PDA

View Full Version : 480 Ruger bullet choise

jules
02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Just getting into casting and I figure this is the best place for info. I have a 480 SuperRedhawk and am looking at getting a few custom molds from Mountain Mold or Accurate Mold. Any info I can get here would sure help. I am looking for weight between 375 to 400grs but have no idea about design. I don't know if I should use gas checks or not being I will not push these over 1100fps. I have a Lee size die and plan to Tumble lube or Pan lube. Anyone here shooting the 480 that can help me with a Bullet choise. I would like something with a wide flat nose. I have a the Lee 400gr mold and I have cast some of these but would like a better mold.
Thanks,Jules

Tatume
02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Jules,

Lee makes excellent molds. If you're not getting good results with the Lee 400 gr plain based mold then I suggest you work on mastering the techniques of casting before buying custom molds. Also, the Lee 325 gr mold is a gas check design, and gas checks forgive a lot of errors. You might want to try that one.

Take care, Tom

jules
02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks Tom, I was up your way yesterday. I visit with Chris Rhodes" Bayside Custom Guns" in Mathews every chance I get. I do my casting at his place. I was using his 40 caliber mold from MM and my Lee mold to cast. The MM mold seemed much easier and soo much smoother. The Lee worked fine. I am all ears at this time.

Lefty SRH
02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Jules, I have an Accurate 48-420S mold that shoots great out of my SRH .480. It has a nice BIG meplat and I'd say its of the LFN design. I'd say no to the GC mold, I don't see the need for it myself. At some point I plan on having Accurate make a mold for me that will shave a little weight off my existing mold, something around the 400gr mark.

jules
02-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks Lefty,
I was leaning toward trying Accurate Molds. What are you using for lube? I just ordered some Carnuba Red.

Lefty SRH
02-17-2013, 01:44 PM
The Carnuba Red should be fine. I make my own pistol lube. What size are the throats in your SRH? What length barrel?

DLCTEX
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't think I can get any better results than what I'm getting with the Lee 400 gr. The new Lee 2 cavity moulds may work smoother with the new locating pins, but I have learned to cast easily with the old style.

jules
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
The Carnuba Red should be fine. I make my own pistol lube. What size are the throats in your SRH? What length barrel?

I don't have a pin guages so I'm not 100% sure of exact size. I cast some 400gr Lee and sized them in a Lee size die. The bullets measure .476 when they are sized. I wiped off all the lube and tryed it in every cylinder chamber. All but 1 throat I had to kinda push the bullet through with the butt end of a Lee powder dipper " Hey it was the closest thing to me" but it worked. The 1 chamber did not fall through but was a tad easier then the rest. I will get it checked next time I am at Bayside Custom. 7.5" barrel and will soon be having another with a 5".

jules
02-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think I can get any better results than what I'm getting with the Lee 400 gr. The new Lee 2 cavity moulds may work smoother with the new locating pins, but I have learned to cast easily with the old style.

I'm sure the one I got is a newer one. Got it a couple weeks ago from Midway. I noticed when I was casting, after I dropped the bullets the mold sometimes had to have a wiggle to get it to close correctly. I cast about 75. At the same time I cast about 200 of 40 caliber with the MM and never had a bit of trouble closing them.