PDA

View Full Version : Lyman pot vs. RCBS

Moondawg
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Is there any difference worth mentioning (besides price) between the Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour and the RCBS Pro Melt bottom pour pots. I am talking durability, ease of use etc. Where I live and pour I am about 50 feet from salt water so everything rusts, even stainless steel, unless you keep it coated in grease, or like my guns, well oiled and in a safe with a golden rod. I would like a Saeco pot but I fear they have been discontinued.

David2011
02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
My RCBS is alive and well after somewhere between 25-30 years in a garage in League City, TX. It was a bit more than 50 feet from saltwater but still a hostile environment and within a mile of brackish water.

David

Le Loup Solitaire
02-18-2013, 07:41 PM
The RCBS pot..(at least mine which has a date on it of 1978) has a stainless steel crucible/pot and that cannot rust. True stainless doesn't rust. The other exposed metal parts like the mold guide, pour handle, pot supports etc. are blued steel and will rust if not kept oiled. The Pro-melt is a strong well built unit and has never missed a lick for me in 35 years so I can vouch for it. I have never owned a Lyman bottom pour so cannot comment. Saeco pots have been long discontinued. There were two models; the T-34 which was a 20 pound smelter-ladle model and a model 24 2hich was a 10 pound bottom pour. Both were very solid models and have gone well for me for many decades. They are worth restoring if found and needing repair. A unit currently manufactured by Waage ($160) resembles the Saeco 20 pounder and is highly regarded by many casters. But Saecos are worth looking for/advertising for. They may need a new cord or minor repair and parts are available. LLS

shooter93
02-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Both are good. I like Lyman's mold guide better myself. I think I may try their new one with the digital temperature guage.

HARRYMPOPE
02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
the Lyman pots(crucibles) dont tend to last as long.I have burned out two Lyman's but my RCBS is still good 31 years from the date it was built.The RCBS guide fits more mold styles.

shooter93
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
That's interesting Harry, my one old Lyman is 30 yrs old and the cord went which we fixed.

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2013, 06:04 AM
i had two lyman 20lb pots i lost in my big fire. I replaced them with two rcbs pots. I like the rcbs pots a bit better but really cant say why. both are good pots. Maybe its the fact that rcbs stands behind there equiptment much better then lyman and one things for sure, like anything else there eventualy going to wear out and need parts. Does it justify the fact there about a 100bucks more to buy? I dont know.

Ed in North Texas
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
The RCBS pot..(at least mine which has a date on it of 1978) has a stainless steel crucible/pot and that cannot rust. True stainless doesn't rust.

Stainless most certainly can rust. How rapidly it might rust, under what environmental conditions, differs depending on the exact stainless alloy (generally, the amount of nickel in the alloy). But it isn't named stainless steel for nothing. Leave it exposed to the right (really the wrong) corrosive environment for the particular alloy long enough and stainless steel will eventually rust.

pdawg_shooter
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I remember selling a 686 S&W to a fellow who just had to have stainless. He stuck it in a cheap leather holster, threw it in his glove box and ignored it for two years. When he got it out, guess what? He was in my face cause his pistola was all rusty. Well shucky darn, who wooda thunk it?

wymanwinn
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Stainless most certainly can rust. How rapidly it might rust, under what environmental conditions, differs depending on the exact stainless alloy (generally, the amount of nickel in the alloy). But it isn't named stainless steel for nothing. Leave it exposed to the right (really the wrong) corrosive environment for the particular alloy long enough and stainless steel will eventually rust.

Ed, you are mostly correct...most CRES Alloys (stainless steels) are resistant (notice i did not say "rust proof") to corrosion (rust) due to the inclusion of Chromium AND Nickel....the common alloys are comprised of Fe/Cr/Ni....18-8/302 (Cr 17-19%/Ni 8-10%/Fe balance), 304 (Cr 18-20%/Ni 8-11%/Fe balance), 316 (Cr 16-18%/Ni 10-14%/Mo 2-3%/Fe balance).....so you can see the corrosion resistance properties come from the combinations of Chromium, Nickel and possibly Molybdenum added to the Iron....to enhance the corrosion resistance of CRES Alloys one can utilize chemical passivation or electropolishing to create a passive or more corrosion resistant layer on the immediate surface...

and just to be clear....no matter the CRES Alloy, passivated or electropolished, i can make the alloy "rust" right before your eyes under the right conditions........

have a look here for more information.... www.electromatic.com ....where i work...:)

wyman

Ed in North Texas
02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Ed, you are mostly correct...most CRES Alloys (stainless steels) are resistant (notice i did not say "rust proof") to corrosion (rust) due to the inclusion of Chromium AND Nickel....the common alloys are comprised of Fe/Cr/Ni....18-8/302 (Cr 17-19%/Ni 8-10%/Fe balance), 304 (Cr 18-20%/Ni 8-11%/Fe balance), 316 (Cr 16-18%/Ni 10-14%/Mo 2-3%/Fe balance).....so you can see the corrosion resistance properties come from the combinations of Chromium, Nickel and possibly Molybdenum added to the Iron....to enhance the corrosion resistance of CRES Alloys one can utilize chemical passivation or electropolishing to create a passive or more corrosion resistant layer on the immediate surface...

and just to be clear....no matter the CRES Alloy, passivated or electropolished, i can make the alloy "rust" right before your eyes under the right conditions........

have a look here for more information.... www.electromatic.com ....where i work...:)

wyman

Thanks for the information, in future I'll at least know* there are other components to the various alloys. I'm obviously not a metallurgist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

* well if I remember.

gravely
02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I was facing the same question when I got fed up with my Lee Pro pot and I bought the RCBS. With the RCBS $50 rebate its only $50 more than than the Lyman. My reading of internet posts suggests a consensus that the Lyman is a very good pot but the RCBS is an overall better one although the Lyman has a better mould guide. I solved the limitation of the RCBS mould guide with a simple wooden box with dados cut to allow the bottom screws of an H&G mould to travel. The RCBS is a true pleasure to use.

chboats
02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
I have an RCBS pot that has given me great service. Have not used a Lyman pot so I can't compare the two. But if all else being equal I would go with the RCBS because of their customer service, which is second to none.

Carl

OuchHot!
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
I have the promelt and it has been a very good pot for well over 20yrs. If I were buying today, I would very carefully look over the new lyman.....it looks like they incorporated some good features.