PDA

View Full Version : Old Electric Bottom Pour Melter

afrance
07-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Yesterday I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and while buying some primers I asked about a cast iron pot (10 lb size) and an old electric melter (holds about 8 - 9 lbs of ww) with no markings. I asked what they wanted for them and I got both for $7 with about 10 pounds of lead included. The best part is that the melter works and the spout doesn't leak at all.

I have searched the web and not found anything that looks similar and wanted to see if it is in fact a homemade one or an old commercial version. The heating element and entire pot is covered in a dark gray clay or ceramic coating so if I ever need to replace the element I will have to chip that off and recoat. Anyone recognize this as a commercially made melter or know what the gray clay-like substance is?

Thanks,

Alan

shooter575
07-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I recall seeing somthing like that before long ago. Be carefull on that laging on that pot. If your lucky it is just a non asbestos furnace cement.If not????
Asbestos will not hurt anything as long as it stays put.But if it gets disturbed and the fibers get airborn...Bad news.The fibers you can see wont hurt ya,it the microscoptic ons that get into your lungs.
I would get it checked.

afrance
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Jim. The coating does not have any fibers at all and has several areas where pieces have broken off so furnace cement sounds about right. I am hoping that it is since that stuff is quite cheap and rebuilding with it wouldn't be a big deal. I didn't know if furnace cement was a good insulator or could just handle the high temperatures. The pot uses 590 watts to run and gets the lead to just about 750 degrees when full so it helps some.

Did the version you see have that coating?

Alan

shooter575
07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jim. The coating does not have any fibers at all and has several areas where pieces have broken off so furnace cement sounds about right. I am hoping that it is since that stuff is quite cheap and rebuilding with it wouldn't be a big deal. I didn't know if furnace cement was a good insulator or could just handle the high temperatures. The pot uses 590 watts to run and gets the lead to just about 750 degrees when full so it helps some.

Did the version you see have that coating?

Alan

No laging on the one I saw. Furnace cement comes in all diffrent temp ratings.But any of them will be able to handle our lead melting temps. I now recall the stuff you want is called "castable refractory" You can get that stuff from a furnace/boiler supply house.Check on some of the metal working BB under the casting sections for more info on the usage of the stuff.