PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA clone in 38-40

Jethro
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if a person can find a single action clone in in 38 wcf? I have seen a lot of conversation about them but have seen very few advertized anywhere. People talked about the USFA, Cimerron, Ruger, Navy Arms and others. I can currently find nothing in the 38-40 other than original colts of which I already have one. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Wolfer
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Not a clone but I saw a Buckeye ruger in 38-40 on armslist MO. Tonight. I thought it kinda pricy but seems everything is right now.
Cimerron used to advertise them but I don't know anymore.

Jethro
02-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks Wolfer, I saw that one earlier also. I really want a 38-40, but I will wait for the right one to come along. I have even been trying to trade a SAA Colt 45 black powder frame manufactured in 1880 for one but have had no luck. I have been looking for a Vaquero 38-40 / 40 S&W but it is a rare gun. I have an old original Winchester 73, a 1921 colt SAA both in 38-40 and a Winchester 97 that needs a little work. All I need is another 38-40 revolver and I will be ready to go with CAS. I would keep the 45 but only shoot black powder substitute in it. I have not shot in a CAS match but have been told that it is good to have firearms in the same caliber.

I reload the 38-40, the 40 S&W, my own 12 ga. shells and 50-70 governments for my original Allin Conversion Trapdoor. I enjoy the reloading as much or mort than the shooting.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Eddie Janis told me the Colt SAA in .38-40 is about the most accurate Colt SAA to come along. Is that your findings as well?

Jethro
02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
38-40 generally hits what you point it toward, the trick is making the point that you are aiming it toward is the same one as it is pointing at. I have had days when I could hit the bullseye on a 25 yard target every time and others where as they say, I couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn if I was standing on the inside.

I have heard that the ballistics are much like the 40 S&W cartridges. I think more that anything, I like the way that the old Colt and Winchester fit in my hand and that makes a great difference.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Might look here under 38 WCF.

This should give you a model number to ask about

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/model-p-sa/model-p-2.html

The .38-40 was also known as, and head stamped, .38 WCF (Winchester Center Fire).

Jethro
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

If I get my old 1880 Colt SAA sold, I may be able to handle two of the Cimarrons. The Cimarron from pictures appears to be a well built gun. I will look other places on the internet and try to get some actual user feedback.

RobsTV
02-19-2013, 09:07 AM

I have heard that the ballistics are much like the 40 S&W cartridges. .

I've been looking for the same thing to match up with my original 1873.

As for 38-40 to 40 S&W ballistics, the 40 S&W doesn't compete with the old 38-40.

Testing here show the 38-40 rifle with a full case of Goex FFFg runs 1440fps (828 ft/lbs), while a 40 S&W carbine I shoot with max of 5.2gr w231/hp38 can only top out at around 1090fps (475 ft/lbs), both using same 180gr boolit. Accuracy with the 40 S&W compares the same way, not in the same league. Not even close. At 50 yards the 1873 with iron sights and bad eyes beats the scoped 40 S&W everytime.

roysha
02-19-2013, 07:13 PM
I have the Cimarron with the 7 1/2" barrel. As far as I'm concerned, it is equal in quality to the Colt, but of course, it is not a Colt so not anyway near equal in value/cost/oneupmanship, etc. I got it a number of years ago while on a nostalgia trip. The first centerfire handgun I ever shot was my cousin's Colt 5 1/2" barreled 38-40. It was his truck gun. He later made a "real good" trade:( for a Ruger 357 Blackhawk. Such was life in the mid 50s.

Anyway, I have been very pleased with my Cimarron. I had a bit of an issue with it shooting aprox. 2" left at 15 yards using the classic RF bullet. Tried everything in regard to different powder, charges, crimp, etc. Even posted on a couple of forums, I believe here was one, about how to fix this situation. General consensus was, hold off or change my grip. Neither was a satisfactory solution for me so I parked the gun in the pistol box for several years.

My Grandson has a 10MM S&W 610 that I had been casting a SWC bullet for, but with having to use the moon clips, loading was a pain because of the shoulder on the bullet. We decided to try the LEE TC bullet. When it finally dawned on me that the 10MM and the 38-40 use the same diameter bullet, I figured what the heck, I'm not in love with the RF bullet, so loaded up a box with the TC bullet. It now shoots exactly to point of aim, although my aim is not always exactly on target. This is using the classic "cowboy" one handed hold. "I grew up dreamin of bein a cowboy" yada, yada, yada:Fire:

I'm using 4.8 grains of 700X with the Lee TC bullet. It is a powder puff load but since I just plain enjoy shooting this gun, mild recoil is fine by me. I did use Unique with the RF bullet, and settled on 7.5 grains. I went to 700X because it is so MUCH cleaner and I have a bunch of it.

The August 1999 issue of SHOOTING TIMES has a very good article on loading the 38-40. Perhaps you can round up a copy or fine the issue online.

69daytona
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a Cimarron SAA in 38-40 on order from my local gun shop, they say it may take some time as they are having problems getting new guns in since obama got back on his band wagon. I cant wait till this blows over so we can see guns back on our dealers shelfs and racks again.

Jethro
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Amen to that, I went into our local K-mart the other day and went back to the sporting goods to get some cleaning patches and solvent fo clean up a couple of my guns after shooting them and where all of this stuff used to be was just empty shelves. I can't believe that it all sold out. I was wondering if K-mart had knuckled under and give up selling firearm related mechandise???? Local gun shop that used to have reloading supplies is completely out of everything and doesn't know when they will get anything. You can bet you bottom dollar before the next election I will be listening to NRA's recommendations on who to vote for.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
"2" left at 15 yards."

roysha, you have three options: 1 put up with it. 2 don't shoot it. 3 spend the money to have the sights regulated. The cost of having the sights regulated should run you about $150.00 to $200.00. I hate to spend the money but it's the price we pay to turn a paperweight into a shooter.

tejano
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
I have a USFA Rodeo in 38-40. It is very well put together.