PDA

View Full Version : Loading books for cast???

Lefty SRH
02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Is the Lyman 4th Edition Cast boolit Handbook worth buying? Is it a "MUST HAVE" for us casting peoples?

http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/reloading-books/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-ed--sku749010217-38632-72996.aspx

sthwestvictoria
02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I thought it was and so purchased it, after a year of casting and loading cast rounds. The mold, casting, alloy section is excellent but probably covered in Glen Fyexells Ingot to Target or the compilation work by ?Brennan at LACS.
I thought the load information was not as good however. Quite hot, fast loads it seems to me at my neophyte level. There is a fairly restricted choice of powders which probably impacts more on us outside the US with limited inventories of powder.

I have also recently purchased the Lee Modern Reloading and feel I would recommend this first to a caster. Lots more flexibility of powder choices, more loads and more variety of loads. Certainly a good deal of waffle about how good Lee equipment is but it is not over-bearing.

Happy that I have both books? Yes but I expect I'll get more use from the Lee.

Lefty SRH
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Is this book better the the one mentioned in the OP?

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000159816049

Ed_Shot
02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
The Lyman 4th Ed. is much cheaper at MidSouth.

If you want J info also you need the Lyman 49th but there is much more cast info in Lyman 4th Ed.

02-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I like Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition, much better than the 4th. However, both editions should be in any serious caster and/or reloader's library, because the 3rd lists many fast powders that the 4th doesn't, and the 4th lists many slower powders that the 3rd doesn't. Also, the 3rd's metallurgy chapter is much easier to read and comprehend, than that of the 4th's.

Lefty SRH
02-16-2013, 09:36 PM
I like Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition, much better than the 4th. However, both editions should be in any serious caster and/or reloader's library, because the 3rd lists many fast powders that the 4th doesn't, and the 4th lists many slower powders that the 3rd doesn't. Also, the 3rd's metallurgy chapter is much easier to read and comprehend, than that of the 4th's.

How can I get a 3rd edition?

dbosman
02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
How can I get a 3rd edition?
This one is only $211.83
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Bullet-Handbook-Kennth-Ramage/dp/B0019VY7PI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361071753&sr=8-2&keywords=Lyman%27s+Cast+Bullet+Handbook

Oh, wait, here is one for $111.75
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook/dp/B005UIHDMK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361071753&sr=8-5&keywords=Lyman%27s+Cast+Bullet+Handbook

I'll suggest checking your library for an inter libray loan. Read, memorize, return.

drklynoon
02-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Holy cow I can't believe they are going for that. It must be some wise acre that never intends on actually selling it. I got my 3rd edition with my master casting kit some years back. I have not bought the fourth maybe I should. I really do feel like I need more cast manuals and only having a couple Lyman books and the LEE book feels to limiting. I have access to more jacketed books than I can remember or list but only a handful of cast manuals.

RoyEllis
02-17-2013, 03:27 AM
NOTICE! Edited to remove link to site of crooked dealer that tried to cheat myself and another castboolit member! DO NOT do any business with a Co. called BT Liquidation out of Spring Hill Fla, they don't send your merchandise nor will they respond to emails, phone calls or messages left on ebay for them. Lefty SRH and I both got burned by them.

dbosman
02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Put it on Amazon.com and read it while awaiting the profit on your investment. ;-)

Lefty SRH
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Got the 3rd edition ordered....thanks guys.

MaineJim
02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
What i like the most about the 4th edition ( i havent seen the 3rd ) is all the pressure testing,i own quite a few of the molds used in it.

Lefty SRH
03-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I just found the 3rd edition for 21.99 & free shipping @ btliquidations.com :coffeecom

BOY, I won't be redering from these folks again! I heven't gotten my loading book and they won't return my email questioning my order!

RoyEllis
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
BOY, I won't be redering from these folks again! I heven't gotten my loading book and they won't return my email questioning my order!

Same result I got with my order placed about 10 min after I posted the find...had to file a claim with Paypal to get refunded.[smilie=b:
I despise crooks working the internet, really, REALLY chaps my @zz!

ultramag
03-02-2013, 12:36 AM

I almost bumped this thread earlier today to see if anyone was having a better experience than I was. I kind of figured this was gonna be too good to be true in the beginning, but wasn't really expecting to just have my money taken and be ignored. I called earlier this morning and after getting a weird automated answering machine sent an email that has so far gone completely unanswered. Order was initially placed 10 days ago. Guess I'll be opening a complaint with PayPal middle of the next week if nothing heard by then. I'm gonna hold on to the dream of actually getting a 3rd. Ed. book without being violated for a few more days. :coffee:

Lefty SRH
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Same result I got with my order placed about 10 min after I posted the find...had to file a claim with Paypal to get refunded.[smilie=b:
I despise crooks working the internet, really, REALLY chaps my @zz!

I almost bumped this thread earlier today to see if anyone was having a better experience than I was. I kind of figured this was gonna be too good to be true in the beginning, but wasn't really expecting to just have my money taken and be ignored. I called earlier this morning and after getting a weird automated answering machine sent an email that has so far gone completely unanswered. Order was initially placed 10 days ago. Guess I'll be opening a complaint with PayPal middle of the next week if nothing heard by then. I'm gonna hold on to the dream of actually getting a 3rd. Ed. book without being violated for a few more days. :coffee:

Oh GREAT! So its not just me.
Ultramag, what number did you call? I never saw any number on the site. And when you file the claim tell PayPal that there are others that placed order the same time for the same item and NONE of us have gotten a response from BTLiquidations.
DAMN I wanted this book.

ultramag
03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
The number I called was found in BT Liquidations PayPal info in the payment verification email sent to me by PayPal upon making my payment. It is (352) 666-5536 and shows to be a Florida number.

Still no change here on my situation.

Lefty SRH
03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
The number I called was found in BT Liquidations PayPal info in the payment verification email sent to me by PayPal upon making my payment. It is (352) 666-5536 and shows to be a Florida number.

Still no change here on my situation.

Hahahaha, thanks, I see it now but didn't notice it before.

Lefty SRH
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Well I called the number on the PayPal invoice/email and all I for was an atomated "Incorrect Password" and nothing else. Time to contact PayPal!

Lefty SRH
04-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Another forum member has given me a link to a downloadable version of the Lyman 3rd Edition that a few of us THOUGHT we would recieve after ordering from that BOGUS company.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ty4nuia4clz8u25
Enjoy

OregonCaster
04-18-2013, 03:39 AM
If you can find one another excellent book/resource is "Cast Bullet's" by Col. E.H. Harrison. It's no longer available but it was a publication of the NRA. Col. Harrison was on the NRA technical staff when he complied all of his data/resources and knowledge for all of us to enjoy today in the world of cast boolits.

PrecisionMarine
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Well I called the number on the PayPal invoice/email and all I for was an atomated "Incorrect Password" and nothing else. Time to contact PayPal!

Wish I'd seen this thread before I placed my order with BT Liquidation in late Feb. .. I ordered 2 of what was supposed to the the 3rd Edition. Similar result.. sent multiple emails wondering where the order was after about 3 weeks.. never any response.. UNTIL I filed a complaint with PayPal. In about two hours, I got an email from a different company called Wonder Book 2421A Monocacy Blvd Frederick, MD 21701 showing them as shipped, with tracking number. Another wait, no show. Tracking number was bogus. Another filing with PayPal that they didn't respond to had PP decide the claim in my favor and refund $$.

THEN, looking for Wonder Book online, I found they're registered with an organization called Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America, with a strict Code of Ethics. So I filed a complaint there, and just heard back from both them and someone from Wonder Books, who deny any involvement with/as BT Liquidation. I'd believe that, except I have this email from Wonder Book, showing THEY shipped my order for 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Bottom line, as I see it.. they are crooks who took my $$ and wasted my time.

Stay tuned for more as I pursue the ABAA angle.

Bjornb
04-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Lyman still sells the 3rd edition on their website. You have too Google "Lyman cast bullet 3rd edition" and then follow the link to the Lyman Products web site. $20.98. The 3rd edition gives a wider range of boolits and powders, especially in rifle calibers.

Jeffrey
04-27-2013, 05:12 PM
The best source for cast boolit data I've found is Castpics. http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/default.html Nothing on metallurgy, or the rest of the BS associated with our hobby, but if you want data, there it is. I have on occasion found conflicts in data, but you just have to remember to work up your own load and NOT start at max load.

Lefty SRH
05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Lyman still sells the 3rd edition on their website. You have too Google "Lyman cast bullet 3rd edition" and then follow the link to the Lyman Products web site. $20.98. The 3rd edition gives a wider range of boolits and powders, especially in rifle calibers.

Just tried ordering thru Lyman and the site says no longer available.

375RUGER
10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I've got the download and can email it to anyone who will pm me an email that will accept a 45mb attachment. I'll only charge you $99.95:kidding:
Sent one out today and was received by a fellow member with no problems reported.