PDA

View Full Version : Can't stay out of gun shops

Olevern
02-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Lookin for something to do today while the wife and her friend were off shopping, so, picked up two of the boys I mentor and set off for a gun shop about seventy miles away. Not lookin for anything in particular, had in mind to look over the used rifle racks and see if they had any primers or powder I could use (or bricks of .22's).

Took the boys out for lunch when we arrived in the town where the shop is, then went over to the Walmart (one of the boys had some birthday money he wanted to spend and this Walmart is one of three about equidistance from where we live but in different directions. The boy spent his money on a cell phone and minutes card and we headed over to the gun shop.

Looked around and boy #2 was hanging around and fondling the crossbows (most priced in the $800.00 range) while I looked at the used gun racks. I examined a Win. model 92 in exc original condition in 25-20 cal priced at $1595.00 - a bit pricy for me.

Went over to the handgun counter and saw a Walther P-38 in decent condition (don't know if it was a refinish, but doubt it as it was the crappy finish of the late war-time production). Anyway was priced at $395.00....probably a good price, but just not enough interest in it.

Then saw a T/C Contender 10 inch in a caliber I don't have with muzzle brake and a scope priced at $495.00. Only problem was, the frame was either stainless steel or that funky plating T/C used for a short time and which makes it not compatible with blued or stainless barrels. The barrel or action is not marked anywhere I could see with the proprietary name of the plating (I think it was called Armor Alloy).

Anybody here know how, short of bringing a blue barrel back to the store and trying it on the gun in question, to determine if the gun and barrel are stainless steel or Armor Alloy?

gotta stop spending money in gunshops.......gotta stop spending money in gun shops.....gotta stop spending money in gunshops....ah heck, you only live once!

boltons75
02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
My TC Triumph inline has the weather shield coating on it, could that be what your thinking?

wolfe28
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Good Evening;

If I remember correctly, the Armor Alloy frames and barrels used a different (and smaller) diameter barrel hinge pin. That would be one thing to check.

D

John Allen
02-18-2013, 11:06 PM
The Armor Alloy barrels are usually stamp AA on the bottom.

lar45
02-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I have a Stainless Contender and it handles the blued and stainless barrels just fine.

MT Gianni
02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
IIRC, Armaloy bbl only worked with Armaloy frames. It could have been the pin. You could ask the owner to mike the hole.