PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red.... Love the stuff!

Hounddog
02-18-2013, 03:44 AM
After reading a couple references to Ed's Red I did some research and decided to see what all the fuss is about. Being a self described tinkerer and a bit of a mad scientist, I decided to mix up a batch and give it a test drive. Having researched the recipie I decided to make mine with the acetone. Earlier that day I was fortunate enough to have fired a couple hundred lead rounds through both my M&P 40 and 45, so I had two dirty test subjects. After thoroughly cleaning both guns I was very impressed with the stuff. I like the protective aspect of the ATF in Ed's Red and found it to clean better than the Hoppes that I was using. Normally the Hoppes leaves a gunky residue on my brushes, but this stuff left them nice and clean. I'm sold and looks like I'll get plenty of use out of this gallon I concocted. Thanks again fellas.

Hounddog

dromia
02-18-2013, 04:51 AM
I'm a fan of Ed's Red and have been using it for years in conjuction with ammonia for copper fouling, I use ATF straight or 1/2 and 1/2 with parafin as a gun oil.

imashooter2
02-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I mixed my first batch when I wanted enough solvent to soak a complete pistol. I was impressed with the way it worked and have been using it ever since.

Ed_Shot
02-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I follow Ed's origional recipe. Its the only cleaner/protectant I use. Works great.

dverna
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Do not get acetone on a gun stock.

DLCTEX
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Using turpentine makes an odor my wife finds really objectionable.

W.R.Buchanan
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Frog Lube! Completely inert and slicker than Owl Ship. nothing sticks to it, smells like wintergreen. Works as a cleaner or lubricant and in my limited experience with the stuff it works better than anything I have ever used or even heard of,,, by a factor of ten X.

In my plastic guns, Glock and Kel-Tec, the difference bewteen Frog Lube and any petroleum based lube is night and day. Plus nothing sticks to it, so clean up is a wipe off and a bore snake. I shoot Bullseye in the Glock and the gun is filthy after 50 rounds, and quick wipe down and it is clean. Normally it is a complete teardown to clean this gun.

At a recent gun show, I saw a 1911 that was soaking in a bucket of water. You were invited to pick up the gun and cycle the slide. It was the slickest 1911 I have ever touched.

It sits in the water at every gun show the distributor goes to weekly and she says she shakes it out and puts it in a box til the next show. No rust, and complete lubrication for over two years of doing this with only one application.

Not saying anything bad about Ed's Red, just saying there are far more advanced things out there now that deserve a look. It woke me up to the possibilities.

Randy

just10mm
02-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Ed's red is good stuff indeed. I perfer Butches bore shine after long range rifle work but for everything else Ed's is the ticket. Frog lube may be a decent lubricant/protectant but is lame as a cleaner... Besides I do not spend large amounts of time with my firearm under water nor am I a seal...:roll:

tomf52
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
R W Buchanan said - "Frog Lube! Completely inert and slicker than Owl Ship. nothing sticks to it, smells like wintergreen. Works as a cleaner or lubricant and in my limited experience with the stuff it works better than anything I have ever used or even heard of,,, by a factor of ten X."
Explain to me how you get the grit out of the frame assembly of a semi-auto when using Frog Lube. Thank you.

tomf52
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Hound Dog - Don't let Ed's Red made with acetone get on the tupperware guns.

10 ga
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
when I make a batch I do 2 types,
1. with aceton and no lanolin.
2. another without acetone and with lanolin.

Then I use the #1 acetone type for cleaning, removing sabot and wad residue, heavy fouling removal etc...

Use the #2 type for wipe down and protection for normal storage etc...

Warning, Eds Red will cause screws and pins to come out and loosen easily. It is a very effective penetrant for getting stuck nuts, barrel/actions, pins, etc... freed up and removed.

10 ga

alamogunr
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I use a variation called "Steve's Squeeze" by Steve Hurst. Very similar to "Ed's Red" except uses different solvents and LLA instead of lanolin. Another difference is he used Marvel Mystery Oil instead of ATF. I used ATF in my mix because I like the color better.

Lot's of alternatives here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?75957-Home-made-gun-cleaner-recipe-s

I would say both work equally well. I've still got a little Ed's Red left from a previous mix.

W.R.Buchanan
02-23-2013, 03:49 PM
tomf52:

If you have a bunch of sand in a gun you must either wipe it out or Blow it out with an air hose.

The advantage of the Frog Lube is that once you have applied it and cooked it in, you wipe all the excess off the parts. Nothing sticks to it from that point on so if there is a bunch of sand in the gun you can blow it out fairly easily.

IF you have a gun that has been burried you're gonna have to clean it just like anything else.

As far as the lubricity there is no comparison to any petroleum product I have ever used.

The Frog Lube is so much slicker it is scary. When it comes to "new stuff," I don't impress easily, and especially when it comes to tried and true products like gun oils. This stuff so far exceeded my expectations I was truely blown away.

Try some, but make sure you have a good way to compare it, like how hard it is to rack the slide before and after. My Glock 21 was 50% easier after the FL! AS was my Kel-Tec SU16CA. My Marlin 39AS was slick before, now it is nearly effortless.

The stuff makes a very noticable difference.

Randy

btroj
02-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I have some of Ed's mix, was underwhelmed. I don't use enough solvent in a year to consider cost a big factor. I just find Shooters Choice to be better for my needs.

Shiloh
02-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Original formula without the lanolin is my choice. I have since cut back on the acetone.

Shiloh