PDA

View Full Version : Best or very good night sights for a Sig P 238

Down South
02-17-2013, 07:39 PM
I have a little P 238 that I won a few years ago. I find myself carrying it more and more for its ease of concealment. The little pistol came with a laser but I don't care for it. It mounts under the barrel and makes the gun bulkier. So the laser has only been on the gun to look at once then taken back off.

since I find myself carrying the P 238 more now, it needs some sights on it that show up in the dark.

What sights do you guys think would be best for this gun? I'll have to send the slide to someone to install the sights since I don't have a sight pusher.

warf73
02-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Got my wife one for Xmas this year and the sights are night sights. Maybe shoot Sig an email asking what it would take to have the new sights (guessing new since yours didn't come with night sights) put on your gun. Like you said "I'll have to send the slide to someone to install the sights since I don't have a sight pusher." why not have them do it if they arent asking to much for the sights and service.

Warf

boltons75
02-18-2013, 06:01 AM
I made a sight pusher quite easily. It works on my ruger sr40, my wife's kahr p380, really simple design. I'll post some photos when I get off work.

Also, the Trijicon tritium vials are suppose to be the best. They make sights, but my ruger is wearing a set of ameriglo night sights that use the Trijicon vials. My wife's Kahr I do believe has the trijicon sights. They are both excellent.

bobthenailer
02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Ive allways installed sight myself ! the only night sights i have are Trijucon on a 1911 there 20 years old and still work ok , just not quite as bright as they were when new.
I used a front sight stacking tool for the front and a brass/nylon punch for the rear. a sight pusher is nice but not entirley nessary, be carfull & go slow. I have installed numerus sights or made adj to them with regular tools.
Or just send the slide only back to SIG for sight replacement.

Down South
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
I might send the slide back to Sig and let them install their sights. I'm looking for options.

I've replaced sights using a brass punch before but I'd rather not with night sights. I'd hate to break a vile from a hammer blow.

Boltons75, I would be interested in seeing your home made tool.

winelover
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
My vote goes for Trijicon's night sights. Besides being one of the first, I like that they are dated. Recent set I purchased is marked 12 and they a warranted for 12 years before needing re-lamping. So, they are good till the year 2024. I looked at a used Sig 290 that had their night sights, but no date code, so I was unable to tell how much life was left in them.

Winelover

Down South
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
I called Sig. I'll be sending the slide to them to swap out to their night sights. I just got my RMA number and shipping label in an email from them.

warf73
02-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I called Sig. I'll be sending the slide to them to swap out to their night sights. I just got my RMA number and shipping label in an email from them.

Good deal, now you have no worries about removing or installing.

leftiye
02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I might send the slide back to Sig and let them install their sights. I'm looking for options.

I've replaced sights using a brass punch before but I'd rather not with night sights. I'd hate to break a vile from a hammer blow.

If you get unlucky or too rough it's a new $80 to$120 set of sights depending which sights/where you buy them.

Case Stuffer
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Decession has been made so this post should have no ill effects however I would like to know how many with glow in the dark sights have actually used them in a night time gun fight? At 15 feet or less where most defensive shooting accure I will not be using any sights , my point and shoot at shuch ranges is withing 3" of my intended point of impact. I often wonder how many will even remember thier firearm even has sights when their life is on the line.

Please do not think that I am being difficult and just running down low lights assisted equipment. I feel that laser sights and even white LED tactical lights help connect with the targe,intimate and bling the bad guy but if someone breaks into my house,car, etc. to mug me or wife. it will be up close an personal.

Not bragging but when I purchased my SA XP 9 Sub Compact I wlked down in my woods ,hung a IPSC target backed up 15 to 20 feet( eight paces) . I drew and fired a single shot three times without ever even thinking about the sights and results was a 3" group.

I let my 33 year old son fire my new pistol a couple of days ago and he said it shot high and to the left and I remarked he was doing fine and that it was a carry gun not a target or hunting one. After he finshed shooting it I fired three rounds at a 2" sq. at 15 feet doing everthing wrong (combact wise). I closed left eye, acquired a good sight picture, touched off three rounds in right under 10 seconds and they made a fairly nice 1-1/4" group.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1aimaid.htm

boltons75
02-20-2013, 08:40 AM

Here are a couple, let me know if you'd like more detailed photos.

Ideally it would be made with square pipe 3-4 inches, but I didn't have any do I just welded up some flat stock. I think I spent two hours on it max, it's not my design, I saw one similar for sale online somewhere.

Down South
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Here are a couple, let me know if you'd like more detailed photos.

Ideally it would be made with square pipe 3-4 inches, but I didn't have any do I just welded up some flat stock. I think I spent two hours on it max, it's not my design, I saw one similar for sale online somewhere.
Now, that's just plain slick. Some thought was invested in that contraption. It looks like it would work well for about any brand of slide.

Thanks for sharing that picture.

boltons75
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
So far, it worked for the ruger and the kahr. Just about anything that takes dovetail sights should work.

Down South
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I got my shipping notice from Sig yesterday. The slide will be back in my hands Monday or Tuesday.

Now, I'm thinking about installing night sights on my Springfield XD9 sub-compact. Bought me a new pancake holster for it yesterday and it sure does feel good riding on my side.

429421Cowboy
03-02-2013, 03:06 PM
I hope you like them, it seems to me any edge in a gunfight is one you should take!
I would never have had the cash to get a set but i managed to pick up a Kahr PM9 that had Tru-Dot night sights already on it, they are pretty cool looking in the dark, really do pick your eye up! While i am sure we lived for a long time without them, they seem to me like they would give some advantage in a situation like a carjacking or something of you had to shoot in low light from a dark vehicle cab or if you were in a dark corner of town you ought not be lol.

Down South
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Well, I'm in Houston. I try not to be anywhere I should not be. I go to work well before daylight and have to walk several blocks from a dark parking garage to the office. Sometimes I have to walk around homeless folks sleeping on the sidewalks. I've seen crazy people talking and cussing invisible people, I've seen a lot of crazy stuff. I had one guy who looked somewhat crazy Yelling at me a while back and mad as all get out about something. I had seen a lot that makes me feel comfortable that I have something on me that probably can control a bad situation.
I hope I never need to find out for sure.

eljefe
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Those XD sights are a real bear to replace.
I usually recommend sending the slide to
Springfield when my customers want night
sights installed. I don't know exactly what
they do to them that makes it so difficult,
but it is a real pain.

ReloaderFred
03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
I put night sights on two XD's, my 357 Sig Service, and one of my 9x19 Sub-Compacts. It wasn't that hard, but I used a Mepro-Lite sight pusher. They push out to the right side of the slide, and back in from the right. The dovetail is slightly tapered. Just be sure to measure the height of both sights and get the same, or you'll change the point of impact.

My Sig P238 has very bright sights on it from the factory. I can see the glow from the gun laying on the dresser across the room at night. I think you'll like the Sig sights.

Hope this helps.

Fred