PDA

View Full Version : Trading Fe wheel weights for lead weights

bayjoe
02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I thought it was a dumb idea at first but it worked.
I got 2 five gallon buckets of weights, it turns out almost 2/3 of a bucket was Fe wheel weights. I sorted them out and was looking at them, and thought what a waste. So I got the bright Idea of cleaning them up and seeing if I could sell or swap back to tire shops. Tire shops like buying cheap weights and selling for the price of new ones. They even trade their old buckets of used weights for them.
It is good PR and seems to work better than just walking in and trying to buy weights.

I'll Make Mine
02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Nice thinking! I'll have to do that with the iron weights I sort out, when I have enough of them. The zinc ones, of course (when I have enough), will go to a regular poster here who always posts "send me your zinc weights for lead". You may rest assured, I will when I get forty pounds or so together...

RG1911
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm going to see if the local recycling place will take the 50 pounds of clips from COWW I've accumulated. I was going to take the iron WW, too, but learned that small shops like to buy used weights. I was planning on selling mine, but a trade for lead COWW would be as good.

Richard

psychicrhino
03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Hey this is a great idea. Do you just clean them up with soap and water or what?

BubbaJon
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Great minds think alike - I'm saving all mine and am going to approach two shops I know about a swap.

texassako
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I found 2 used tire shops by me that reuse old weights from who knows where. They wouldn't sell to me, but would swap steel for lead. Interesting conversation considering my lack of spanish and their lack of english, but they were really interested in being able to get a variety of sizes.