PDA

View Full Version : Gahendra martini. Good candidate for 45/70 conversion?

DanWalker
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey guys,
Got a line on a Gahendra Martini here that I was thinking about picking up and rebarrelling to 45/70.
Are these guns strong enough for that? I'm likely only going to be using the action, and discarding the rest of it. Am I wasting my time, or risking my safety?
Any idea as to how much a project like this will cost me?
Thanks,
Dan

John Taylor
02-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Several years back a customer sent me four of the 12 gauge shotguns that took the special cartridge and had the three prong around the firing pin. I converted three to 45-70 with new barrels and had the frames color cased and took the forth one in on trade. I put a liner in it and sights and left the rest of it as is, dings rust and all. I sent it to a friend that was into long range BP to try out. He called and said " it's as ugly as a 2X4 but it sure shoots good".

EDG
02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
I mention this as a matter of safety. There is a Martini forum at Gunboards where there is a good bit of discussion of the Mahendras. You can check for yourself. Some of the guys shoot them and some do not shoot with any ammo.

salpal48
02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I also have one , Purchased From IMA for 159.00. I,v shot it in 577/450 as original. Shoot ok. Upon Taking it apart some of the parts are crudely made. This could mean that they were replaced in Nepal during the past 100YR,s or so. My opinion is that it would cost too much to spend on a rifle like that and the prospects of getting replacement parts are nil. I thinks you would be better of getting a British Martini or Just enjoying it as is . Today 577/450 ammo is cheap or you can load yourself

Beekeeper
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Dan,
The Gahendras are mostly good, I say that somewhat with tounge in cheek.
They are basicly one of a kind so if it is incomplete or you break a part you will have to build or repair it yourself.
I bought 2 parts rifles to get parts for the 2 Gahendras I have and none of the parts fit.
I rebuilt all of the broken parts myself and made them shoot.The 2 complete ones I have are still 577/450 and I have used 65 grains of goex in them .
After shooting I disassembled them and checked them out and found no stress.

The 2 parts rifles I rebarreled with 43 Mauser barrels and made all new wood.
One is a sporter and the other as original as I could get it ( still need a 43 Mauser rear sight for it)
The sporter I have shot with 70 grains of BP usoing PP as well as grease grove boolits and after takedown have found no stress in the action.
I have shot it out to 855 yards which is as far as our range goes.

I did not re color case harden the action and if (by some peoples standard) looks kinda ratty but still works and shoots good.

My recomdation is if you get one look it over real good or better yet have it NDT tested to ensure the metal is good and then go for it, just remember if something is broken or you break it you have to build a new one yourself as there are no spare parts.

I once read over on the British Millitati forum that someone had one with a block pivot pin made of wood and fired it succesfully so they are no slouches and even tho 100+ years old were well made for the time.

I enjoy mine and have funn allowing some friends shoot it.

beekeeper

Don McDowell
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Hey guys,
Any idea as to how much a project like this will cost me?
Dan

Most gunsmiths are going to get something close to 600$ to rebarrel a rifle. Just a decent blank is going to cost over 200$. So unless you just absolutely gotta have a Martini rifle, might be best to look at something already built in 45-70.