PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Cast in a 1-7 twist

Radkins
02-15-2013, 07:21 PM
My question is can you shoot cast boolits with a 16in barrel with a 1-7 twist? If so what .223 mold would you suggest. I'm new to AR's so be gentle. I'm going to slug the barrel tomorrow. I really want to know if it can be done with such a fast twist before I go thru the trouble.

Thanks
Ricky

bmiller
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I have a h-bar with 1 in 7 twist. It shoots cast fine. I am using a NOE 55 grain mold.

Radkins
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Noe has this in stock 225 55Gr. FN 3 cavity GC (RCBS 22-055 FN) Is this the same one? What powder are you using?

P.K.
02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
My question is can you shoot cast boolits with a 16in barrel with a 1-7 twist? If so what .223 mold would you suggest. I'm new to AR's so be gentle. I'm going to slug the barrel tomorrow. I really want to know if it can be done with such a fast twist before I go thru the trouble.

Thanks
Ricky

No worries, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here willing to help and more. Slide over to the "Boolit Exchange" and you could try any number of flavors to suit that twist. May I add that you probably won't like many results with much below 55 gr. Since mine has the same twist it enjoys a steady diet of 55-60 grain J-words and shoot's both well. Not a one holer but it was never ment to be one either. Anything in the 55-62 gr. range should shoot just fine from your magazine. Anything larger you'll start getting into COL issues with magazine size. But think of the fun telling the missus that you now need a .223 bolt gun so you can test the heavier boolits. ;-)

As for your diameter it will prolly slug out to .224, YMMV but I prefer a .225 sizer for my cast.

Radkins
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
P.K. thanks for the info. I should wait a few months for the heaver boolits since she just bought me the AR for Christmas. That's what I needed to know. I will slug my barrel tomorrow and order a mold.

Thanks Guys
You are the best

Radkins
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
What would be the best powder to use?

bmiller
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I have had good results with h-4895. It does not meter well in a dillon. Been playing with aa1680. Not ideal but it meters well and I have it on hand.

P.K.
02-17-2013, 07:19 AM
What would be the best powder to use?

For just about everything I start with the published data first. If what I have starts out well with that, I'll fool with it. It depends on what you want to do with it really. Range day of plinking/punching holes, hunting, good volume load to stock?

IMO I choose a powder thbat I can use for multiple platforms to start. If it doesn't work out with one I can use it for others and not have a can of "Mr. Wizard's Rocket Fuel" collecting dust in my powder locker.
Unique, 2400 and RX-7 all end up in heavy rotation in my line up but YMMV.