PDA

View Full Version : Ga WMA range brass

jondavis0904
02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
I was just wondering if anyone on here from Ga picks up range brass at any of the WMAs (wild life management areas). I can remember shooting at the range a couple years back and there would be a 55 gallon drum about a quarter of the way full of brass at any given visit. This was before I started reloading. Now I go out there and can hardly find anything other than old 22lr brass laying around. Anyone else have this issue?

BigBlack
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Pretty much the same here, but also since they now require a WMA stamp to shoot they may not be getting the same amount of use.

jondavis0904
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I talked to the range boss out in Richmond Hill and he says they are usually always packed, but he tends to walk the range and pick up brass at the end of the day to keep it clean. Last I went out there he had about half a 5 gallon bucket full in the back of his truck. Seemed to be a pretty nice guy though. He let me dig through the bucket and take what I could use. Just makes me wonder how much he might have back at his house. He did say most people that are coming out there now reload their own rounds so I do think charging the fee has kept the random shooters that leave all their trash behind away.

Travtastik
02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
At the WMA's that I visit here in TN there is always a group of what look like meth heads out on the range picking up brass. There is always one while the place is packed and they will grab anything that sits for 5 seconds. Once people start clearing out another 5-10 will show up like vultures and pick the place dry. I figure they sell it for scrap.

jondavis0904
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't doubt that there are people that go out to these to pick up what they can to just scrap it. Now here in Georgia you have to have a WMA license or a Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass to use the range where it use to be free. There is a range officer that sits out there all day to make sure people have their license when they show up now so it probably cuts down on people just showing up to try to scrap the brass.

Beau Cassidy
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
At Charlie Elliot they used to not say much if you picked up brass on the ground but didn't like it if you went thru their cans marked specifically for brass. I have moved away from there but a friend of mine who went out a few weeks ago said they would even let you go thru the brass buckets. I guess they got tired of sorting it.

Interestingly- there was one really weird guy who "volunteered" to clean up the ranges. He was only interested in the brass for resell and I called him out on it to his face. After a few years of doing that the range staff finally realized what he was doing and kicked him off the range.

DLCTEX
02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
My son had to "explain" to a scavenger at a range just how hazardous to his health picking up his brass can be.

jondavis0904
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm about to attempt to build a brass catching contraption that will catch all my brass as it is ejected from my guns. I've seen a couple commercial ones online, but it looks simple enough to build.

David2011
02-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Scavengers are everywhere. At the local gun club (lots of members, no range officers) one member shows up on the rifle range at dusk pretty reliably to pick up brass. I've never seen him shoot at the rifle range and he's pretty brazen about picking up brass where people are still shooting. Kind of chaps me after the time I put into prepping 5.56 military brass that I intended to use more than once. He's finally gotten the hint and leaves mine alone.

David

bruce drake
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm the same way when it comes to my brass as well. I once had a guy literally waiting as I fired to catch the brass. I told him the next time he snatched the brass while it was still spinning on the ground there would be some lead following it. He got the hint.

I put too much time into building a lot of my brass from other calibers to deal with range vultures.

Bruce