PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base vs. flat base ?

Triggernosis
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
What are some of the reasons for choosing one over the other?

felix
02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
For 50 foot accuracy games shooting lead, either base style is appropriate because the pressure behind the projectile is on the low end. If the projectile is hard copper coated, either style is appropriate at anytime. The bevel base is most appropriate when very high speed home loading machines are involved, or when shooting long range when the projectile can drop below the speed of sound. ... felix

303Guy
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Mine was to prevent base edge feathering on entering the bore.

10mmShooter
02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Any irregularities in the base of the bullet will cause accuracy issues are longer ranges, as the bullet exits the barrell it will get kicked slightly course off as the gases escape from behind the bullet if you have a rounded edge or imperfection on one side of the base of the bullet it will get kicked more to the that side and open up your groups at longer distances. This is why I prefer flat base bullets always...its easier for me to make sure that flat bases are properly filled out. Beveled bases are to harder to determine if you have proper fill out.

at 25 yds for pistol bullets, I doubt it will make much difference one way or the other but the longer the distances the more it effects the accuracy.

Matt_G
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM
I prefer flat based because I hate the ring of lube I get with bevel bases using a RCBS style sizer.

stubshaft
02-16-2013, 08:23 PM
I prefer flat based because I hate the ring of lube I get with bevel bases using a RCBS style sizer.

AMEN, to that Brother!

DLCTEX
02-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Hate that lube mess!

Artful
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Thats where the STAR lubesizer shines.

turmech
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
I would guess your talking about the bevel base most lee molds cast. I think they were designed to make loading cast bullets more user friendly by helping start the bullet in the case mouth. This is another of the useless things manufactures do to help but really serve no purpose. In fact they make it more difficult. For me they do nothing but make a mess. And add the extra step needed to remove the excess lube from the base. I would much rather flare the case mouth, which is best to do even with the bevel.