PDA

View Full Version : peep for ruger #1

kennisondan
07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
I have a ruger #1; the rear sight is bad, it seems. does not stand up straight. would like to have a peep for it, but wonder if that would work out being so far in the front.
what are you all doing .. if you use peeps.
I can get another rear sight, but would rather a peep that took inserts so I can remove them or not.
dk

Bullshop
07-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I had one of the new england custom guns sights for the ruger #1 and it was a well made stout sight. It mounts on the rear scope base slots.
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Another NECG sight here. It doesn't offer a range of aperture sizes, and mounts a little forward of where some folks like there peep sights placed. All in all, I like the sight.

versifier
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Williams makes their Fool Proof reciever sight for the Ruger #1: (FP-RSS).

axman
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a negc peep and it works good and is well made, they also have out a sourdough front that should be the ticket for hunting.

exblaster
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Has anyone ever tried mounting a peep sight on the safety on a #1 or #3 Ruger?
Exblaster

John Taylor
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Exblaster

Many years ago I was working for a smith that mounted a tang sight on a #1. He made a new base for the sight that had a slide on the side to operate the safety. The thumb slide was cut down so it just had a stud sticking up to work with the new side mounted slide. Quite a bit of fancy machine work but it worked good. The draw back is that you are limited to the length of cartridge/ rim diameter when you add something to the tang.
Another thought would be to make a wider base and cut a slot for the safety and have the base go over the wood some.

exblaster
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks John I have seen something like that before. By the way have you thought any more about my Martini.
Exblaster

kennisondan
08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
thanks to all... I will shop both of those and make a decision.. the side discusion was interesting as well.. like to see pix of that.

dk

Cimarron Red
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
kenisondan,

Not to sound a negative note here, but I tried the NEGC peep sight on my RSI in 7 x 57. I did not like it at all, and immediately sold it to someone on the SASS wire. It mounts too far forward of the eye, and there was something I disliked about the aperture itself. Sorry, but I don't remember as this has been several years ago.

exblaster,

I had considered trying to mount one of the short-base Marble's tang sights to a hand made, highly modified safety slide so that the shooter would push the whole assembly forward to disengage the safety. It should be easy enough for a good metal man. But, alas, other projects have taken priority. Here I am about 6 years later, and I'm still thinking about it. BTW, the Marble's sight I speak of is one of those designed to be mounted behind the tang safety on recently-produced Winchester lever guns.

BAGTIC
08-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Exblaster

I have a #1 45-70 that I bought for the action. It had been rebarreled with a bull barrel and some nitwit had soldered/brazed a peep directly to the safety button. The most fouled up unusable piece of crap I have ever seen.

I have a New England Custom Firearms peep that I use on my other No. 1.

Cimarron Red
08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi, Bagtic,

Any thing poorly executed is an abomination. I still think such a job, if well done, would work fine. Of course, my idea is to fabricate a new safety button rather than hammer-mechanicking the original safety. Did the one on your rifle function? What sight was used?