PDA

View Full Version : .35 Remington Model 8 followed me home.

waksupi
07-31-2005, 03:29 PM
I went back to the gun show today, to pick up a couple small items. I hung around a friend's table too long, and he kept dropping the price on this rifle. He had six of them, and was kind of top heavy on the type. I'm pretty much ignorant on the operation on this rifle. How do you get the magazine out? I've looked back through the archives, and have gleaned some reloading info so far. Anything else you can think of I need to know about this rifle? I'm thinking the Bator Lite will be the test bullet in this.

45 2.1
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
The magazine doesn't come out to easily. It's meant to be loaded from the top. Good accurate rifle with the RCBS 35-200-FN. Yours is the straight grip. The 81 is the same but with pistol grip. Heavy, but good hunting rifle. The rifle is a takedown. Remove the screw on the forend and take it off, you will see a lever that you can unscrew to remove the barrel/jacket assembly, just lock the bolt back before you remove it.

woody1
07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Anything else you can think of I need to know about this rifle? I'm thinking the Bator Lite will be the test bullet in this.

Ric, I know next to nothing about your rifle, but I do have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. I found the Bator Lite had to be seated too deep for me to use it. I'm hoping the 6 hole 180 grainer that I think is on it's way will work well though. Regards, Woody

45 2.1
07-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping the 6 hole 180 grainer that I think is on it's way will work well though. Regards, Woody

I have the mold from the first go around. The nose was too fat and when seated to crimp groove the nose would engrave heavily and the lever was extremely hard to close in mine and some friends rifles, in short, without working over the throat it wouldn't fit.

waksupi
07-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I do have some .35 samples left, that were sent by other members. I'm sure I will find something that will fit. I do have a mold for a Saeco 250 gr. bullet, with a more tapered ogive, and a good flat meplate. Would this be too heavy of a bullet to launch from the M-8? It may well be a better choice of shape, as I'm sure it will feed slicker than buttered owl ****. Which ever fits, if necessary, I'll have Dan cut a mold.

Frank46
08-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Waksupi, don't you just love it when they follow you home like that??. Same thing happened to me with a win XTR Big Bore in 375 win. Little sucker just up and jumped into my hands and begged to be taken home. Funny thing in 10 years down here have only seen three and this one was the pick of the litter. Frank

Bret4207
08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Now if'n you were to be found totin' that rifle in the Adirondacks of NY state it would mark you as a REAL deer hunter. Old guy who used to take me hunting and fishing used one on 300 Savage and they were popular in 35 Rem too, less so in 30 Rem, 32 Rem and 25 Rem. Try and find one of those nice Lyman peeps for it for the finishing touch.

waksupi
08-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Frank, don't you just hate it, when that happens?

Brett, You got my attention with the aperture sight mention. Is it a drill and tap operation? I would imagine so, but there is a screw in the rear of the action, I wondered if it would attach to.

Bullshop Junior
08-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Waksupi
This load was developed for moose in the Marlin 336.
PRIMER: CCI #200
POWDER: 33.9gn of IMR-4064
BULLET: RCBS 200gn fngc @360
CASE: ww 35 rem
LUBE: Bullshop moly
This load shoots at 2.1/5 at 100 in the Marlin model 336, that is not shot enough to get broke in.
I hope that it works for you.
DANIEL / BSJR

Frank46
08-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Waksupi, yeah I hate that when it happens but its a dirty job but someone has to give these poor orphans a home where they will be well cared for and fed. Trouble is that too many seemed to have followed me home in the last few years. Frank

KCSO
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
If you promise to get it back to Me I have Model 8 the book. Everything you want to know and more. I also have spare 35 REM dies.

waksupi
08-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Daniel, thanks for the load info. I'll try it out.

Jim, I've already got a set of dies, by way of Ebay, for $15.50, postage included. I'm currently bidding on a lot of 350 cases on there also, so hopefully I'll have everything gathered up in a couple weeks.
Mike Nesbitt is sending me a copy of the Model 8 book he has laying around, so I'm also covered there.

Thanks for the offer!

Buckshot
08-08-2005, 06:27 AM
...........Only thing I know about the Rem M8 is that when you pull the trigger, everything in the gun begins to move, except the stock :D

..............Buckshot

KCSO
08-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Buckshot
With full loads the stock moves too.
Back and hard!