PDA

View Full Version : Shooting mats

Harpman
07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
thinking about the CED or the Dillon mat, or is there a better one, roll up type ?. you guys have any suggestions or recommendations ?....was thinking if they are too thin, I have one those GI issue roll up mats I could slip inside it and then resew it closed....

Jon K
07-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Harpman,

All the mats from the major players are good products. Kinda like Ford vs Chevy, it's a personal choice thing.
Besides the roll ups, there are the Tri-folds.
http://www.centerthegroup.com/trifold08.htm
I bought one of these, because I wanted something that would lay flat even when the wind starts to blow, and it is evenly padded thoughout. Also, when packing up the gear, it doesn't take up a lot of space. Stack stuff on it, or put it between stuff for padding.

Again, it's what lites your fire. Walk up & down the line at any match BPCRS, Creedmore, Smallbore, or Long Range, you'll see a lot to choose from.

Jon

Dale53
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I would suggest that you PERSONALLY take a look at any mat before you buy. Some mats look good on the floor but really don't offer much padding as they compress completely in use. You need FIRM foam inside and a washable outside cover (they get dirty when your "friends" tramp all over them with their dirty feet! A rubber friction piece for your elbows is also nice to keep slippage to a minimum.

I use a Tri-fold pad that has closed cell foam (very firm but really comfortable) with a rubber non slip surface.

One other thing, if the pad is in direct sun when you shoot, a black surface will get hot enough to literally burn you. Either carry a towel (white) to cover the pad while you are not using it, or be sure that you get a light colored surface. Mine has black and will roast you if left unattended in direct sun. I cover it with a heat reflecting white towel when it has to be left in direct sun. The newer ones have gray rubber surface and do not get NEARLY so hot.

Here is a look at a mat that has almost everything that you need:

http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html

Dale53