PDA

View Full Version : Lyman trimmer--I am going to throw it across the room!!!

arjacobson
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
I have one of those lyman universal trimmers. The thing has never worked quite right since new. You cannot get the brass to stay put.. The little cam arms are worn pretty bad. I bet I havent trimmed over 1.5k brass with it. I have tried switching sides with the cam arms-They are just junk. Parts are on order from lyman. Great idea with the universal chuck but terrible quality on parts. Anyone else have the same problems???

rda72927
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
I have the Lyman power trimmer and I believe it has the same universal chuck. I have used it so much that I have had to replace the cutter head. Maybe just bad luck on yours, the Lyman trimmer is the one I would suggest to anyone to purchase. Mine was used when I got it and (just guessing) maybe 6 to 8 k run through it.

altheating
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Seems to me I had to knock out the rod that holds the chuck in place and rotate it up a bit so the cam had more throw. I think it even hit the bottom of the trimmer base before I adjusted it. Once I did that it has worked great ever since. That was over ten years ago.

arjacobson
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I tried moving the rod to get more tension. The cam pcs are grooved and worn pretty bad. The are worn at an angle. When you put any pressure on the chuck it will push the shell holder cams off the brass. Maybe some new parts will help.

Jailer
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Same exact problem I have with mine. Don't feel bad I only got about 600 trims out of mine before it wouldn't hold a piece of brass any longer.

arjacobson
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Jailer you can get parts from lymans website. I have the "post 2009" model. Maybe the earlier trimmers were better built?

dromia
02-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Have you spoken with Lyman about the issue?

o6Patient
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I really like the Lyman universal chuck..but probably quality control has been taken out
of the dictionary as much of our real history has from the history books, it's fine as long
as we have our self esteem, one of the lefts greatest contributions to our society.
Right or wrong doesn't matter as long as we feel good about it...and now "they" now want
to start indoctrinating our kids from 4 rather than 5 !and they will let us pay for it..(in more
ways than one... got to respect their cleverness for sure.:twisted: