloom feel.

con10der
08-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Guns Handed Down From Family Members Mean Alot More Than A New Gun Bought At Supermart
J.r.

krag35
08-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Once at a gun show I saw a Browning Auto for sale. Engraved on the side was "Happy birthday Brian" "Grandpa" "1976" At first I was kind of taken aback that someone would engrave that on a firearm, then I was pissed at Brian for letting it go.
I have my Dad's '98 Krag carbine, My Papaw's '62 winchester and would part with neither.

krag35

scrapcan
08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I hear you guys on the pass it downs. I have and will have the first rifle passed down to me until I nolonger breath. The rifle is on it's 4th generation with me. I just need to figure out who gets it next. I got teh win94 38-55 with full rifle length barrel for a high school graduation gift from my uncle ( more like a dad as are my moms other 5 brothers).

Anyway Just wanted to say way to go, the kid wil never forget the gift.

KCSO
08-24-2007, 11:18 AM
In 1923 My Great Uncle and My Grandfather took a load ow wheat to town and came back with a M97 Winchester. My dad and my uncle learned on that gun and it was my first shotgun. In 1988 it was my boys first shotgun and I am looking forward to teaching my grandson with the same gun. The history of the gun and the various owners is on a paper under the buttplate. My daughter has my dad's first semi auto pistol and I have my great uncle's 45. My Chief Deputy has a Marlin lever gun passed down in his wife's family since they traded a load of hay to Buffalo Bill, he got it 'cause no one in that family wanted a rusty old gun!

Swagerman
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm in my 70s, and still have the little .32 acp pistol my mother gave me after my dad died back in 61.

Dad bought that little .32 acp pistol back before WW-2. He carried it while making his rounds of the oil wells for the oil company he worked for.

There was a mad dog scare going around in his area and he was warned to be on the look out for them. One day he came out of the engine pump house and was nose to kneecap to big brown dog. Talk about your fast draws, dad whipped out that little pistol and shoved it right to the doggies nose. Mr. dog certainly knew what a gun was, he just hunkered down flat on the ground in a very submissive fashion. Dad realized the dog was not rabid, and gave him a friendly pat on the head.

Another time with the little .32 acp pistol, a very bad and brutal strike was happening in the oil fields. Communist led strike unions were causing a lot of the oil field workers to be beaten up on the job. The favorite method of the thugs was to use pick-axe handles and in that way a few skulls got cracked.

The company told the workers to drive around in pairs for protection. Pop wasn't about to let the thugs use a pick-axe handle on his head, he had to support a growing family who depended on him.

Sure enough, they got stopped by a bad group of pick-axe weilding union thugs, dad was setting in the right hand passenger seat, his fellow worker was driving and stupidly stopped for the crowd blocking their way. A lot of cussing and blustering was going on while dad put the .32 acp pistol between his legs and accuated the slide by placing a cartridge in the chamber. It suddenly got real quiet and the thugs stepped back from the car and shut their mouths. Dad told the moron driving to step on the gas before he had to start shooting.

As they drove off, the driver said he liked to crapped his pants when he heard that pistol being cocked.

I still have that gun, its not much of a pistol, but the memories are priceless.

It will get passed on to my oldest son.

Jim