PDA

View Full Version : Stripped screw for base

Spungears
02-16-2013, 04:12 AM
Hello everyone,
I have a savage model 111 in 270 win. The front screw that holds the base for mounting a scope is stripped. Would anyone know what size drill bit, tap and screw size I would need to repair this? The two piece weaver mounts do not offer enough range of adjustment, can't get the scope back far enough for the eye relief.Was going to mount a one piece. any help would be much appreciated .

Thank in advance, Mark

Chicken Thief
02-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Bet you $ for cents that the original thread was 6-48 or 6-40. Next size is 8-40 in you want to do drill and tap.
Remember to buy at least 2 taps as one has to be ground absolutly into the full thread section. That is to get threads to the bottom of the hole.

I dont know how thread repairs do in this sort of cases.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/POWERCOIL-Helical-Thread-Repair-Kit-5UUP1
http://www.threadtoolsupply.com/6-40-professional-helical-insert-repair-kit.html

flounderman
02-16-2013, 10:44 AM
is the hole striped or is it the screw? usually the screw strips. you can get weaver rings that are off set from the base to add adjustment for eye relief. Better to do the front holes with the barrel off.

Spungears
02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I thank you Gents for the info. I had thought briefly about a heli coil but did not think they made them that small. I hoping that I'm wrong and it is the screw that is stripped, but I am one of those guys whose luck usually does not run that way. Never easy.

jonas302
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Loctite makes a thread restore that you put release on the screw and fill the hole with the liquid casting in new threads dont know if it would work here
Also guessing it would just be the little screw ruined

John Taylor
02-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Standard scope mount size is 6-48, you can bore it out and use an 8-40 but the mount will need to be drilled also. Another option is to plug the hole and take it back to the correct size. This is done by drilling it out to 10-32 and installing a screw in the hole with loctite and filing it off flush then drill and tap the screw.