PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the panic is continuing and gaining strength....

Harry O
02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Went to a gunshow this weekend. There was no Garand in the entire place priced at less than $1800, and those looked like Field grade or even worse. There were some that looked like Service grades in the $2200 to $2400 range. There were two that looked like Service grades that had early "lock bar" rear sights at $2800 and $2900. There was one M1-D with a scope and mount. I have no idea if it was original, was made up from original parts, or was made up with replica parts. It was just short of $4000. No, I did not field strip to check the parts of any of them.

There was literally nothing in the show that had not been marked up considerably. It is no longer limited to AR-15's, AK-47's, ammo, or reloading supplies. Revolvers, bolt-action rifles, reloading dies, etc. were also marked up. I don't think I want to even go back to a gunshow until this panic passes.

Hickory
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I might have to engage in some controlled panic buying, I'm getting a little low on primers.

felix
02-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Fort Smith had a gun show a couple of weekends ago. The kids went and sold their AK47 with 1500 rounds of left over ammo. The money they got within 20 minutes was more than they ever paid for the gun and all the ammo ever shot in the gun. Get this: That gun has seen more than 10,000 rounds since 2000 or so and has never been cleaned but a couple of times that I actually know of. ... felix

izzyjoe
02-18-2013, 11:08 PM
i don't think it's gona die down anytime soon, and it's never gona be the same!

Andrew Mason
02-18-2013, 11:11 PM
i don't think it's gona die down anytime soon, and it's never gona be the same!

i agree.
eventualy things will calm down and the stores will have stock again,
but the prices will never be "pre-sandy hook"

williamwaco
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
i agree.
eventualy things will calm down and the stores will have stock again,
but the prices will never be "pre-sandy hook"

I fear you are a prophet.

Artful
02-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Oh, it will eventually form a bubble of artificial prices at will be unsustainable and the bubble will burst.

Fly
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I still think the goverment has bought up alot of the ammo with our money.

Fly

Fly
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
What's funny after posting the above post, I turned on the news.There was a story about
the ammo shortage.It seems law inforcement & some home land goverment are buying
up ammo, as there afraid they we be short on ammo also.

You got to love it. Fly

Recaster
02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
just started reloading, looking to better my groups with my crusty old Mosin. Going to the gun show this weekend, hope there are some LR primers, (prob need powder too) i can't find any around. I have a few primers and a little bit of varget but i don't want my new hobby to die before it gets started. I'm supposed to get a couple hundred bullets this week. Probably need to find that mold as well. Maybe i should take some 22LR to trade.

izzyjoe
02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I still think the goverment has bought up alot of the ammo with our money.

Fly

you're right about that, DHS ordered 450 million rounds of 40s&w.

Doc65
02-19-2013, 09:00 PM
that was round 2, first round was like 750 million.

you're right about that, DHS ordered 450 million rounds of 40s&w.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
With the current political situation, I'm afraid it's no longer panic buying. It's preparing for what is likely coming.

izzyjoe
02-19-2013, 10:52 PM
that was round 2, first round was like 750 million.
wow i did'nt know that!

Gray Fox
02-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Makes you wonder if the Dear Leader isn't just having all the DHS minions buy up the total US manufacturing cabability so that there can't be anything left downstream for us. OTOH, I think Dave up north of me in Flowery Branch is probably correct and my gut tells me we'll be lucky to celebrate one more Independence Day. GF

Ed in North Texas
02-20-2013, 12:48 AM
What's funny after posting the above post, I turned on the news.There was a story about
the ammo shortage.It seems law inforcement & some home land goverment are buying

You got to love it. Fly

The Feds have bought over 1 Billion rounds of 9mm and .40 S&W. Mark Levin says they bought enough to put 5 rounds into every man, woman and child in the US, including the all the illegals. Homeland Security, et al, claim it is only for quarterly qualification purposes. Wonder if it was one, or two, decades they bought enough for. Levin thinks they are stocking up for the collapse of society. I truly hope he's absolutely wrong - and glad I have a decent supply of ammo.

deces
02-20-2013, 05:45 AM
The Feds have bought over 1 Billion rounds of 9mm and .40 S&W. Mark Levin says they bought enough to put 5 rounds into every man, woman and child in the US, including the all the illegals. Homeland Security, et al, claim it is only for quarterly qualification purposes. Wonder if it was one, or two, decades they bought enough for. Levin thinks they are stocking up for the collapse of society. I truly hope he's absolutely wrong - and glad I have a decent supply of ammo.
Welcome to the new Dark ages...

Hang Fire
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
"Welcome to the new Dark ages... " As the LSM now tells us, this is the new norm.

deces
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm gona jump off the deep end here and post an article I found appalling.

DHS Supplier Provides Shooting Targets of American Gun Owners

Company produces cardboard cut-outs of “non-traditional threats”: Pregnant women, elderly & children
A provider of “realistic” shooting targets to the Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies has created a line of “non-traditional threat” targets that include pregnant women, mothers in playgrounds and elderly American gun owners.
Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. is a 21-year designer and full service provider of training targets for the DHS, the Justice Department and thousands of law enforcement agencies throughout the country.

The company’s website offers a line of “No More Hesitation” targets “designed to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training.” The targets are, “meant to help the transition for officers who are faced with these highly unusual targets for the first time.”

The targets include “pregnant woman threat,” “older man with shotgun,” “older man in home with shotgun,” “older woman with gun,” “young school aged girl,” “young mother on playground,” and “little boy with real gun.”

Why are top training target suppliers for the government supplying the likes of the DHS with “non-traditional threat” targets of children, pregnant women, mothers in playgrounds, and elderly American gun owners unless there is a demand for such items?

This is particularly alarming given the fact that the Department of Homeland Security has purchased roughly 2 billion rounds of ammunition over the course of the last year, enough to wage a near 30 year war.

In comparison, during the height of active battle operations in Iraq, US soldiers used 5.5 million rounds of ammunition a month.

The DHS also purchased no less than 7,000 fully automatic assault rifles last September, labeling them “Personal Defense Weapons.”

The fact that targets of armed pregnant women, children, mothers in playgrounds, and American gun owners in general are being represented as “non traditional threats” “for the first time” is deeply concerning given the admitted preparations for civil unrest undertaken by Homeland Security as well as other federal agencies.

A leaked US Army Military Police training manual for “Civil Disturbance Operations” also outlines how military assets are to be used domestically to quell riots, confiscate firearms and even kill Americans on U.S. soil during mass civil unrest.

This also dovetails with the continuing characterization of Americans who are “suspicious of centralized federal authority,” and “reverent of individual liberty” as “extreme right-wing” terrorists by DHS-funded studies.

The US military trained last year to take on another “unusual target” – zombies – which some fear is just a ruse to get troops used to engaging crowds of people with deadly force. As Alex Jones documented in his film Police State 2000, numerous “urban warfare” training drills stretching back well over a decade have revolved around incarcerating and battling the American people on domestic soil.

See the other “non-traditional threats” that are being provided in the form of shooting targets to the DHS and thousands of law enforcement agencies below.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/dhs-supplier-provides-shooting-targets-of-american-gun-owners.html
How far down dose the rabbit hole go? Click on the link for pictures of the targets.

Fly
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks deces, I did not know that.
Fly

1Shirt
02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Panic buying, hoarding, price gouging all seem to go with supply and demand based upon fear of the government and the current administration.
1Shirt!

historicfirearms
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks deces, I'm going to have your picture burned in my brain all night. Thanks...

burr7870
02-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Better becareful deces they may make a target from your picture!!!!! :)

deces
02-20-2013, 08:57 PM
IDC, Its not really me.
The dudes bed is what freaks me out the most in the picture

runfiverun
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
i see the picture is cleverly cropped right where the ankle bracelet would be...

NSP64
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Well, The way the cops lit up that truck in cali, they are going to need all the ammo(still didn't kill anyone. LOL

phaessler
02-20-2013, 10:24 PM
i see the picture is cleverly cropped right where the ankle bracelet would be...

The video game guitar was pointed out to me by my 10y.o..... Obviously someone taking pics while Mom was at work...lol

deces
02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
The video game guitar was pointed out to me by my 10y.o..... Obviously someone taking pics while Mom was at work...lol

And here I thought this pic was from the 90's

Ed in North Texas
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Well, The way the cops lit up that truck in cali, they are going to need all the ammo(still didn't kill anyone. LOL

Good point. Those officers were probably part of the crowd which the FI had to chase down for qualification. Wonder how often they qualify in that department. 1 or 2x per year? I heard that a lot of local departments have been going to quarterly qualification in the past decade or two.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Down under in Australia we're being told no components out of the USA for 12-18 months!

And folks thought I was silly with a 100+ boolit moulds and 3 ton of lead in my workshop

8mm
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Stopped by a local gun shop today. Parking lot full and barely enough room inside to move about. Business is quite brisk, the majority of which is handgun sales. Shelves in the "black gun" section are full with S&W AR-15 variants along with Bushmasters. Prices are higher than 2 months ago but not at the gouging levels following the CT. shootings. Apparently manufacturers and distributors are answering the demand inspired by politicians. The electorate is responding with their wallets. An applied lesson in capitalism inspired by elected Marxists.

JIMinPHX
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
It seems law inforcement & some home land goverment are buying

Hence, causing the shortage in the first place.

deces
03-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Hence, causing the planned shortage in the first place.

See what I did there?

Hang Fire
03-12-2013, 02:38 AM
1.6 billions rounds of ammo for training of HLS. At one million rounds per day, how long to burn it off?

Wal'
03-12-2013, 03:36 AM
If you think its bad for us...............how do you think our non reloading, non casting brothers & sisters are getting on with their ammo supplies. :lol:

I'll Make Mine
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
1.6 billions rounds of ammo for training of HLS. At one million rounds per day, how long to burn it off?

Almost five years.

Speedo66
03-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Part of the stimulus package no doubt.

MtGun44
03-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Pretty sure, the Billion round number is inaccurate. As far as I have seen, one actual order document
was for 240,000 "units". Elsewhere it said "price quantity of 1,000". So the knuckleheads
multiplied 240,000 units times 1,000 rounds "per unit" and got 240,000,000 rounds. There
were several orders by different groups.

The problem is that if you read closely the PRICE unit is 1,000 rounds but the ORDER
unit is "each". That means 240,000 ROUNDS not 240,000 "1,000 rounds".

This has been reported by bloggers multiple times and I have seen what is said to
be the original RFP document.

I think this is a big error, just repeated by lots of folks too lazy to go back to the
original sources.

Bill