PDA

View Full Version : Dry Rot

daboone
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I recently got a #5 Enfield. Along the barrel channel there is dry rot. This is not oil soaked wood but appears to just crumble is a few thin areas along the channel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated before I attempt repair.

hiram
02-17-2013, 03:30 AM
Minwax makes a liquid that soaks into wood. It is called woodhardener. I don't know if this seals the wood from taking a stain.

flounderman
02-17-2013, 09:23 AM
If the wood is oil impegnated, not much will stick to it. If it was mine, I would remove the rotted wood down to clean wood, wax the barrel, mix fiberglass and sandings of a lighter colored wood, because it will turn darker, apply it to where it is needed, with some excess and put everything together and let it harden. the excess will ooze out around the barrel and can be shaped after it hardens. drilling some small shallow holes or undercutting, will help the adhesion. You could remove the wood in a uniform fashion and glass bed the barrel channel, if there are large areas that need to be replaced. just use release on the barrel. again, if the wood is oil soaked it will not adhere very well. drilling small holes to give the glass something to grab onto will help.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Flounderman has it right. The only thing to do with dry rot is remove and replace.