PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron 32's?

Phil
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Has anyone seen or purchased one of the Cimarron Model P Jr. SA revolvers in 32 H&R/32-20? Sounds like a sweet little combo but nothing on their web site gives much information. From looking at the weight of this gun compared to their regular Model P revolvers I'd say the Jr is smaller due to the weight difference.

If they are good guns it would be very tempting to get one. The MSRP is only $503.00.

Cheers,

Phil

racepres
07-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the "heads-up"... Been lookin for a 32 since the Bitter Half's was branny new... Later, Ruger decided that they only needed fixed sights. Wrong... If any sixgun deserves adjustable sights [as well as varying barrel lengths.. hint to DW] it is the .32... I gotta have one!!! MV

Phil
07-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi racepres,

These are all fixed sight guns but do have three barrel lengths, 3 1/2"-4 3/4"-5 1/2" case colored frame and blued barrel, walnut grips. Here is a link to the page: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Specialty/ModelP-Jr.htm

I have no idea what a "pre war" frame is either. Does look like a nice little gun, and I like the two cylinder deal. May have to get one if I can find anyone else who already has one and likes it.

Cheers,

Phil

C A Plater
07-29-2007, 10:35 PM
You mean one of these?
http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/uberti32-sm.jpg
Loads of fun to shoot but yes, it needs adjustable sights. .32 H&R prints very low and liberal (to the left). I may put a rear sight from a S&W J frame on it and a new front blade. Then it would be near .perfect

Phil
07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi CA Plater,

Is the frame smaller than a regular Colt SA frame? In looking at the parts lists they have the parts for this gun listed with the Lightning so it may be actually a Lightning frame.

If I have to put usable sights on it I don't think it would be worth it to me. It looks like you'd be really cutting into a not too thick top strap and that could cause a problem.

Other than that, how well built is the gun, fit and finish wise?

Thanks for the dope,

Cheers,

Phil

racepres
07-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Who in the ____ heck,, decided that the 32 only deserved the "fixed sights"... I will Not buy one from anyone who does not give this little charmer the respeect that it deserves!!!! My bitter half has one of the early Ruger SS that has the "real" sights, and I should have bought all of them that we looked at..... I would have 3 including hers!!! MV

C A Plater
07-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi CA Plater,

Is the frame smaller than a regular Colt SA frame? In looking at the parts lists they have the parts for this gun listed with the Lightning so it may be actually a Lightning frame.

If I have to put usable sights on it I don't think it would be worth it to me. It looks like you'd be really cutting into a not too thick top strap and that could cause a problem.

Other than that, how well built is the gun, fit and finish wise?

Thanks for the dope,

Cheers,

Phil
The grips are the same as the full size but the rest is scaled to about 3/4 size. There is already a sight groove down the top strap and milling a slot would not deepen it just make it a touch wider and more square. A notch across the back and taking the tip off the hammer would do it but I don't think I'll go that route. I saw a dovetail front sight at that may be the better solution. Once I get the load settled on the front can be drifted to fix the windage problem and the height can be varied to be on target enough to be less advantageous to the small game.

Other than the sights, the fit and finish is very good. The action is smooth and the timing puts Rugers to shame. Virtually no drag marks on the cylinder

Dale53
07-30-2007, 01:04 AM
I have a Cimarron .44 Special and it is extremely well made and finished. It came with a perfect 2.0 lb trigger to boot! However, the sights are copies of the early Colts sights and that means THEY SUCK! I could hardly use those sights when I could see, much less now. It shoots really well and I will probably keep it but I will have to do something about the sights. The problem is, anything I have done will cost as much as the original price for the gun. Maybe I can get my pistol smith to install as set of S&W rear sights with a proper front sight to match....

Back to the .32's. They definitely require a good set of fully adjustable sights. I would NOT buy any fixed sight guns unless they were suitable for a Red Dot installation. It is pretty easy to mill a Weaver base and drill and tap the frame and doesn't cost a mint. On the other hand, if you prefer iron sights, that can cost a pretty penny as there is quite a bit of work to install them and pistolsmiths have to eat, too. The only exception to this would be a Cowboy Action gun for the proper class that you only need to regulate for one load. I have done quite well with Rugers in this regard simply because their fixed sights are designed to be USED. In a for instance, my Bisley Vaquero has an excellent sight picture with the fixed sights and wonders of wonders, they were regulated correctly for 250-260 gr slugs at black powder velocities at 25 yards (point of aim),:drinks:

The best choice right now, is there seems to be some of the Ruger SP 101's in the pipeline even tho' they are no longer cataloging them. My 4" behaves quite nicely since I installed the Red Dot sight (the original rear sight is only adjustable for windage (whoever in HECK made that decision at the factory?). Ruger could just as easily put a real rear sight on that revolver Grrrrrrrr!!

I sometimes believe that these companies don't really expect anyone to actually SHOOT these pieces!:roll:

Dale53