PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson ?

GARCIA
02-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Picking up a used Dan Wesson 744VH in a couple of hours with aftermarket rubber grips.
Anyone know of a custom/semi custom gun stock maker they can direct me to?
Checked with Harretts and they dont make them and prefer to stay away from Hogue.

Can anyone help me out?

Tom

shorty500M
02-16-2013, 07:11 AM
google it! Seriously i recall seeing website for small custom maker who specializes in grips for Wessons.

missionary5155
02-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Good morning
Go to the danwessonforum.com On the right side is a list of DW sponsors that make custom DW parts. The top of the list is a grip maker.
Welcome to the family of proud DW owners. Been shooting them since 1978.
Mike in Peru

kweidner
02-16-2013, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=missionary5155;2062054]Good morning
Go to the danwessonforum.com On the right side is a list of DW sponsors that make custom DW parts. The top of the list is a grip maker.
Welcome to the family of proud DW owners. Been shooting them since 1978.

Nice stocks butmhe is not taking any new orders for awhile. Hogue makes them. I got some from cheaper than dirt and they are very nice.

Daddyfixit
02-17-2013, 03:58 AM
I've had my .44 6" HV for 30 years and tried a few different grips over the years, keep going back to the factory wood grips! BTW I thought the Hogue grips the worst on this gun.
Just my 2 cents

GARCIA
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Contacted the grip maker from the DW forum. Currently not taking orders.
Small one man shop and is very busy. Said he would try to copy the style of grips that I use on my Redhawks which is the Herretts Ropers.
Weapon has a set of Pachmyr's on it and will do till I can get a decent set of stocks.
Original owner tried to do his own scope base attaching and really screwed the pooch on doing it.
A young gunsmith that I know will be welding it up and prepping it accordingly to be bead blasted.
This weapon does have the vented shroud and barrel which I am not a real fan of but EKW has replacement barrels in stock for about $70. Going to get one and swap the original out.
This DW has one of the best triggers that I have run across in many a year and thats not going to be messed with.

Tom

Lucky Punk
02-22-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm with Daddyfixit, DW wood stocks are awesome. I don't know of any other stocks that have better feel and attenuate recoil as well. The Pachmeyer Presentation are excellent also, they cushion better than the wood, but the grippiness causes some energy transfer that the wood grips don't. I have 3 Supermags and a 44 Mag. Love DWs!

Bwana
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I had two DW44VH. The first one was a gem. The second one was a piece of junk, soft frame and cylinder, rifling was off center, cylinder crane broke, etc, etc, etc. The only thing good about the second one was that I got $160.00 in trade for a new Ruger SS 10 1/2" SBH. Hope you get one of the good ones.