PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Redhawk-Prices???

seagiant
07-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,
I figure the members here are as knowledgable as any others on this subject or more so! I have a chance to get a Ruger Redhawk blue 5.5 barrel 44mag for $485. This is a like new condition pistol with not a scratch on it. While I know this is not a great price,these do not come up in my area that often and I prefer to support my local dealers or shops when possible. Are the Blue Rugers becoming more valuable now? Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

carpetman
07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Reason you don't see many blue Rugers is Dr Phil has been counseling them and has em cheered up and they are no longer blue.

Scrounger
07-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know the prices that well but I can tell you I paid less than that for my 5.5" stainless. Here is the list of Redhawks for sale on Gunbroker; that's the best way I know to see the range of prices. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp
I buy from local dealers when they have what I want at a fair price, I do not feel any obligation to overpay them for anything. Anyone who has ever been in the business can tell you how hard it is to make money, how places like WalMart and other chain dealers can sell guns almost at the same price the little dealer pays for them. So Joe littleguy pays $400 for a gun and it sets in his shop a year or two before he can sell it at $450. Most little dealers I know are quite content to take $20-$25 from me to receive a used (or new) gun for me. They make that much money for doing 10 minutes of paperwork, with none of their money being tied up for months or years waiting for a buyer. The shop I use out here says they do 5 to 10 of those transactions every week. They don't buy any new guns unless someone orders it and pays in advance, all their stock is from people who walk in and sell guns to them or a few surplus arms they've ordered because they're low priced and popular.

seagiant
07-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Scrounger,
Thanks for the info. I've looked on Gunbroker and Gun's America and although not true in every case,it seems that the blue copies are more money than the stainles??? Dosen't make sense maybe but it seems that way. I'm not overly hung up on price anyway even though I enjoy a deal as much as the next guy. One thing for us to remember is the shipping and dealer transaction fee on the internet buys also I guess. Thanks again!

Bass Ackward
07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Current market is running high this late in the business cycle. Add to that metals prices and you see the reason.

I would say $425 for blue, $475 stainless current used market at retail for a 5.5" model. Stainless is usually $50 more.

If you wanted to sell a blued 5.5" model on Gun Broker in perfect condition and opened the bidding at just $1.00, I would be surprised if you got $400 for it today. Just so you know. But again, prices of materials just keeps going up and everyone's due a raise, etc, so prices look to continue to climb on everything.

Scrounger
07-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Shipping and receiving costs definitely are part of the equation when I consider buying something. One little tip on the auction sites; Many guns are listed at too high a price and the fact that no one bids on them should alert you to the fact it's too high. The fact that the stainless guns have bids on them indicate their price isn't too far off. If the blue ones were lower priced they might well get some bids.

trickyasafox
07-29-2007, 11:59 PM
my brother just paid 425 for a 7.5 in redhawk in stainless but i think that was a fairly good price.

BOOM BOOM
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
hi,
My son bought a ss 7&1/2" redhawlk .44 last year for $375 from a pawn store lase fall.

thebigmac
01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I just purchased a blue 5.5 " Blackhawk in .45 Colt from a fellow club member for $325.00. He was stubourn . Insisted on 325. With 250 brass once fired, I'm very satisfied. (no paper work)

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
id say its a tad high but they dont come along every day and there a real nice gun. I allways wanted one to cut to 4 inch to go with my 4 inch stainless one.

leadeye
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Reason you don't see many blue Rugers is Dr Phil has been counseling them and has em cheered up and they are no longer blue.

Probably his stainless public persona.:-D

gon2shoot
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
If it's somthing you really want, and is in good shape, buy it. 5 years from now it will look like a heck of a deal.
I always consider the want value as much as the mkt value :roll: