PDA

View Full Version : Who to re-barrell?

tommag
07-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I have a Siamese Mauser originally done by Navy Arms. It has been re-chambered in .450 Ak. When I bought it, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It fits me like a glove. However, the twist rate is 1/34", and only stabilizes 350 gr. or so. The bore is a bit undersize with very shallow grooves. I get pressure signs with a 400 gr. Speer at only 2000fps.
I already have too much money in it, but I like it.
I would like to get it re-barrelled for about a 1/30 or 1/28" twist for heavier cast boolits. I don't need and can't afford Lilja, Pac-Nor, etc. I also need someone to install the front sights, recoil-lug, etc. It has a recoil lug on the bbl several inches in front of the reciever. I would like to stay with .450 Ak since Ihave dies and a fair amount of brass fire-formed.
Any ideas?
Thanks Tom

Blammer
07-29-2007, 09:37 PM
check out ershaw

racepres
07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I will not post links to other sites, as I feel that it is impolite! However, if you want someone to do it for you, and do it really well... drop me a pm... No "It aint me" [as my neighbor Bob says] But If I wanted Quality work... It is where I would go! [ If I could afford him I would not do another "project"]... MV

Char-Gar
07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
The barrel is the heart and soul of a rifle. It doesn't pay to skimp on the barrel or the workman who does the work. I would defer the project until more money could be saved up to do it right.

Just my opinion..others may disagree.

beagle
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Charles....... Check with Dennis Olson in Plains, MT.

He's done a bunch of work for me. Uses Douglas barrels./beagle

45nut
07-30-2007, 12:02 AM
racepres,, we really don't pretend this is the only worthy site on the net. If we can learn something elsewhere then by all means post the link.
I myself visit a few forums where it seems prudent not to post links elsewhere but in all seriousness,, it seems foolish to think one site can offer everything without being bloated and all business. I prefer the open link mode myself.......

JesterGrin_1
07-30-2007, 01:55 AM
racepres,, we really don't pretend this is the only worthy site on the net. If we can learn something elsewhere then by all means post the link.
I myself visit a few forums where it seems prudent not to post links elsewhere but in all seriousness,, it seems foolish to think one site can offer everything without being bloated and all business. I prefer the open link mode myself.......

I have to agree with 45nut. We are here on this site to help each other out. :)

tommag
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
E.R. Shaw seemed like a good place to look. I am only looking for a<200 yd. hunting bbl, rather than a target rifle. I e-mailed Shaw asking them if they did contours and cartridges not listed on their website and received a note back saying that they only built what was listed on their site. Guess I'll look around some more.

racepres
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I would use a Lothar Walther Barrel and have Mike
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/78z1r/Smithing/McCabeCard_Final_A.jpg
put 'er together. He goes by Z1r on other sites!! MV

Safeshot
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Have you tried cast bullets with gas checks. I have seen a .44 mag Marlin lever action with (slow) micro groove rifling shoot 315 gr cast lead gas check bullets very well. You should be able to get much more velocity and stabalize the heavier Cast gas check bullets very well for good accuracy. The undersize bore may be an advantage for you as it will permit the use of standard size bullets to achive a bullet diameter of .001 to .002 over groove diameter. It would be a shame to change the barrel if you can get it to work with "some" bullets.

Bass Ackward
07-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Any ideas? Thanks Tom

Tom,

Chargar expresses my basic opinion. Why trade one problem for another. It costs the same to put on.

I also believe that you might want to look at twist rate. I would go 22 twist. You don't mention how long the barrel is, but I would go another 2" for powder options to counter the twist rate.

Would make the rifle much more .... flexible.

Junior1942
07-31-2007, 08:05 AM
I will not post links to other sites, as I feel that it is impolite! It isn't impolite at all. It's what makes the Internet so valuable, especially when the link is in context with the topic under discussion. Post the link!

hiram
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I have an er shaw button rifled barrel on my siamese mauser -- 45-70. I don't remember the twist. I believe the bbl is 26 or 28". shoots well.

Bad Water Bill
08-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Just my 02 worth. Try Mc Gowen Rifle Barrels. Harry has been doing this work since 1959 in the same location. Great price as of last week when I visited. You wouldnt believe the fast service. If I shouldnt say this please deleat but one week turnaround. I think that is worth talking about in todays marketplace. BWB :castmine:

45nut
08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Sounds like Harry is worth a look.