PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at Pancake style holster

Topper
07-29-2007, 11:58 PM
I haven't messed with leather in a few years, so I decided to pull out my tools and try something new.

Updated pics, final finish applied.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/Back_View.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/Front_View.jpg

joatmon
07-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Now that is nice! You have a talent. I want to try my hand at a six cartrage slide for 32mag and one for 45lc with only two things stoping me, tools and talent!

Ghugly
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Great job. The little Mak looks snug as a bug. Is that machine stitching? I'm so woefully ignorant about leather craft that I don't even know what sort of tools are involved.

Johnch
07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
:bigsmyl2: Looks great :bigsmyl2:
You defintly know what you are doing

I have a store bought holster that dosn't look that nice :takinWiz:

John

Topper
07-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks gentleman.
That is hand stitched, each hole individually punched.
First you make a pattern using the gun as a guide on thick non-perforated card board.
Then you have to calculate stitching line using the width of the gun + the thickness of the leather plus liner.
To wet form it, you oil your gun and wrap it in seran wrap, then shove it in the water softened leather after sticching the ouline.
Carefully use a spoon and your fingers to give it the "boned" shape and smooth surface.
Let air dry with a fan blowing on it, rubbing it again when it's almost completely dried to compress the leather fibers for a smoother finish.
I'm putting the final finish on it now and will update the pics once completed.

Ricochet
07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
That does look nice! :-D

I made something somewhat similar back around 1998 or so (and just started using last week) that goes inside the waistband but has straps that go around the belt and snap. I'll have to get some pics of it and post it. It was my first leather project, and it turned out rather well considering.

joatmon
08-04-2007, 11:58 PM
What weight leather is that? (the Tandy catalog is on the way)

Ricochet
08-05-2007, 12:24 PM
While you're waiting, you may want to browse: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Topper
08-05-2007, 12:57 PM
6 ounce weight plus the liner which was approximately 1.5 ounce.
You want vegetable tanned ONLY.
Other modern day tanning process will damage metal finishes. ;-)

joatmon
08-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks to both of you!

pumpguy
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Nice job Topper. Let us know when you start selling them. I might be in the market!!![smilie=1:

Ghugly
08-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Topper and Ricochet:drinks: . I was so impressed by what you guys did that I tried it.
The first two pics are of my first attempt at leatherworking (other than punching new holes in my belt and tying my shoes). It does exactly what I intended it to do. It locks the Bulldog to the inside of my pants, stone solid, not a bit of movement....the gun actually snaps into the holster. The third picture is of a Don Hume holster that I am now happy with. The reason that I made the black holster was that I was never really happy with the way the Don Hume rode. It was top heavy and I was forever adjusting it. With my new found courage at hand, I disassembled the Don Hume and relocated the belt clip. Now I have two holsters that work great.:-D

Topper
10-20-2007, 01:52 AM
Nice work there:-)
I'm thinking of trying a clip on inside waistband next.
Anyone know what would be the best material to make a clip from, please enlighten.

Ghugly
10-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Tandy Leather sells clips for around $2 a pop. They have a few different sizes and the quality seems good.

Topper
10-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks GH;-)