PDA

View Full Version : Need info on 577 snider loads

macvcallsign
07-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Have finally got around to playing with a Snider. Have all the equipment, just need some info on what to put inside those nice new Jamison cases. Would be interested in both BP as well as SMOKELESS loads. Have a large number of moulds from 315 gr up to 600gr, mostly hollow based to different degrees, so have a wide range to work with. Thanks for any input and will keep you posted.:castmine:

JeffinNZ
07-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi

I'd stick with BP or replica BP. Safer bet.

Slug the bore/groove and shoot a FAT slug. Sniders tend to bit generous in the internally dimensions.

I have seen good results with paper patched Minies to get the diameter up to groove.

klw
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Have finally got around to playing with a Snider. Have all the equipment, just need some info on what to put inside those nice new Jamison cases. Would be interested in both BP as well as SMOKELESS loads. Have a large number of moulds from 315 gr up to 600gr, mostly hollow based to different degrees, so have a wide range to work with. Thanks for any input and will keep you posted.:castmine:

If you go to the Accurate ARms web site and look up the section where you can ask them for a smokeless load they'll send you one in a few days. They use to have a form you filled out but someone hacked into their site and caused all sort of trouble so now you have to just e-mail them. I think that that section is now rather hard to find and I don't remember if they list all the information they will need. But be sure to indicate bullet alloy and bullet weight.

Oldeyes
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
The Snider forum on the British Militaria Forums is a good place to do some research. A lot will depend on your particular model since the 3 groove barrels have a very slow twist and need shorter boolits than the 5 groove "fast twist" barrels. So far I have had fun shooting round balls thru my two, a J.C.&A. Lord carbine (fast twist) and a 3 band MkII slow twist rate. .600 round balls work fine altho the Mk II will accept a .610 ball with no problems. I'm still waiting for the mold group buy to come thru on the Brit forum and then I'll get serious about accuracy; currently I get nice groups at 50 yards with the carbine and either black or smokeless loads.....the 3 bander will do either minute-of-black at 100 yards (8 inches) or minute of door, depending on the day and many other unkown factors. So far I prefer BP loads for the BOOM and clouds of smoke....duplex load of 5 grains 4759, 55grains of Elephant FF, card wad, round ball seated all the way down with slight compression of powder, and top off the rest of the case with Crisco. I found that the ammo must be kept in the shade or the Crisco melts and runs prematurely! Any how, check out the info at the Snider Forum:
http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm2

Buckshot
07-31-2007, 12:37 AM
............Yup, the British Militaria forums is the place to read up on the 'Snidy' :-). I have a carbine (cut down rifle, 3 groove slow twist) and a 3 band rifle, also slow 3 groove twist. The Snider chamber was cut for the boxer built up cases. You should orient your cases some way in the chamber and then only size the neck down enough to hold the projectile.

This assures you that the brass will match the chamber and preclude excess sizing. Apparently some Sniders may not be able to handle the .600" RB. However that is a good dlug for the slow twisters. A 58 cal RB at 1600+ fps packs a pretty good smack within it's usefull range.

...............Buckshot

sdalcher
11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Mine just arrived from Afghanistan! Shipped it just before I left 21SEP10 and just arrived today. I had almost given up on it. It is a MK III, that is still all original, absolutely no finish left on exposed surfaces. I disassembled it for a good cleaning and oiling before shipping it home, much to my surprise the finish under the stock looked as if it had been blued yesterday. I am really looking forward to playing with this!

Bad Ass Wallace
11-10-2010, 08:07 AM
I load 65gn of 2P Wano under COW filler and an original PH Minnie weighing 565gns. I couldn't get accuracy until I made a new bottom plug that reduced the boolit skirt to just .050".

Actually have a new project underway to rebarrell a MH with a 1:48" twist Walther-Lothar barrel 32" long. This should give me a 58/90 or "Super Snider"