PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-125-RF seating depth?

Triggernosis
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
For .38 Spec., how deep should I seat the 358-125-RF? i.e. what should the COAL be?
And should I be crimping down into that front band on 'em?

Chihuahua Floyd
02-15-2013, 07:32 PM
For my 125g RNF I crimp in the crimp groove and don't worry about OAL. Mainly cause I have all 357 mags, no 38 Spl chamberings.
I also only use the 125s for light duty ammo.
CF

Raven_Darkcloud
02-15-2013, 08:14 PM
You should have no issues seating to the crimp groove. I use the same boolit for 9x19 and seat just at bottom of crimp groove but only to lessen the jump to throat. Great boolit, mine drop at about 130grn with 20:1 alloy.

Triggernosis
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Do I need to leave just a bit of the top of the crimp groove showing?
Also, can some post a picture of one of their finished rounds for me, please?

runfiverun
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
for good pictures you'll have to find a post by william waco and click his link.
he has some real good articles.
i generally just roll in enough i can run my finger down the boolit and have it not catch on the case mouth.
if i was going to just use these in a revolver i would seat them out as far as i could where i could do a light crimp.
but not crimp them and try them in the revolver.
just drop one in all the cylinders.
if they all take the round without issue,and the wheel will spin in the revolver freely, then i apply a light crimp in that place.
i prefer to seat and crimp separatly.

Triggernosis
02-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks.

mdi
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't pay any attention to OAL when loading for a revolver (as long as it isn't too long for the cylinder). I figger the bullet designers took into consideration the amount of bullet protruding into the case and the capacity/powder room left. Haven't had a problem since my first .38 Special loaded in '69...

I have that same mold and I seat the bullets 'till the edge of the mouth is about even with the top of the crimp groove before the brass is rolled into the groove. I do this with all my revolver rounds.

williamwaco
02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Do I need to leave just a bit of the top of the crimp groove showing?
Also, can some post a picture of one of their finished rounds for me, please?

Check this page.

http://reloadingtips.com/how_to/crimping_revolvers.htm

Several above advise crimping into the crimp ring.

I agree. If a bullet has a crimp ring - use it.

If it doesn't work then look for a different seating depth.

Triggernosis
02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that link, William.