PDA

View Full Version : Lots of new reloaders!

jnovotny
02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Man there are lots of folks buying reloading equipment and componants these days. I hope that they all can safely reload without any supervision, just saying when I started loading I had mentors that helped me along. I have been telling some of the fellas at work that have gotten on this bandwagon that the best thing they can do is get a load book and read, read, read!

btroj
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Reading is good. A well versed mentor who can sit beside you is better.

jmorris
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Yep, many new folks are on the way, many have bought stuff and don't even reload yet. You are starting to see the results in threads like "small pistol magnum primers OK for rifle loads" and such.
Many don't use the search function but we were all young once and jumped in with both feet.
More "X" kaboom threads to follow I am sure. At least folks can say they didn't build faulty ammunition, every one knows that the Government built it...

300winmag
02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Reading is good. A well versed mentor who can sit beside you is better.

I started with both, books and mentor. I now have many books, mentor has long since passed away. I try now to pass on what I can to those that are willing to learn and have a good head on there shoulders. So for the newbies please read and read again, If you are 2nd guessing yourself Please ask for help.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
From what I hear, reloading equipment for sale is almost non existant. Even the warehouses are out of stock. A friend recently announcd he wanted to get into casting. That brings up a whole new set of potential horrors.

Garpo
02-16-2013, 07:20 PM
The Speer Reloading Manual #11 and the Lyman CB Handbook 3rd edition were my instructors. And to this day, I still refer to them.

dragon813gt
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I've been acting in a selfish manor lately. I've been telling everyone to not reload and definitely don't get into casting. I've been telling this to individuals that aren't going to read up and are most likely going to cause harm to themselves and possibly others. I feel that I'm doing them a favor ;)

Most new reloaders are going to abandon it as soon as factory ammo becomes available easily. To many people are lazy and would rather just go buy ammo. I'm hoping to score some good deals on barely used equipment when that rolls around :)

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Over 40 years ago when I was 14, I knew no one to help me learn reloading. I was inspired by American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo.

I just dove in head first and learned on my own. From a Mec 600 Jr, to a Lee Loader (whack a mole), to a Rock Chucker, up the food chain so to speak.

Would not wish that on anyone. Like others said, mentoring is the best way.

gunoil
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
i read for 3 months and watched 800 youtubes.

Then bought !

But, bought trays and hand press from lee, used scale and hand scoops. Loaded 380 only for 9 months. Ergo prime and such. Then repeated above and bought LOADMASTER. It all worked for me!

drklynoon
02-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I was lucky I had my father as a mentor and I am an avid reader. Those that are not as lucky have the benefit of forums although first hand instruction is usually best. I rarely advise people to get involved but often enough I advise them as to the benefits and detractions of our great hobby.

slim1836
02-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I jumped in with both feet, first reloading, then casting. Been doing both less than 5 years. So far so good.

I thank the Cast Boolits membership for their contributions for it is they who have taught me the most. I'm on this site every day, I guess it's called an addiction. Learned a lot and have much more to learn.

No one around me (that I know) reloads or casts their own so what I have learned is through reading books, this site, and just doing it.

It brings me happiness to take wheel weights, cast them into projectiles, and develop a load that groups as good or better than factory ammo.

Gotta love it.

Slim

merlin101
02-16-2013, 08:56 PM
I was on my own and learned by reading, I still have the first reloading book I bought. BASIC HANDLOADING by George C. Nonte Jr.
I highly recommend it for any newbie!

farmerjim
02-16-2013, 09:41 PM
50 years ago I didn't know anyone who reloaded. I learned everything out of books. Started loading 12 gauge then pistol and rifle and casting my own Boolits. I stopped for about 40 years and just started back about 6 months ago. Many things have changed and many are the same. I am still learning. Most of it from this place. Thanks to all of you.

TCoggins
02-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I learned reloading on my own, but started by reading and re-reading a loading manual, then started slow by loading some 45-70 for my Handi rifle. Of course, that progressed to handloading for pistols, and am currently loading .380, 9mm, 38 sp/357 mag/357 max.

I have a friend that wants to learn to reload. So he has had one of my loading manuals for about a couple months. I told him to get the components, and he could use my equipment. In talking to him, he is asking the right questions, so he is learning. We haven't loaded any rounds yet, but when we do, I will be there next to him making sure that everything goes as required. Everything is loaded on a single stage press, cases are primed by hand with a lee hand primer, and all powder loads are weighed with an RCBS chargemaster.

While I am not the greatest authority on handloading, if it isn't in a manual, it doesn't get loaded. I can only hope that all the new reloaders will get help and be willing to learn like this.

Az Rick
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Worries me too. Especially those that start on progressive machines. The potential for a bad outcome is there. On another forum a fellow was kinda flippant about just destroying a Model 29. That's a $700-$800.00 mistake, well deserved. He is a new reloader. Thank goodness he just blew up his gun. No serious injury to him but what if someone had been beside him at the range? There is potential for harm to bystanders. You would be held liable.
If you are a new reloader, heed this,...Do not get distracted while reloading.

Like many of you, I load ammo that is a far cry better than anything else you can purchase. We take pride in that.

Read study and read more. There are folks here that will help. DO NOT READ POSTS ABOUT RECIPES OR LOADS AND USE THEM WITHOUT SOME KIND OF VERIFICATION. Reloading manuals are good, get several. Powder companies provide data on their Websites, read it.

Be safe,

retread
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM
To all you folks that are new to reloading. The above comments are very important. Crawl before you walk and never run! Ignorance and distractions are the leading causes of accidents. I started reloading in 1960. I still follow the same advice you have been getting from the folks here. Read, Read. If you are in doubt, stop and ask for help. There are a lot of folks out there that will be glad to help. Above all be humble and be safe. Forums like this are a great resource. Back when I started we didn't have near the resources at our fingertips like you do today. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that is out there.

Retread

btroj
02-16-2013, 11:37 PM
I learned to load and cast from a member here, 1Shirt, back in the early 80s.
Then I married his daughter. The rest is history.

I feel it is my duty to teach as many as possible to shoot, load, and cast.

doulos
02-17-2013, 12:15 AM
About 30 years ago I bought a Lyman expert reloading kit with a Spar T turret And 2 reloading manuals. I learned by reading too. I knew no one else who did it. I taught myself and always started at the suggested starting loads. I didn't reload alot and only for handguns at the time. Just enough so that I would never be out of ammo. My interest turned heavily to muzzleloading and archery for along time. So my handgun shooting went down to about a 1000 rounds per year. I was burning many pounds of blackpowder instead. And I didnt handgun hunt as much. So most of my reloading was for my BPCR and that got me into casting.

Well I started about 6 years ago shooting more and hunting with handguns again. I started reloading a lot more too. I probably shoot about 5-6000 rounds of my handloads a year. I usually encourage people to learn how to handload. And make myself available to help them.

A few things I think are important to never forget
1. no distractions when relaoding
2. have more than 1 source of load data
and try to use up to date manuals.
3. always start at suggested starting loads
4. Know the signs of pressure
5. read ,read ,read
and if you are unsure, ask and study until you are
Forums like this are a good resource to learn how to do things.
6. I wont shoot anyone else's reloads
7. Any load I am unsure about I pull it and start again. The way to find out about a load isnt pulling the trigger and seeing what happens.
8. have more than 1 scale or at least some check weights to make sure you weight are accurate.
9. don't load for speed, load for quality.
I'm probably much slower on my Dillon 550b than a lot of people but its plenty fast for me.
10. keep records!!!!!!! and notes

This is not rocket science, but it is not learned overnight either. I think patience and a willingness to go slow are the greatest virtues.

We should be helping people to learn this skill not waiting for them to sell their equipment. I gave some of my older equipment to a friend I shoot with so he could learn. He is in the process of picking up some more stuff and we'll get started. I figure he will be way ahead of where I was just being able to sit and do it with someone to lead him. People who reload usually shoot a lot. It makes people more interested in shooting too. In todays anti gun climate we need as many avid knowledgeable shooters in our ranks as possible.

27judge
02-17-2013, 12:34 AM
i started in 1960 with a lyman . i started casting a few months later. i have been thru much equipment over the years i still have 3 of my molds from 1960 and the lyman lead furnace. also held on to the old lyman powder scale. I now have many more molds a dillon 550 and 2 rockchuckers. im teaching both my grandsons 17 and 20 so they can continue on with my equipment . the loading life has been good to me and ive done one pile of shooting because of it tks for your time ken

nhrifle
02-17-2013, 01:04 AM
I went to my local gunshop today and scored two boxes of primers, which was almost half of their entire stock. Tooling and components were almost gone. And once again, there were a bunch of people walking around, looking for answers to some very basic questions, the kind that scream, "I have no idea what I am doing will you please help me???"

The one shelf that was still fully stocked was the one with the reloading manuals. It scares me to think that all these new people are going to be relying on suspect and potentially dangerous data posted by equally inexperienced people on the net. I handed a couple of them books and said, "Read this before you do anything." I hope it sank in because ignorance in reloading can be potentially fatal.

Please, if you see someone just starting out, do what you can to scare them into getting a good, reputable book.

Huntducks
02-17-2013, 05:38 AM
All you have to do is look at any reloading forum and some of the dumbest ? I have ever heard.

Boy Do I ever agree with the previous posts about guys buying progressive presses and zero loading experance, I watched a guy buy a 1050 Dillon fully loaded with ZERO loading time under his belt, ran into him 2 weeks later and his 40 sig would not chamber a round after 5 of his reloads, he was picking anyones brain that would help him.

I loaded my first shotshell when I was 10 that was 55 years ago still remember the press a CH shellmaster
had a great mentor my brother (15yrs older) bought my first loading set up when I was 16 a Lyman Sparten press, still have my first shotshell press a 600 mec all I use it for is to crimp 3.5" steel.

FLHTC
02-17-2013, 06:01 AM
All you have to do is look at any reloading forum and some of the dumbest ? I have ever heard.

Boy Do I ever agree with the previous posts about guys buying progressive presses and zero loading experance, I watched a guy buy a 1050 Dillon fully loaded with ZERO loading time under his belt, ran into him 2 weeks later and his 40 sig would not chamber a round after 5 of his reloads, he was picking anyones brain that would help him.

I loaded my first shotshell when I was 10 that was 55 years ago still remember the press a CH shellmaster
had a great mentor my brother (15yrs older) bought my first loading set up when I was 16 a Lyman Sparten press, still have my first shotshell press a 600 mec all I use it for is to crimp 3.5" steel.

A question isn't dumb, its a learning process. Some have taught themselves to load and some are going to need teaching but calling a students question dumb won't accomplish anything but create work for the emergency room. If we want a gathering in this sport, we need to help one another and not criticise. Just saying.

cephas53
02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
The mindset of loading has certainly changed over the years. The process for many has been distilled to watching u-tube and buying a progressive press. Having myself learned, for a lack of a better term, old school, many of todays newbies questions seem dumbfounding. I buy a few older reloading manuals when I can. Usually for a few bucks at a gun show. When someone expresses interest in hand loading and wants to come over I offer them a manual, and tell them to check out the first few basic chapters before hand. The results are pretty much what you think they'd be.

s1120
02-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Well I would call myself new reloader. Well. kinda.... I didnt just show up when ammo got hard to find, and dive right into it. Growing up my Dad reloaded a ton. I didnt live with dad, but on visits saw it done many times, and all the tools of the trade where common place, and always around in my youth. Well cars, girls, and my youth got in the way, and it was not something I thought about. About 7 years ago when I was in my early 40's dad got sick. Well he talked me into getting my permit and I got my first gun. That first one was a S&W K53Jet. With that I got a lot of empty casings, and the dies to reload. At that point I started reading up. I had ammo to fire, so I did not start yet.. Well much studying, and reading, later... fast foward to last year. Dad passed away and left me the rest of his guns, and his reloading stuff. So sence that ive slowly collected more info, and some components. I had been planning to just buy bullets, but after NY dropped this new firearm laws on our head I started thinking that I might want to be a little more independent. Dad had casting gear, becouse he casted almost all his pistol match stuff, so I decided to get into the casting end also. So... wile I would say Im a new reloader becouse I havent loded by myself yet... Im defently not fly-by-nighter, just flocking after the new law fallout. Im lucky that I have seen it done many times, and also have a step brouther thats goin to walk me through the first loads. The casting part.... well that Im on my own on, and I have more research to do before I jump in!!

trapper9260
02-17-2013, 08:44 AM
I started off reloading 12ga and 410 with my dad and brother when we first started by that some one that we got a 12 go from sold it and added his reloader that was all by hand no machine ,then we got a lee load all and that was back in the late 70's then after I got out of the navy I went into rifle and hand gun and up grade on a press for shotgun but on the rifle and handgun I learn from the book of lyman and I got there press and casting things that was all in the mid 80's my farther had no idea of doing any of the rile or hand gun I learn all form the book . The thing of casting that is where my dad taught me the safty of that because we use to make our own sinkers for fishing and all. He use to work for a foundry years before . I kept up on it then stop due to moven around and then went back into it and yes i have taough some how to do it and I have learn some on here and other sites but most of all from the book and I have many.I had a gunsmith told me that I am the only one that he knows that do the most casting for them self .I also make my own bullet lube. But as for teaching anyone you can see who is really wants to do it or they just say it and like was stated that they buy a progressive loader and do not have a clue on it and they do not want to listen to any advice. It is getting interesting for the times to come and like some said after if this thing is done we will see how many will stay with it and who dose not .

Gar
02-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I started reloading and casting in 1974. No mentor but I did buy a Lyman reloading manual first.
Bought a Lee handloader for my .357, 10 lb Lee pot, Lyman sizer and a Lyman mold. Used the Lee powder scoop for the first 1000 or so boolits I reloaded. Now its 40 years later, a couple of dozen reloading manuals, several thousand in equipment and a couple of 100 thousand rounds through a couple of 100 guns and I still don't know enough, but I'm learning 8-)

trapper9260
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I hear you I am learning also and always looking for other ideas also to make things easy and I still isen the same lyman press I first got to do rifle and handgun and will not part from it and Trerent one .I mainly stick with the Lyman manuals , but have others also .Lyman given more detail I see on reloading even on there cast bullet one that is how i learn . Some say I do not know how to reload or anything about it , but they shoot muzzle loader ,I told them you already know the basic.

Case Stuffer
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
The mindset of loading has certainly changed over the years. The process for many has been distilled to watching u-tube and buying a progressive press.

So very true for so many and what I find most troubling about it is that many of these new progressive press owners do not really experienced DIY types. My guess is most could not do an oil / filter change, change a flat tire , replace a water heater, remove and clean a lawn mower carburator etc. It seems like for the past 30 years many just become skilled in thier chosen field and call a professional (?) for every little problem that comes along.

I started reloading in 1966 with a RCBS Jr. and was drafted same year and spent a year in VN. Got really heavy into IPSC,PPC,Bowling Pins, Steel Plate matches in the early 80's and purchased a Star Progressive (best progressive every made,IMO.) and a CH Auto Champ MK V a. These two progressive presses turned out tens of thousands of rounds per years for a few years until work got in the way and I had to cut way back on my shooting and close up shop on my sideline ammo business. Guess I should note that I cast well over 95% of the Bootlits and only purchased jacketed ones for the few customers who refused to shot exposed lead.

I am retired now and getting back into rolling my own since 9MM has more than doubled and besides that is almost not available. My son is old enough to learn the ropes now and if he continues to show interest I may end up with a loading / shooting buddy which means I will really have a super major problem finding enough primers and powder but there are much worse problems to have.

dragon813gt
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes, it's true that no question is a dumb question. But asking questions that are clearly covered in reloading manuals is reckless behavior. I feel the same way about posting load data on forums. People get mad when you tell them to check a manual because that's where the answers are. I see no need to post load data, especially if it's more than listed max, since they're for your firearms and unless you have pressure testing equipment you can't prove that they're at a safe level.

And the YouTube videos aren't the greatest source of info. A lot of them have wrong practices depicted in them. A new reloader is not going to be able to pick through them and distinguish the good from the bad. Anyone that's not mechanical should not attempt reloading IMO. There are a lot of people that think they're mechanical but really aren't. I'm truly worried that people are going to rush through the process and injure others. If they hurt themselves it's on them. It's inexcusable to hurt others.

429421Cowboy
02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I am just hoping that someday alot of really lightly used reloading gear will come onto the market for us to share!

Was in the local big box sports store yesterday, all of the presses are gone, even the display models! As i was standing there a guy came up to a salesman and asked about getting a loading setup, something progessive, and that he had between $900-1100 to spend on getting setup. My jaw about hit the floor! I'd be happy to have $100 bucks to spend on more reloading tools or supplies!
Two weeks ago when i was there, the guy looking at presses couldn't even speak English well enough to get through to the salesman.
Yep, I'd say we're starting to see some new reloaders. I had a little help getting into it, but for my first rounds, my brother and i figured it out on our own. I have offered to help anyone i know get into reloading and help them down the trail, most take me up on that. This place is where i try and point them all for extra reading and help, i have learned more here than I'll ever really be able to appreicate!

W.R.Buchanan
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I started with a Lee Loader, and Lee priming tool and a plastic hammer in 1970 I also got a copy of Lyman #45.
I seriously question the mindset of people who jump into a progressive press with no basic instruction under their belt.

Understanding the sequence of events in reloading a cartridge is the basic concept of reloading. It must be thouroughly understood front to back, and the reasons why each step if performed must be understood as well.

It doesn't help that there is about 18 different ways to accomplish each step also. This very fact underscores the need to fully understand how and why each reloading step is done.

I have not seen a book that shows all of the different methods of accomplishing each step in case prep or loading. Different ways to deliver a powder charge, different types of sizing dies, seating dies, crimping dies, and what the uses are for each one.

How about case trimming. You can find 25 different tools to do the same job. Primer pocket operations like swaging or chamfering or reaming are another example of multiple choices for tooling.

The actual loading process is pretty simple, you knock out the old primer, size the case, prime it, charge it, seat the bullet, and crimp if necessary.

The problems arise when you see all of the different tools that can be used for each operation.

I had a guy ask me just yesterday if he needed to use a 4 die set or a 3 die set for .45 ACP? I explained how the two different sets worked and he chose the 4 die set.

He didn't understand what the dies actually did. Nobody had explained it to him.

People don't read instructions very well and the fact that they will only read them once and expect to fully understand the proceedure is one of the biggest problems for any technical endevor. The fact that they "think" they understand the concept after one reading is where the problems start.

I assembled my new Bosch Router table Friday. I had to read the instructions several times to get it together right.

One big point here: It won't blow up! :holysheep

Randy

LUBEDUDE
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
People don't read instructions very well and the fact that they will only read them once and expect to fully understand the proceedure is one of the biggest problems for any technical endevor. The fact that they "think" they understand the concept after one reading is where the problems start.

I assembled my new Bosch Router table Friday. I had to read the instructions several times to get it together right.

Randy - considering you actually DESIGN machinery, this speaks volumes.

Huntducks
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Wrong their are dumb ? and I think I have read more in the last few mo then I have in 10yrs, read a ? where someone asked, I just got into reloading and my dies have a nail like thing sticking out of it what is that for? GEE I WONDER IF THIS PERSON SHOULD BE RELOADING, I even question if they should own a gun.

You tube is the worst think that has happened to reloading 75% of the shat is wrong and watching it most are guys showing how they cut corners.

AGEE many guys don't have a mechanical bone in there body, they could not put a cork in there rear straight.

r1kk1
02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
In '68, my uncle had me punch wads for his 8 & 10 gauges. I think it was the mid 70s when I seen my 1st one piece wad for 12 gauge. If I remember right, I shot a lot of 1-1/4 oz trap loads. Later it became 1-1/8 oz and now 7/8 oz loads are common. He gave me a 375c to load shotshells with. While in high school in the 70s I inherited my grandfathers Mauser in 8mm-06. I loaded using his equipment with surplus powder. It was not only my 1st center fire, but my 1st wildcat of sorts. I read everything I could get my hands on. I bought Speer and Lyman manuals. I bought my 1st pistol in early 80s, a Ruger 44 mag. Been a whirlwind of dies and guns since.

I still love loading shotshells and rifles. I turn out literally tons of handgun stuff each year. The Contender made it possible to accumulate a plethora of different calibers and cartridges.

It seems with every shortage we get more reloaders. I hear more comments and old wives tales that repeat year after year. It's sad as someone pointed out, reloading books sit on shelves when everything else goes. Too bad. Kindle even has reloading books in e-format for the tech savvy.

Oh well,

r1kk1

s1120
02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
. Kindle even has reloading books in e-format for the tech savvy.

Oh well,

r1kk1

Realy?? I never thought to check that. Thanks for the tip!!

doulos
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I am sure I'll get flamed for this. No one has said the obvious about all the new reloaders. Why? Because these people are afraid they wont be able to exercise their 2nd amendment rights without ammunition. And they are right. A gun without ammo is useless. You don't think these people see where things are headed? More people are going out and buying firearms too than ever before.

I had a guy at the gun range lament to me that many of his co workers are all buying guns and many of them shouldn't own one. I answered "did they pass the background check?" And he said "of course". Well" then they can have on" Good thing this guy isn't the one 'making the decisions on who could defend themselves with a firearm.
The vast majority here on this forum weren't technically proficient at reloading either when they started. And most of us started in a era that wasn't filled with the fear our firearms would become useless paperweights. People are in a panic because they see a government bent on destroying private firearm ownership. Avid shooters and relaoaders aren't the only ones who see this.

We have to stop with this minds set about who is qualified to do this or that. What many of us started as a hobby to save money or because of our interest in firearms.These people are starting reloading because they think its necessary. They dont want to be without ammunition either. Even if they dont shoot as much or have the great interest in the shooting sports like many here. This is a Second Amendment issue in my mind. I will encourage as many as I can to exercise their rights

Huntducks
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
doulos

I agree with you, but they also have a responcablity for safe reloading practices and firearm handling, I don't want to be at the range and the bench next to them, like some have posted reloading manuals
and instructions seem to go unused.

It's like hunting with someone who has no clue about a safty, and they took a hunter safty course.

doulos
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I agree about the safety aspect Huntsducks. But I dont ever remember a time so unfriendly to gun ownership and firearms in general. We have to band together and keep reaching out to help those who are new to this aspect of shooting. And teach them as much as we can.

I think it is going to get much worse for firearms owners in this country. Ammunition and reloading components will probably be attacked also. Not just certain types of guns.

Love Life
02-18-2013, 06:05 PM
I started out reloading on a Dillon RL550B. Progressives presses aren't mythical machines that turn into monsters and double charge your ammunition out of pure joy of watching you have a bad day. I didn't own a single stage press until I had been reloading for about 1 year or so.

At the end of the day it is only a machine and will do exactly what the operator tells it to do. An idiot loads bad ammo on a single stage just as efficiently as an idiot loads 100's of bad rounds on a progressive.

I weighed my shooting needs and bought the best machine to meet those needs. Would I do things differently if I could go back in time? No. Dillons were cheaper back then and I would hate to buy one now.

All that being said if you read the manuals, talk to experienced loaders, watch informative videos that most companies offer, and take the time to do it right then you should have very little issues.
I agree with NHRifle that we have to get new reloaders to buy and utilize manuals. I fear nothing more than hearing the following at the range "I found this load on the net."

o6Patient
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
all been said, read multiple sources and don't be afraid of talking to a qualified
experienced reloading buddy, and always arr on the side of caution(don't boldly go..
at least at first lol)

FLHTC
02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Wrong their are dumb ? .

Who's dumb?

Case Stuffer
02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
New gun owners / reloaders: IMO most should not start with a progressive press due to most people are no longer mechanicaly inclined. If one can not find and replace a defective circuite breaker or fuse, change their oil and filter, repaire a leaky facute then perhaps they need a mentor before re loading especially on a progressive.

New gun owners and ammo shortage : Guess what all the reloading presses in the world even fully automated $2,500 Dillions are going to be of little use without primers,powder,Boolits and casings.

Goverment wants our guns:

Not really breaking news. A movement under foot in the UN has wanted / be trying / planing on disarming US citizens since 1961. Every time there is a mass shooting no matter the age group, state,firearm type used etc. the Brady Bunch launches another major push for more gun controls.

The most important thing which needs to happen IMO is that a majorty of these new gun owners join and support the NRA and that those who carry seak proper training and then infact practice and shoot often enough to stay decently profecient.

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Case stuffer: I would go one step farther with your last statement. I think every gun buyer should be signed up with the NRA as part of the deal.. It is the one "manditory" thing I'd like to see happen. It could be included in the cost of the gun and if you were already a member it would just become either an extension of your existing membership, or if you were a 'Life Member" it would be a donation to the cause. Nobody is going to miss another $25 added to the cost of any gun. I bought 4 guns last year,, that's an extra $100. We spend more than that on a decent dinner with drinks.

The quickest and easiest way to increase NRA membership that there is. Especially right now.

I always cringe when someone says they aren't a member because of some imagined or even real disagreement with the NRA's positions. I look at it this way. If you're not with us, then you're against us.

Just like voting for Ron Paul because you didn't like Romney,,, NO,,, if you didn't vote for Romney, by default you voted for Obama... simple as that!

Lots of times membership in an organization is more about "the enemy of my enemy, is my friend." You don't have to like everything about them,,, you just have to hate them less than the other *****s!

Randy

doulos
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Its incredible that the NRA has only about 4-5 milllion members when we have about 40-50% of all households with at least 1 firearm. That is probably around 60 million gun owners in this country at last estimate. How eager would these politicians be about more gun control if the NRA had 20 million members?

Beebee
02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
I think i read manuals for 8 months before i bought my reloading setup. Then i kept reading for 2 months before i used it. Still reading and learning everyday.

Shiloh
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I passed up a used RCBS press last summer for $35. Rough but functional. I didn't need it. The person who purchased it is probably glad they have it.

Shiloh

sirgknight
02-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Case Stuffer kinda touched on it.....to be safe and successful in our beloved hobby, one must truly be able to exhibit some real COMMON SENSE, which ain't so common anymore. Common sense is a learned process by watching a mentor perform tasks, make decisions, learn how different things operate or work and learn how to build or repair things, and by being allowed to be a part of that process. Computers, video games, and a lot of the other "indoor stuff" has just about taken the real interaction completely out of the equation of life. Interaction has taken on an entirely different meaning in this day and time and common sense has been replaced by ipad, iphone, dvd, blue-ray, etc. If computers went down at Walmart, you would probably be hard-pressed to find a cashier who could give you the correct change without a calculator.....kinda scary!!!!

Ohio Rusty
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I started with muzzleloaders, casting round ball. I learned about correctly measured charges using BP. Not long after I acquired a couple of revolvers (S&W Model 13 and a Colt lawman Mk III). I wanted to make ammo instead of buying it. I began also with a Lee loader, then moved up to a Lyman Turrent press (which was a piece of junk). I was fortunate to have bought several reloading manuals and did alot of reading and studying before loading shells. Later a friend and knowledgeable reloader acquired a Contender and barrels as I did. That was a big expansion of learning, reading and loading experiences.

One important aspect a new person needs to know is they need a really good powder measure system of some kind. Do not scrimp here !! Having the correct measured loads are extremely important for safety. I have a RCBS 1500 digital scale. I don't have the auto measure component that goes on the scale. I still like using dippers and a dribbler. I make many of my own measures. I made 2 recently. One from a .9MM empty and another from a .40 cal. empty soldered onto a thick copper wire handle. With a little tweaking to case length, they both throw 3.2 grains and 4.0 grains of trailboss respectively. I'm not a high capacity loader, and the dip and dribble system works well for me for all the rounds I load. I have complete control of every process and powder amounts to ensure each round is safe and correct.

It's good there are new reloaders out there, but they need to do more than watch a U-tube video or read an internet posting about reloading. If you don't have a mentor, Interaction with other reloaders and casters here and asking lots of questions will help clarify the process. That is a great start. I'm thankful to Cast Boolits for all the great info that has been posted in the past. I'm not really a newbie, but I still peruse the archives for information and refer to my reloading manuals before I start making a new load. There are ALOT of more knowledgeable and highly experienced reloaders and boolit casters on this list that have posted super valuable information in the past and it is available for reading and learning -- Spend time in the archives as most questions you have may have already been posted in past threads. Lastly ....Having correct and published load data available to you is paramount.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Petro58
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes I am currently trying to help a guy that's been like a Dad to me (mine passed 7yrs ago) get setup for Reloading. He lost 1 of his daughters and wife within 9 months 2011 -2012 and moved in with other Daughter up in Beaufort. Anyway, on his last visit (he comes and spends a week at a time with us) The first thing I did was give him my older "ABC's of Reloading" and my Lyman Manual. Told him to Read on, Read on. I finally have him a pretty nice set of Gear together, although still needing a couple of die sets (.45acp & .380). He's on his way to see us today and has no clue that I have all this Gear for him. Hope I don't give him a Stroke.
I'm no Reloading Guru but was taught the basic's from my Dad yrs ago, and I've never read a Book. I intend to Read my ABC's when I get my book back. I know other guys that have Loaded for years that never Read a book either, and a couple of them have said "Even after Loading for Years", it did them alot of Good to finally Read a couple Books. Even though I didn't, I still strongly advise anyone that askes me about Reloading to get a couple books and Read FIRST. Then start asking questions. I've spent alot of time here "Just Reading". I've made some deals, and Donated some too (wish I could do more). You guys and This SITE are GRRRREAT and Much Appreciated in MY Book!!

Kull
03-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Man there are lots of folks buying reloading equipment and componants these days. I hope that they all can safely reload without any supervision.....

Yes I hope so too.

I was at my local gun store a couple weeks ago and half ended up in this reloading conversation between a customer and employee. The customer had come in and he had this really old reloading manual. Soft cover, thin, definitely something he had found in a box of his grandfather stuff while putting up the Christmas lights or something. Armed with this pamphlet it sounded like he got curious about reloading and with the panic on came down to the store to ask some questions. His main question was "what do they mean by compressed load". The employee explained and he just couldn't get it. Couldn't visualize in his head the bullet taking up space in the case. Then came the follow up questions like "what the fastest way to count the grains" and "can't I just fill it up to the top and stick a bullet in".

In my mind I'm praying for the employee to give the guy some good advise but he only really answered questions with a yes or no answer. I told him to go buy a new book but he seemed disinterested in that idea.

I'm a book guy. I'll read service manuals for fun. The internet is great, exchanging info with other people is great, but books are the best way to learn in my opinion.

hiram1
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Ya what doulos said.he is true be safe read and do the right thing do as the book tells you to do.Just be safe and read it all.start low and go from there read and be safe.HOT LOADS mess your gun up fast.don'do it.if you mess your gun up then you can't shoot if you need to.

TCoggins
03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is looking into reloading 375 H&H. Says that he cannot find load data for the Sierra 350 grain bullet. So he thinks he should be able to calculate the amount of powder necessary based on other load data in the charts.

I tried to explain that the manufacturer's load data is based on extensive testing and pressure measurements, but he thinks he can just tweak some numbers in the charts to get good load data.

I finished the conversation by telling him to take me to the range when he goes, that way I can drive him to the hospital.

The only encouraging part of this conversation is, he does not reload ammo now, and there is no way I am going to allow him to reload something like that with my equipment.

As always, I offered to let him borrow a loading manual so he could learn.

Scary stuff out there.

1Shirt
03-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I have been working with member Bored1, and it is a pleasure to watch him come along. So far, he has loaded 38S and
7.62x54R, and cast sized and lubed about 100 ea, 102 gr. .356's, and 100 or so 85 gr. .245's. Have been to the range with him once, shooting K-Hornet, 45-70, 7.62x54R, 38S, 9Luger, and 40S&W. He is a good listener, and is very contentious, and is reading quite a bit in addition to learning from me, this forum, and I have loaned him the two most recent Lyman Manuals. He is the first one I have started in the last few years, and it is something I enjoy.
1Shirt!

r1kk1
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
New shooters and new reloaders don't bother me. Nor do new drivers, new employees, etc. I was new to most things once.

I remember.

r1kk1

USMC87
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
When I started loading a friend at work schooled me along until I became friends with LAH here on the Vendor Sponsor section. Lynn has been a world of help especially with the casting sessions. I agree that there will be a surplus of equipment coming up for sale as the loaded ammo picks back up. I have heard of one new reloader trying to force primers into LC 7.62x51's, I gave him my swager to use to help him out. Many of the younger generation do not follow directions well at all, All I can say is stay safe and take all the advice you can get.

kartooo
03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
;)

Most new reloaders are going to abandon it as soon as factory ammo becomes available easily. To many people are lazy and would rather just go buy ammo. I'm hoping to score some good deals on barely used equipment when that rolls around :)

that happened to me when i brewed my own beer. i brewed my own for yrs then as i got older i became lazier and just bought a 6 pack at the local package store. my need for beer is much lower now too. casting and re-loading is different. i find it relaxing and a diversion. my boolit consumption depends on the weather....

Swamp Man
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Ok guys I'm one of those new to reloading folks y'all are talking about.LOL Here is the case I shoot 410 and they are wallet killers I'm looking into to everything I can before buying. I have been reading a lot but haven't got my books yet but will read them before ever reloading my first shell. At this point my only interest is in reloading for 410 as a way to save money on shell cost. I'm in no rush to get started just trying to learn what all is needed and such. So far I have got lots of great info from this forum which I'm also new to. My whole out look on this is when it comes to something that could blow my @@@ up it won't help me if I'm dead so being safe is the first order for me.

Remyvtr15
03-03-2013, 08:40 PM
So very true for so many and what I find most troubling about it is that many of these new progressive press owners do not really experienced DIY types. My guess is most could not do an oil / filter change, change a flat tire , replace a water heater, remove and clean a lawn mower carburator etc. It seems like for the past 30 years many just become skilled in thier chosen field and call a professional (?) for every little problem that comes along.

This is not aimed at you, but the cacophony of echos that people are idiots. Thats all fine and dandy. People are idiots. But just like those tenderfoots that took on the West, these newbs have a hankering and foresight to see that this nation is in peril. Stow the attitude and help these people.
Well, considering I'm a Newb yet have done the things mentioned previously (including plumbing and electrical) since I was a kid, including tearing down and rebuilding Corvair engines, I guess I'm capable of progressive reloading... I'll just steer clear of the obviously more superior jobbers that have learned so much but forgot so much more over their life.

While presses and powders can kill or maim a few people.... cars and electricity can kill just as much and just as dead.
I really like this forum and all but one has answered my questions with class and in the spirit of true brotherhood.

And there is no doubt that this past 15-20 years has seen the end of self-reliant types. But there is a hunger for that knowledge now and its best that we all
do our best to strengthen our country.
Those tenderfoots that tamed the west are revered now for their strength in character, determination and willpower. May have been some of your own ancestors.
Yeah I own a goat too

perotter
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Case stuffer: I would go one step farther with your last statement. I think every gun buyer should be signed up with the NRA as part of the deal.. It is the one "manditory" thing I'd like to see happen. It could be included in the cost of the gun and if you were already a member it would just become either an extension of your existing membership, or if you were a 'Life Member" it would be a donation to the cause. Nobody is going to miss another $25 added to the cost of any gun. I bought 4 guns last year,, that's an extra $100. We spend more than that on a decent dinner with drinks.

That would be the same as gun registration. Just the NRA would be holding the data until the gov decided it wanted it.

perotter
03-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Reloading isn't as big a deal as some like to make it out to be. I started at age 11 and had been shown the reloading of 2 rounds. Then I was on my own. If I wanted to shoot, I had to reload. It was years before I even read anything more then the instructions that came with the two Lee Loaders.

perotter
03-03-2013, 09:26 PM
This is not aimed at you, but the cacophony of echos that people are idiots. Thats all fine and dandy. People are idiots. But just like those tenderfoots that took on the West, these newbs have a hankering and foresight to see that this nation is in peril. Stow the attitude and help these people.

And there is no doubt that this past 15-20 years has seen the end of self-reliant types. But there is a hunger for that knowledge now and its best that we all
do our best to strengthen our country.

Yup. There is a big difference between the lack of interest in learning something and the ability to do it. But when the need arises, many can do it.

Kind of like I guy I used to work with. He owned a hammer, a pliers and 2 screwdrivers. And avoided doing anything with them if at all possible. He had never even changed a tire on a car. But, when he got a leaky roof and didn't have the money to hire a new one put on he managed to roof his own house.

Dan Cash
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
New shooters and new reloaders don't bother me. Nor do new drivers, new employees, etc. I was new to most things once.

I remember.

r1kk1

I remember too. 1960 I think, my dad let me get a Herters press and a Herters oil dampened scale and a Speer manual. The guy at the gun shop scooped a couple pounds of surplus 4895 from a 55 gal. drum, handed me a box of 150 grain bullets and some primers. I was off to the races and that was as far as my dad's interest in my reloading project went. 4H calf money bought the goodies. Speer and Hatcher taught me to reload. You can not imagine how slow it goes with an oil dampened powder scale out in the parn at 25 or 30 degrees. i learned, did not blow up any guns and had no other accidents. A new reloader will sort it out if he wants and if he or she reads.

1bluehorse
03-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Yup. There is a big difference between the lack of interest in learning something and the ability to do it. But when the need arises, many can do it.

Kind of like I guy I used to work with. He owned a hammer, a pliers and 2 screwdrivers. And avoided doing anything with them if at all possible. He had never even changed a tire on a car. But, when he got a leaky roof and didn't have the money to hire a new one put on he managed to roof his own house.

Pretty impressive...roof a house with a hammer, a pair of pliers and 2 screwdrivers..I couldn't do that...

I would agree that reloading isn't really difficult, but it's not a good host to mistakes.
I wouldn't take an 11 year old, show him how to reload by loading two bullets and then turn him loose....that's absolutely nuts...

sheepdog01
03-04-2013, 01:50 AM
I am just starting to reload again after a 20 year absence. I dug out my old rockchucker press and bought some new dies. I started shooting action pistol last summer and really got the bug to shoot a lot. When I asked a guy if he saved a lot of money by reloading he said:"No but I shoot a lot more."
I am now researching bullet casting. Let the fun begin.

perotter
03-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I would agree that reloading isn't really difficult, but it's not a good host to mistakes.
I wouldn't take an 11 year old, show him how to reload by loading two bullets and then turn him loose....that's absolutely nuts...

Maybe runs in the blood, being able to do it. Any 11 year old that can't safely reload is a "slow study", so to speak.

My youngest brother started reloading when he was 6 years old. Did stay in the general area though, just in case he had a question. Several of my great uncles would have started by the time they were 10 to 12 also. Not sure when my reloading great grandpa started, as I'm not sure exactly when that branch of the family went from muzzle loaders to cartridge guns. At the oldest, his mid teens.

FWIW, that guy borrowed the the tools he didn't have.

Rusty Goose
03-05-2013, 09:44 PM
As a kid I watched my dad make up his hunting rounds for the season using his lee loader set up, I found it fascinating. I was OK with buying 9mm, .45 acp and .38 sp. But when I bought my Colt saa and Krag carbine, I did not feel like buying ammo anymore. I read for months before buying a used Lee Challenger press setup. Then it snowballed, the Lee is still used for my special rifle cals, but the Dillon 550b does the lion's share now.

JustPlainBillyJoe
03-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Speaking of not knowing what ...
I have a Rossi M720 3-inch barrel .44 Spl. I had been handloading 6.3 grains Unique behind a Herters 240 grain swaged lead bullet. When I first started with that load I noticed unburned grains of powder. The shell is less than half full with that much powder. So, AHA, I brainstormed, put a wad over the powder and it'll ALL burn! So, I made a cutter by beveling a .44 Spl shell into a sharp edge and cut wads from a polystyrene foam meat tray. I then loaded the same 6.3 grains, lightly pressing the wad into contact with the powder and finished the loading process. When I next fired The Rossi with those wadded loads, the gun KICKED LIKE A MULE, but THERE WAS STILL unburned powder. The shells extracted OK.
A little history: Unique loaded with 9.5 grains were tried but were too stout for more than 5 rounds so after several lower weight loads, 6.3 grains was settled on.
WHAT is going on? Are those wads increasing pressures beyond safe pressure levels? I have fired Hornady 180 grain loads, Winchester Silvertips and several brands cowboy action loads in that gun and not even the Hornadys kicked that hard.

doulos
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
justplainbillyjoe

Are you kidding? Are you trolling here? I have a feeling your kidding here. And if your not I apologize.
But if youre serious. Which I dont think you are here goes any way.
It sure is increasing the pressure levels. I have never heard of using over the powder wads in a pistol cartridge. I think you're asking for problems. Many things will increase pressure. Seating depth, bullet weight, crimp, primer change. But this seems downright dangerous to me. Unique isn't the cleanest powder. And sometimes what people think is unburnt powder is carbon residue in the barrel. 9.5 grains is so far over loaded for .44 special its not funny. Did you consult any loading manuals?

TheDoctor
03-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I had a coworker last year that decided he was going to get into reloading. Would always come to work asking me questions. To give him credit, his questions were good ones, well thought out. But he REFUSED to read any manuals. I gave him a couple, they sat on his desk for several months without being touched. In the same time frame, was asked a couple hundred different questions about issues he was having. Maybe after I left he started reading, being that there was no one else around to answer questions for him. Then again, who knows?

3006guns
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Bought a .38 special Lee Loader in 1970, primed ONE case with a mallet and decided it wasn't for me. Ran back to the sporting goods store and bought a used Precision Reloader and used Pacific .38 special dies. No mentor but some good info from RCBS and Speer. After many years and many presses I now have a Dillon 550 and Rock Chucker set up on my bench.

I still have that first press and dies though. Memories.

Nanook
03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
The first time I tried reloading was in the late '70s. I had no mentor, and there was no Internet yet. I bought a Speer manual, and Lyman's at a gun show. I knew no reloaders in my area. I puttered around with a Rockchucker, an RCBS scale, and some dies. No tumbler at that time, or other tools. It didn't take for whatever reason, I might have been too young at the time, newly married, new house, the usual.

Sold it all off and didn't think about it much.

In the mid-90s I got the bug to reload, and this time I had several friends who were into it. A little mentoring, lots of reading, and then it just took. With a vengeance. I'm in it to stay this time, one side of my garage is my reloading area. Turned a 2 car into one car garage.

I had a lot of questions when I got back into it, and read everything I could get my hands on. The Internet has a number of good info sources, this being one of the best. Now I cast and load for everything I can, and I find myself helping others who are just getting interested in handloading. Been there, did that, so I pass along whatever info I can to new people.

It's a great hobby, and if you're paying attention you learn something new every day. That's a good thing, in my opinion.

ACrowe25
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I agree with you guys, a book is the first thing any reloader should buy. When I started, I read several. Probably read up a year before making my first round! But, I didn't have a mentor who did it prior, I guess I am that mentor to those who need it. Can never have too many in the hobby IMO.

dverna
03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Like most of you, I learned by reading books and magazines. No freaking internet 45 years ago. No mentor either. I think my first 100 primers cost $.97 or something like that.

The new reloaders scare me because they do not take the time to learn. They want instant gratification and some have no common sense.

TheCelt
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
My Dad didn't hunt and he never took me shooting that I can recall. Friend of the family, Jim Lang, taught me all he could between my 12th and 16th birthdays. Duck/Goose hunting, rabbit and deer, reloading 12 ga shells with a little box of Lee tools and a bathroom scale. He helped me buy my first "real" gun, a used 870 Wingmaster in 12 ga for $74 (and he made the salesman throw in a box of shells). Don't know that I'll ever be able to repay his faith in me and his kindness to me. I try to help as many folks get started reloading as I can, and I introduce as many young folks to shooting and hunting as I can, I figure Jim would be pleased. I have treasured that Shotgun for 50 years, it always reminds me of freezing my *** off in a wet duck blind with Jim!!!!! Anyways, didn't mean to rant here, just figure if we all lend a hand we could help a lot of folks make their own ammo.......safely.

JustPlainBillyJoe
03-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Thanks, doulos.
No, I'm not "trolling." Apology accepted.
I just found the Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide on line and I WILL NOT be loading even 6.3 grains Unique again! http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
Pistols and Revolvers 44 S&W Special 240 gr Speer LSWC
Minimum OAL (inches), Bbl Length, Primer, Powder, Charge Weight (grains), Velocity (fps)
1.475 5.5 CCI 300 Bullseye 5.2 793
1.475 5.5 CCI 300 Unique 6.3 820

I own half a dozen loading manuals so I didn't pick 9.5 grains Unique out of the air. However, I don't remember which one it came from and cannot look it up now since I'm still unpacking after my move from Michigan to Iowa and can't lay my hands on them. If I find the source I will SURELY round file it!
THANKS AGAIN!!!

doulos
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Your welcome
You should also scrap the practice of using over powder wads. Its pretty dangerous and not needed.
9.5 grains Unique is probably a lower end 44Magnum load.
FYI just about every powder manufacturer has load data available. Also a good reloading manual that is well worth the money is Lyman's 49th edition.

LAH
03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I hope that they all can safely reload without any supervision

I began with only a 45th Edition Lyman Manual. No one to help, no one to talk to. Loading/Reloading is very simple & IMHO much easier to master than firearms. With that said, their are people who have no business pulling the handle on a press just as their are those who have no business turning a steering wheel or picking up a hammer or a welding lead.

BTW it was that same Lyman Manual which taught me to cast. If one can read & understand that which is read, they can safely load ammo.

MattOrgan
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
We are in a fight for our freedoms and lives. Welcome them all in, even though they are late to the party. Don't sneer at them, help them with advice, give them your old equipment, books. Train them. Direct them to websites like this. We don't need to act like nannies. We have plenty of that from government. It is the principle that is important here; the right of self protection and the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, a God given right. It is not for government, or you, or me to decide who should own guns or reload, absent felony conviction or mental defect. Reloading can be dangerous, but it rarely hurts anyone but the reloader, but again that is not the point.

Texantothecore
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I taught myself using the Lee Anniversary kit. Just about everything you need. I fortunately bought the kit that had "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee in it and followed the directions as Richard Lee laid them out. I know that I read that book 20 times in the first year and each time I learned more as the discussions and techniques became more familiar to me. The back is nearly off that book now and it is filled with notes and thoughts on reloading and some calculations that are well intentioned but wrong. It is one of my favorite books as it has given me a lifetime of entertainment.

Richard, you did good. Thanks.

Texantothecore
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
I am teaching a good number of new reloaders and the toughest thing I have run into is convincing the youngsters who grew up with video games. Seems they have a lot of fiction in their brains from Zombie killing or what ever it is they shoot.

TheCelt
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I am teaching a good number of new reloaders and the toughest thing I have run into is convincing the youngsters who grew up with video games. Seems they have a lot of fiction in their brains from Zombie killing or what ever it is they shoot.

Run into a lot of that myself. Seems like most young folks would rather "buy" passable ammo instead of "making" superb ammo. Jeez, when I was 12 a single shot 22 and a brick of ammo was heaven on earth!!! Nowdays the video gamers have the upper hand but there's still some who want to shoot and reload, just have to hunt them.

Also having problems with parents. Took some neighbor kids and their Dads shooting and they loved it!! kids went home telling Mom they wanted a rifle and now they can't go to the range anymore, go figure. Did have great success with one HS kid in the neighborhood, we built him a rifle in 223 and his dad got on the bandwagon big-time. He's reloading on a Lee single stage press now and he and his son are learning together. Each success. no matter how small, moves us all forward.

doulos
03-12-2013, 07:33 PM
I began with only a 45th Edition Lyman Manual. No one to help, no one to talk to. Loading/Reloading is very simple & IMHO much easier to master than firearms. With that said, their are people who have no business pulling the handle on a press just as their are those who have no business turning a steering wheel or picking up a hammer or a welding lead.

BTW it was that same Lyman Manual which taught me to cast. If one can read & understand that which is read, they can safely load ammo.

I think I still have one of those older Lyman manuals too. It is what I used to learn with along with a Lyman expert reloading kit.

CATTLEMAN
03-14-2013, 04:10 AM
These new reloaders and shooters (especially the young ones) are the future protectors of the second amendment and all of our freedoms. We should help them any way we can.

Swamp Man
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I am teaching a good number of new reloaders and the toughest thing I have run into is convincing the youngsters who grew up with video games. Seems they have a lot of fiction in their brains from Zombie killing or what ever it is they shoot. Just tell them zombies are the same as Democrats.

W.R.Buchanan
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I learned with a Lee Loader and Lyman 45. By using these tools I was able to learn and understand the reasons for all of the steps in reloading. With the Lee Classic Loader an individual is not burdened with the procurement of all of the tools and the adjustments of those tools .

You just need a plastic mallet.

As you advance you can add a different primer installer, and a powder scale. At that point you should be making ammo that is as good as any produced with more complicated tools. However the simpler tooling allows more room in the mind for advanced understanding of the actual process. Understanding what you are doing is more important than the tools you use to acccomplish it.

As far as the accuracy of said loads compared to other methods I would remind us that most bench rest shooters use Wilson loading dies which are nothing more than more expensive versions of the Lee Classic Loader.

My biggest problem with newbies is convincing them that they need to read and re-read the subject many times until they actually understand what, and why, they are doing what they are doing. It helps with all aspects of the hobby and if you know what you are trying to accomplish you are more likely to make informed decisions when buying more tools.

Now with the internet, we have at our disposal an absolute Library of information on virtually every subject known to man. The information is all there but now more than ever it becomes necessary to learn to detect who knows what they are talking about,,, and who is FOS!

Established sources for all knowledge are pretty readily available if you are willing to take the time to find them. Point being, you have to find out who or what the definative sources are. Generally there will be a concensus among like minded people, which will guide you.

For information on loading metalic ammunition, I use two main sources, Handloader/Rifle Magazine and Castboolits .com. For shotshell loading I go to Trapshooters.com.

Randy

gray wolf
03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Scary ? -- men it's down rite frightening, When people ask questions like
""" what's the metal brush for in my reloading kit ? """ It all goes down hill from there.
Some of the shooting forums are down right dangerous, and so are the people on them.
Ignorance can be fixed, but willful ignorance is another bowl of wax.
I go right into orbit when I her questions like, what holster should I get ?. what's the best way to carry my pistol ? How T/F can anyone else tell you what holster to get or what's best for you.
The same crapppp goes on with the reloading, the problem ? no foundation, No knowledge of why one foot should go in front of another. Wont listen to anyone, they think the internet goes from there screen to Gods ears. I see them at our small gun range, I try to talk to them, I try to teach them. I am down right scared about this summer and the idiots that I will meet.
Yes I call them idiots, people that refuse to take advise and know it all should be on an Island all by them self. It's the same people that ask, " I need a load for X Y Z.
They thinks reloading and shooting fall into the same category as playing with there other toys.
Like I always say, I am the first one out there to share anything about this world that my life expedience has given me and taught me. Sorry for the drift away from just reloading. But these folks, young and old, young 17 to 25 are the dumbest most unwilling to learn people I have ever encountered in my 71 years on this blue marble.

Petro58
03-17-2013, 01:42 PM
What's Really scary is I see a bunch of Newbies that Refuse to Read and have no Skill set at all. All they want to do is ask about a Specific Load and Load it. They have no clue as to Pressures or Correct OAL. I was told by a Newbie the other day "Why Read a Book, when I can just find the Load information on the Internet".

Recluse
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
The ones who approach me about reloading and teaching them simply because they can't find ammo anywhere else, I politely turn away--usually stating time restraints, too busy of a calendar, etc.

Those who approach me because reloading/handloading is the next natural progression in the life of a serious shooting enthusiast, I'm more than happy to help out.

The difference is often maturity--and calendar years of age has absolutely zero bearing on that maturity.

The former type of wannabe reloader is about instant gratification. They don't have time to read and at best, will simply do a YouTube search for what they "think" they need to know. I have no time for them. The latter group is about honing his (or her) craft and gaining an even deeper appreciation of it. They look forward to reading and learning about the various facets of reloading, how the variables all add up to affect the outcome of a load, etc etc.

I enjoy mentoring those folks.

:coffee:

LUBEDUDE
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Recluse - I like your mentoring philosophy.

Merlin43
03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
"I learned with a Lee Loader"
" You just need a plastic mallet."
"need to read and re-read"

Yep!
I started in metallurgy & explosives chemistry in 1958 and reloading & bullet casting in 1978.
TO THIS DAY, I read both my own notes and at least two reloading manuals for every set-up and, more often than not, Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, when mixing up a new batch of alloy.
Most of the time, my own notes are sufficient, but double-checking via the published Gurus almost always gives me new things to think about.
Not many come to me or ask for "teaching", per se, but when the opportunity arises in social situations (shooting *IS* "social" yes? as are gun cleaning & reloading?), nobody touches my stuff until they understand the why as well as the how.

felix
03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Me too, Recluse! It's what they can offer me, in general! I live where new doctors are hired by the hospitals, and they are my favorite students. They learn pronto about projectile pressure being taught to them, via osmosis it seems, and it comes natural for them to do what is natural for the guns. Other folks, kids mainly, learn by monkey see, monkey do. They learn the mechanics of reloading very fast, but tend to forget the small details thus requiring constant supervision until they start picking up the "pressure facts" via the results of their efforts. ... felix

Bullet Caster
03-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I started out in 1969 making rockets (really the fuel) for my chemistry lab. My dad worked for the FAA and he would always design and build the rockets. He was in for a good match. My rocket fuel consisted of a 1:1 ratio of powdered zinc and sulphur. I often threw a little salt peter (potassium nitrate) to kick it up a notch. My rocket fuel (learned in chemestry) was too powerful for the rockets my dad was designing. The rockets would usually leave the nozzle and the fins on the ground while the tube took off. He finally got better at making the rockets (out of conduit) and started screwing the fins on. We had an old A Model coil which I powered from my VW battery (6 volt back then) and we developed an iginition system using it and a propane torch bottle.

Then when I first got out of the Marine Corps, I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum and a Lee hand loader for it. I would always end up loading up .38 specials for it. Sometimes, not knowing what I was doing, I would throw in a little more powder than the instructions said was the limit. I thought that since it was a .357 magnum a few "hot" loaded .38 specials wouldn't hurt anything. I'm certainly glad I never blew up that gun; finally sold it so I could buy a Marlin .30-30 lever action. Sold that one and bought a Winchester .30-30 lever action. Now I wish I had all those guns back.

I started casting before reloading. While I was waiting on my reloading package I got a few moulds and started casting and found that to be mighty fun. All my knowledge came from this very site. I read for over a year then joined Castboolits. And now I'm glad I did. The wealth of knowledge here on this site kept me safe and now I consider myself to be a knowledgeable reloader. I try to encourage others to reload only if they read, read, read and read some more to gain the knowledge base required for reloading and not harming themselves in the process. So you could say that Castboolits membership taught me how to cast and reload. Now I am addicted to this hobby. I enjoy making custom ammunition that cannot be had at a store (only exception .22 rf). This has got to be the very best of bests for information about casting and reloading. I sign in everyday to read things I hadn't encountered before and thusly enhance my knowledge base. I simply love it here. The membership is composed of some of the greatest people I'd ever hope to meet. Thanks to all of you that have given me not only the knowledge but the incintives to continue in this hobby. BC

DeanWinchester
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I've turned several away lately, asking me to "teach them to reload".
My first response is always to ask what reloading books they have read. The response is always the same. "why read a book? can't you just show me?"
No.

I'm sorry, but if you aren't willing to take the time to at least read a book, I'm not willing to be involved with the liability of you loading your own ammunition.

With the ammunition situation and SO many people trying to 'jump' into reloading, I foresee many injuries and destroyed guns in the future. Not interested in being a part of it.

mr mom
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
ive been reading this for a few days now and have seen a lot of new people on this site and others sites also.
I have been loading for over 40 years now and still read all I can. I had a person show me how and have showed others.
the best book out there to learn from is called the a b c's of loading ... all 3 of my sons have watched me and I still made them go threw the book. and I still look at it when I have nothing else to do...
my .02 thoughts

Alley Cat
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I know a guy that bought reloading gear on a whim because of the lower cost of reloads and the unavailability of commercial ammo. The trouble is that he has little mechanical aptitude/curiosity, lacks attention to detail and has the patience of a two year old. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think reloading is for everyone...

itry
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM

You guys are the mentors. Thanks again. I am loading the same round for 3 different 9mm semi autos. The feed problems gave me fits. I read and followed a hunch. Pick a pistol, and grab a handful of ammo, its good to go.
itry

leeggen
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Everyone, we need to help the new generation of computer *********ce. They don't need to read books they can get it off the computer. We can't just send them to U-tube ,they need directed to the proper learning area. Dad taught me years ago, herterz press and oil dampened scale, I was 8 and I have never stopped learning about reloading and now i am going to get into casting THANKS TO YOU ALL.LOL Keep up the teaching for us all, what a great sight to learn from.
CD