PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 1500 bites the dust!

Bill In SC
02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Well... went down and turned on the RCBS 1500 this morning and seen the post check complete. Then it went south!! It would never zero. The read out kept going all over the place. Tried using the manual zero and nothing... Tried the calibration routine and it would not show stable. Power cycled a number of times with the same results.

Dug out the instructions, and there is no "Reboot"...

Anyone else have this happen?

Will give it a shot calling RCBS in the morning. As it's a holiday for some folks, they may or may not be in...

Only good thing was I took out my frustration by firing up the Boolit pots and casted a few 100. :-D

LUBEDUDE
02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Bill.

Sorry your 1500 crapped out.

dbosman
02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
If you've already done this, please forgive me.
As a computer tech, I'd be looking at the batteries, or the AC adapter before writing the obit.
Good luck.

GabbyM
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Mine took a dive about ten years ago. Acted just as you describe. Just been setting on the shelf since. I think RCBS will replace them.

Bill In SC
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
If you've already done this, please forgive me.
As a computer tech, I'd be looking at the batteries, or the AC adapter before writing the obit.
Good luck.

Good point... I grabbed the Fluke, and the AC adapter checks out dead on the money... So... Gotta be something else.

Bill In SC
02-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Well... after waiting for 25 minutes in the queue, finally got customer service on the line.

Bottom line... Electronic devices are only warranted for a year. However... For the grand sum of $45.00 they will replace the complete unit with a new one and it will have a new one year warranty. Guess that beats $250+ for a new one when you can catch them on sale.

So... Off to the UPS facility.

Love Life
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Sweet!!! Yeah RCBS CS is the bee's knees.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
As a retired Electronics Technician with 26 years in the business, mostly with the higher tech equipment and a good bit with sensitive electronic scales, my recommendation is to get RCBS to trade you for either a 1010 or 505.

Electronic scales that are good enough to last any time at all are going to be too expensive for the reloading market. The cheap made ones they sell in the reloading market are going to fail, it's more a matter of when in most cases, than if. Hence why you read about their failure on various forums on a regular basis. Get a quality manual scale and don't waste any more money on low grade electronic junk.

Bill In SC
02-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Dave -

Know what you mean... I'm a Regional IT manager for a world wide company, and I always tell the folks... "It's not if, but when will it fail"... :D

I have the 1010 and a 505 as a backup...

The unit is three years old and performed flawlessly. Makes loading the big boomers a lot faster. I will replace it and keep on plugging along.

Bill

tbird1960
02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Electronic scales that are good enough to last any time at all are going to be too expensive for the reloading market.

Not sure that this is correct. I had a Dillon electronic scale that I had and used real regular for 25 years. I sold it and bought the new RCBS electronic scale and have had it about 8 months now and it really works good.

Hardcast416taylor
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I heard it said once at a trade show that all the electronic powder scales that are being marketed by the loading companies are made at the same plant. Only the colors and plastic covers are different. And Dollars to Donuts they are make in Asia. I would lay a wager that all RCBS will do with your old unit is put it in "File 13 container" as they aren`t worth spending money on to try and repair.Robert

TCFAN
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I have the RCBS 1500 charge master and it makes reloading with hard to meter powders a lot easier.Now my unit is only 3 yrs old but I have not had a bit of problems so for.If and when I do it will be sent back for a new one for what ever RCBS wants for exchange.

I also have one of the very early Pact electronic scale that I have had for at least 15 to 20 years and it works now as good as the day I bought it.It stays on all the time,never turn it off. I hope my RCBS will last at least half as long..............Terry