PDA

View Full Version : Guns used in Sudden Impact

kenyerian
02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Just got done watching Sudden Impact again . My memory isn't the best so I did a little research om the Auto Mag Pistol that Harry uses to finish the movie after his S&W 29 is kicked into the Ocean. Here is a link for anyone interested. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Sudden_Impact#AMP_Auto_Mag_Model_180 I've always wanted to shoot an AMP Auto Mag Model 180 but I can't remember even seeing one. Anyone on this board have one?

gunfan
02-17-2013, 11:29 AM
No, but the late Harry Sanford's Auto Mag sold at auction a few short years ago. the .44 auto Mag was later manufactured by Arcadia Machine and Tool (AMT.) Some parts were prone to breakage, but the cartridge enjoyed a reputation as being quite robust. In fact, the cartridge/handgun combination, from it's inception, was designed for hunting purposes. The pistol was accurate and well suited for it's intended task.

Scott

lar45
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a TDE Model 180 in 44AMP.
http://www.lsstuff.com/misc/44amp.jpg
It seems that most of the load data now is focused on just making the gun operate without breaking anything. Think warm 44 spl.
Reaming cases from cut down 308 brass is a real pain. I am so glad that Starline decided to make them.

MtGun44
02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
I used to have a model 180. HUGE, accurate and powerful pistol. I could shoot 4" groups at 100 yds
with the stock gun and sights. I still have a few boxes of the original factory ammo around, I think,
plus I think some of the factory brass, too.

Bill

429421Cowboy
02-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I have wanted an Auto Mag since before i saw Sudden Impact, that only makes me want one more! Something about the idea of a monster like that, way more class than a Desert Eagle, just a sweet, powerful gun! Always been impressed by the design and the asthetics, just an awesome, classy beautiful gun!

PS Paul
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I watched it again last night again too! On cable. My boy sure was interested in that Automag. Funny how we have a different perspective on a movie when we look back after watching it 20 years ago. That redhead witch sure is fugly, no? ha-ha!

daniel lawecki
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Did'nt they make that in 357 auto mag also.I saw 1 at a gunshow about 20yrs ago for sale at $2.500

rintinglen
02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I spent stupid money for the time and bought one of the AM Pasadena guns in 1974--*** and PITA. The only ammo available was that grossly underloaded Aquila stuff out of mexico. Otherwise, you were cutting off and reaming 30-06 or .308 brass. Spend hours making 50 cases. I sold it after a few months of constant malfunctions and never looked back. When I saw Sudden Impact, I knew it was fiction when he got the gun to go off multiple times without jamming. George Nonte and Lee Jurras where all over the Gun Mags in those days touting the gun, and it was pretty accurate, but not at all reliable. Think Bren 10, and you'll understand the scam behind the Automag, save that the Automag came with magazines. (Undercapitalized firm rushing product to market to get investors to pony up, only to go belly up when the facts come out.)

What hurt was that I sold three good guns to buy it, and had the devil's own time replacing them. These aren't the only times when fire arms are in short supply.

Matt_G
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
That redhead witch sure is fugly, no? ha-ha!

Yep, if you look up skank in the dictionary, it should have her picture there...

MtGun44
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Interesting. My Automag was a Pasedina gun, was extremely accurate and absolutely
reliable after one repair at the factory for a broken takedown lever, failed in the first
100 rds, they fixed it for free.

Factory ammo was accurate, seemed to run about the same as my handloads which
were VERY hot. Brass lasted forever, and I'd still have the gun except for a weak firing
pin spring which led to a firing out of battery when dropping the bolt to chamber the first
round. No injury to my wife, who was shooting the gun, but since it was unlocked it
acted like a blowback, bolt hit the bolt rotation pin so hard that it cracked the frame ring.

A gunsmith that was recommended took the gun and disappeared, never was able to
get anything done about it. Beale's Bullets in Pennsy somewhere. A thief.

Liked the gun a lot, would still have it today.

Bill

shorty500M
02-17-2013, 08:39 PM
got a .357AMP with the 8-1/2 plain barrel a few years back. its an El Monte address TD&E with jurras lionhead logo. added nice wood from Eagle and picked up few small parts online just in case. Formed cases from Starline 44AMP. Dies hurt had to custom order those. Big dose of h4227 drives 190cast at 1700fps. Accurate and reliable so far. Would sure love a .44 barrel