PDA

View Full Version : Threadlocker substitute ?

400short
02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I feel like a dummy. I should know this and probably once did. I'm putting plug screws back in a reciever. I live in the sticks and can't find purple threadlocker. When these came out they were coated with gooey brown stuff. Any suggestions for a common substance or technic that will allow for easy removal?

Garpo
02-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I’m thinking nail polish but I personally have never tried it.

uscra112
02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Well, I'm old enough to pre-date Loctite, so I can answer with some authority. We used to use either #2 Aviation Form-a-gasket, or Glyptal (a high-voltage insulating compound) as a threadlocker. Both are very thick forms of lacquer. I have in more recent times used thin cyanoacrylate adhesive (Superglue), which can be UNdone by soaking in acetone. Another very good choice in your case would be linseed oil, which will take a long while to dry but will do the job very nicely. Chances are good that the "gooey brown stuff" you found was just that. If you have no straight linseed oil, use a drop of any oil-base paint - the "oil" of which is linseed oil. Linseed is easily dissolved with good old Hoppe's #9, by they way.

(Yes, nail polish would do - it's a lacquer. Let it stand until it's a bit gummy before applying.)

shredder
02-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm old enough to pre-date Loctite, so I can answer with some authority. We used to use either #2 Aviation Form-a-gasket, or Glyptal (a high-voltage insulating compound) as a threadlocker. Both are very thick forms of lacquer. I have in more recent times used thin cyanoacrylate adhesive (Superglue), which can be UNdone by soaking in acetone. Another very good choice in your case would be linseed oil, which will take a long while to dry but will do the job very nicely. Chances are good that the "gooey brown stuff" you found was just that. If you have no straight linseed oil, use a drop of any oil-base paint - the "oil" of which is linseed oil. Linseed is easily dissolved with good old Hoppe's #9, by they way.3
Excellent advice. I will add thatI have used nail polish( clear) and it worksw well. Once again acetone is the solvent if required.

400short
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Ah...good. I think I'll try the Linseed. I've got a can of BLO on the shelf. Thanks

Marvin S
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Pine tar also make an excellent low temp anti seize and thread sealant.

FLHTC
02-17-2013, 09:03 PM
A thread of fishing line works well too. It doesn't have to dry either

nhrifle
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
If you don't want to find any chemical solution to use, you can use an old machanic's trick. Lay the set screw sideways on a piece of wood and give the threads a light tap with a hammer. This will deform the metal enough to make it lock into place as it is screwed down, and if you only do it lightly, it will come out fairly easily.

geargnasher
02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Elmer's glue?

Gear

400short
02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I'll bet pine tar was what was on them when they came out. Still kinda gooey and the gun is a mid 70's marlin.

zuke
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
I've used nail polish and paint

Chicken Thief
02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Hairspray

Junior1942
02-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I've used nail polish and paint+1 on that.

Marvin S
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
That pine tar makes a dandy sealant for muzzleloader breech plugs. Just warm it up 50 years later and it comes right apart with no rust.

km101
02-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Clear nail polish works great. Just apply a little heat when removing and it comes right out.

uscra112
02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
If you don't want to find any chemical solution to use, you can use an old machanic's trick. Lay the set screw sideways on a piece of wood and give the threads a light tap with a hammer. This will deform the metal enough to make it lock into place as it is screwed down, and if you only do it lightly, it will come out fairly easily.

LOL! Back when I was racing motorcycles in New England we used to call that "Canadian Loctite"!

Artful
02-19-2013, 08:17 PM
sheet plastic wrap works at least for out in the boonies repair, kept having screw vibrate out - took some plastic wrap gave it a wrap and stuck it back in - kept it from vibrating out.

Use the same trick but with Teflon plumbers tape for suppressors. Also depending upon the application I have used an O -ring between the two parts that grips when parts are tightened.

Wolfer
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
I've used most of the above with good results but my favorite is blue silicon form-a-gasket.
Since I'm an electrician I always have some Scotch cote electrical coating on hand. It works great also.