PDA

View Full Version : Win .44 mag accuracy issues--loose magazine tube!

USAF Shirt
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Fellas, I am pulling my hair out with my Winchester 94, .44 mag (centennial model) and could use some help before I wrap it around a tree.

The gun is all but new...perfect through and through...But shoots like garbage. I have tried all manner of loads ranging from the Lee 310, Lee 240 FP, RCBS 250-K, and numerous J-word loads (and factory). All are shooting in the 4-5 inch range at 30 yards at best.

One issue that is obvious is my Mag tube...with the barrel band screw, and magazine cap screw tight, the mag tube has a very noticeable amount of play in it..To the point that I am concerned that repeated recoil may cause the magazine cap screw (that runs into the bottom of the barrel) will enlarge an mess everything up further. I have heard folks getting a dovetail milled for the mag tube/barrel junction, but not sure I want to go to the expense of this if my accuracy stays the same.

I also know some say a loose mag tube is actually good for accuracy, essentially (almost) free floating the barrel, but something has to be causing this thing to shoot like ****, and the tube is way looser than any other lever I have owned or handled.

Anyone have any recommendations? I have even tried electrical tape as a shim around the barrel, under the barrel band, and it tightened up, but no accuracy improvement..

Help!

OBXPilgrim
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Leave your mag tube loose.

Check the screw that holds the mag tube cap - is it so long that it bows the tube away from the barrel when it's tight? Mine was. I took some length off the end of the screw to where it would tighten down into the cap, but not bow the mag tube away from the barrel. It improved the accuracy a bunch - I hunt with it now & have killed 4 deer with it over the past couple of years.

The Lee 310gr at 1550fps really does a number on them. It's a real thumper.

USAF Shirt
02-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks OBX...

The mag cap screw is certainly not too long...on mine, the mag cap screw is what seems to be way too loose in the hole in the barrel. With a full magazine of 310 grainers under repeated recoil, I have no doubt either the screw will fail, or the hole in the barrel will enlarge, making things even looser.

Picture with everything tight, gripping the mag tube, and being able to push it forward and back about 1/8" each way. The barrel band is tight round the mag tube itself, but not the barrel. The barrel band is even wearing the finish off of the barrel due to the excessive play...I have several other levers and none do this at all..

dubber123
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
My 1895 CB had a binding mag tube, I put a small black rubber O-ring between the barrel and tube. Fixed my problem, and might work for you too. Nobody notices it until I point it out.