PDA

View Full Version : AR15 pistol?

2ndAmendmentNut
02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I have a few stripped lowers that got transferred as just a receiver and not a pistol or a rifle. I would like to build at least one into a pistol.

What do I need to know about building an AR15 pistol?

No vertical pistol grips on the forehand.

No stocks.

Anything else I need to keep in mind?

I would ask local law enforcement but unfortunately they are no expert on the law.

MtGun44
02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Feds don't care about a foregrip, AFAIK. No buttstock on a pistol or it is a short barreled
rifle.

State laws are beyond insanity into Alice in Wonderland, so check your state laws. In KS, no issue
at all. In some states, I'll bet it is completely illegal.

Bill

DCM
02-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Bill there is a law against having a vertical foregrip on a handgun may want to check the BATFE website, it does fall under one of the NFA rules.

2A I would check your local laws and see if the ATF has any references on the AR Pistol.
In WI it must be sold as a handgun, but we have a few quirks about that here.

HATCH
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
AR pistol with a forearm grip is classified as a AOW according to the nfa regs.

I can't look it up on my phone but i am pretty sure it hadn't changed.

Jailer
02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Correct, it has not changed.

You local laws will likely play more into what you can and can not do. Personally I'd go the SBR route if that is an option. No SBR in MI so I had to go the pistol route.

Mooseman
02-18-2013, 07:35 AM
You better check on that transfer as a "receiver' because Mine had to be specified "pistol receiver" on form 4473 because a rifle receiver built as a pistol would be a violation of Fed laws.
And it is correct that you cannot have a front "pistol" or "K" grip or be able to attach a stock with any barrel shorter than 16 inches. Mine has round short handguards around the 11.5 INCH barrel.
Rich

Frozone
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
I transferred my stripped lowers as "Other", i've been assured They can go either way.
Wish I had that in writing ;-)

One thing I am curious about - does a 'mag well guide' (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-755) count as a fore grip?
And I noticed the Spike's Tactical lower has finger grips molded into the mag well on the front surface, what about that?

badboyparamedic
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I have built 2, reciever can not have been listed as rifle, should have been listed as "Other" on paperwork.

Can NEVER of had a stock attached to it.

No vertical foregrips allowed.

TXSlade
02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
The magpul AFG does not constitute as a vertical foregrip. Per ATF, AR-15.com has a section with letters posted. So as such since the magwell is not a true vertical foregrip, but part of the weapon itself, it does not cause an issue. Remember the Encore/Contender ruling. As long as it started life as a non-rifle you can switch it back and forth. But the pistol configuration needs to be built first. Semantics, but it keeps you legal. AR-15.com has forum dedicated to the pistol version. Along with many pictures of good ideas and parts you might not have seen.

HATCH
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
A rifle is always a rifle.
A pistol can be made into a AOW or into a rifle.

Technically in states that do not require you to "register" you pistol it doesn't matter what the 4473 says.
If it left the factory as a bare receiver then its fine. But if it left the factory as a rifle then your screwed.

Basically what happens is IF you piss off someone at the ATF and thats a big IF then they will run a trace.
So they will call the manufacturer and see the history. Once they see it was sold as a bare receiver to a non-manufacturer then they stop.

Jailer
02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Motivational pic for ya 8-) :mrgreen:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/ARpistol.jpg

MakeMineA10mm
02-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Nice, Jailer! Caliber?

Just an FYI, I believe the 4473s have "evolved" over the years. 1-2 years ago, when I bought a few NIB stripped lowers, the three boxes were: "Pistol," "Rifle," & "Receiver". Mine were all marked "Receiver" and I still haven't built anything, but an AR pistol in 300 Blackout is in the plans...

xacex
02-21-2013, 02:30 AM
I have put together a 300blk, and an A2 style 5.56. Love them both. Check your state laws regarding these, and all receivers have to be logged as receiver on the 4473 now per BATF. That is why you have to be 21 to purchase a receiver as it can be made into a pistol. You can have an angled for grip "Magpul AFG", but no vertical grip. The magwell grips are o.k. as well. You can use a regular buffer tube for a rifle, but it has to be modified so it cannot readily accept a stock. Along those lines be aware that if you do not own a AR rifle or have other stripped lowers, and have a spare stock in the same house it is considered constructive intent by the BATF and is a big no-no.

Hang Fire
02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I have a few stripped lowers that got transferred as just a receiver and not a pistol or a rifle. I would like to build at least one into a pistol.

What do I need to know about building an AR15 pistol?

No vertical pistol grips on the forehand.

No stocks.

Anything else I need to keep in mind?

I would ask local law enforcement but unfortunately they are no expert on the law.

Google can be your friend for such info:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=femail%20her&tok=lLBBYa-LoUXvat7pzEK_8Q&pq=female%20hero%20is%20a%20heroine&cp=7&gs_id=2k&xhr=t&q=ar15+pistol&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=ar15+pi&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b5226cfd9a264a11&biw=960&bih=397

Jailer
02-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Nice, Jailer! Caliber?

8 twist 5.56 Wylde chamber

MtGun44
03-01-2013, 02:04 AM
I did some investigation on the "vertical fore grip" issue for pistols.

Here is what Wikipedia says - (not a difinitive source, but usually correct) -

" The legality of vertical foregrips on pistols in the United States is unclear. In the United States, firearms are categorized by the National Firearms Act and firearms manufactured with specific features are subject to restrictions and controls. In the case of a vertical forward grip on a pistol, the law does not explicitly define such a feature as belonging to any category.

In May 1993, in response to legal action brought by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), the South Carolina District Court's finding of fact concluded that a pistol modified with the addition of vertical fore grips was still a pistol and not an any other weapon device.[1] Following this, the ATF dropped their charges and the case was not tried; as such no precedent was set.

In an open letter sent to Federal Firearms Licensees in April 2006, the ATF stated their interpretation of the law; that installing a vertical forward grip on a handgun is the same as manufacturing an Any Other Weapon (AOW) category firearm and subject to registration and taxation, with significant penalties for manufacturing or possessing such an unregistered weapon."

Sounds like ATF can't actually convict anyone on this rule. Sure was news to me.

Of course, would I build one like it? Not a chance. Not interested in having them mad at me.
Always going to do my best to stay well inside the rules.

Bill

xacex
03-01-2013, 03:06 AM
The Magpul AFG or angled foregrip is BATF approved for pistols. I have the letter if you need it. It is the vertical foregrips they have a gripe with, and I wouldn't test em on it. I like the angle of the AFG better anyway. The ergonomics are better in that position. To be considered an AOW you also have to meet a length requirement of 23 inches I believe, but I would look that up. As I recall, if you have a standard carbine buffer length pistol tube, and a 10.5 inch barrel you would be able to put a vertical foregrip on because it would meet the length requirement. However, I wont walk down that road myself. Better to stay a half inch within the law than halfway over the line. The tax stamp for a AOW is only 5$, but you still have to file the paperwork, and have a SOT FFL tighten the screw.

NineInchNails
03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
ATF Rule on Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/458387_ATF_Rule_on_Adding_a_Vertical_Fore_Grip_to_ a_Handgun__Specifically_the_AR15_Pistol_.html)

There's a LOT of excellent info on AR15.com in the AR Pistols section (http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/122_AR_Pistols.html).

Things have changed a lot over the last 2-3 years. AR pistols are a really fun! If you use a standard bird cage flash hider or most any common muzzle device it will create a really nasty concussion for people that are beside you. A Noveske KX3 'Flaming Pig' tames the muzzle blast drastically.

I bought the Spike's Tactical STAB (Spike's Tactical Adjustable Break). Works great!

You do not have to use a 'pistol' receiver extension/buffer tube. You can use a standard buffer tube if you want. Many use para cord to wrap their tube to ensure that a stock cannot be "readily" installed.

DCM
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Directly from the BATFE http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf
See page 9. Just below the Marbles game getter.

CATTLEMAN
03-13-2013, 02:28 AM
They are more fun than a barrel of monkeys

Moonie
03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Ordered a stripped lower on Monday that will be listed as a pistol lower when I pick it up.

xacex
03-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Ordered a stripped lower on Monday that will be listed as a pistol lower when I pick it up.

? Let me know how that went. It is listed as a receiver on the 4473 per BATF unless you have a "friend" who lists it as a completed gun. If it is new there is no worries. You could build it, and re-transfer it so it says pistol on the paperwork legally if you are worried about it.

xacex
03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
One of mine....5.56 7.5 inch barrel.64196

and the 8.5" Blackout CMMG 64296