PDA

View Full Version : isreali mauser scope mount info

mountainman
02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
hey there all I have a mauser and would like to get a scope mount that clears the bolt handle and is high enough that I can still use the clips to load with. I had a m48 that I put a leupold mount on and when I went to atach the scope ( 3-9X40 ) I could not get the bolt handle to clear the scope even with extra high rings. I want to try to avoid that problem again. The mounts that I have looked up ar the zf41 and zf4 mounts and they cost a small fortune does anybody know of a similar mount type that is less expensive? The rifle has been completely refinished and parkerized so it has no real collector value but it shoots very well and I picked it up for a song.
any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.:castmine:

junkbug
02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Typcally, a bolt handle, even a turned down one, will have to be bent and contoured some to allow for a scope mount to work directly in line with the bore. This is true for most mausers and even the Springfield rifle (1903). Is the rifle you are looking at already drilled and tapped. If so, may as well get the bolt bent.

If the rilfe is not altered, the inexpensive way is to get a no-gunsmith mount to replace the rear sight with. Then you will have to buy a long eye relief scope. Usually, these have less magnification than what you are looking for.

It will be very hard to get a mount thar is high enough to still use stipper clips with. It will be so high your face will not come close to touching the stock.

In WWI, the Germans solved this problem by using a mount offset to the side. It will work, but is worth noting that during WWII, they did not bother trying this again. Must not have been such a super idea. Reproduction "high turret" mounts are available that will allow you to mount a scope without bending the bolt handle, but you will still be not able to use stripper clips. Why is this so important?

Take care.

phaessler
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
How about :
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/98ksnipershortsiderailscopemount.aspx

Pete

junkbug
02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Thats a nice set up. Have to drill and tap the siderail, but not bend the bolt. Almost certainly too low to use stripper clips with, though.

I might just buy one to mount on a Russain refurb Kar98k.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Now that is a neat set up! I have a 26mm Pecar 4x which would be a neat match for that!

UBER7MM
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Mountainman,

Have you considered a "scout style scope"? The mount point on the rear site base would overcome the bolt bend, safety and stripper clip feeding issues.

I hope this helps,

Larry Gibson
02-16-2013, 09:00 PM
61451To mount a scope high enough so the handle doesn't need bent and so you can still use stripper clips would place the scope imossibly high for practical use. Or it would have to be off et to the side of the action which also has it's own problems. Suggest a proper scout scope set up as it works fine.

Larry Gibson

mountainman
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
I just like the stripper clip loading I can load 1 at a time easy enough. I am most interested in just getting a scope to work. Looks like I'll have to go to a gunsmith and Get this thing tweaked a bit.
Typcally, a bolt handle, even a turned down one, will have to be bent and contoured some to allow for a scope mount to work directly in line with the bore. This is true for most mausers and even the Springfield rifle (1903). Is the rifle you are looking at already drilled and tapped. If so, may as well get the bolt bent.

If the rilfe is not altered, the inexpensive way is to get a no-gunsmith mount to replace the rear sight with. Then you will have to buy a long eye relief scope. Usually, these have less magnification than what you are looking for.

It will be very hard to get a mount thar is high enough to still use stipper clips with. It will be so high your face will not come close to touching the stock.

In WWI, the Germans solved this problem by using a mount offset to the side. It will work, but is worth noting that during WWII, they did not bother trying this again. Must not have been such a super idea. Reproduction "high turret" mounts are available that will allow you to mount a scope without bending the bolt handle, but you will still be not able to use stripper clips. Why is this so important?

Take care.

mountainman
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
That is great. I'll look into that one for sure.

How about :
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/98ksnipershortsiderailscopemount.aspx

Pete

khmer6
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Larry,

What mount is that

mountainman
02-18-2013, 01:45 AM
I've looked at them and thought of that as a possibility. The mounts are easy to get and install. The scope is another story I already have a scope for this rifle I didn't want to buy another one. But if I had to I would. Thank you for the help
Mountainman,

Have you considered a "scout style scope"? The mount point on the rear site base would overcome the bolt bend, safety and stripper clip feeding issues.

I hope this helps,

UBER7MM
02-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I've looked at them and thought of that as a possibility. The mounts are easy to get and install. The scope is another story I already have a scope for this rifle I didn't want to buy another one. But if I had to I would. Thank you for the help

Mountainman,

If you planning to utilize a standard relielf scope you will have do the following:

1) Potentially bend the or modify the military bolt handle. TIG Weld, braze a new on or heat up and forge to bend the existing one. This is work for a professional qualified gunsmith that's done bolt work before. It's easy to over heat the bolt body and case damage to the bolt body.

2) Potentially modify or replace the safety. The scope tends to get in the way of the military safety's arch. Some grinding required. Know what you're doing.

3) Potential trigger replacement. Military triggers tend to be horrible. You may be lucky and have a good one. Timney's are not hard to install, but there might be grinding to get them to function. Not for the faint of heart.

4) Drill and tap the action. The rear of the actions I've incountered were hardened. A demmel to grind out the top layer of the action seemed to help. Buy the jig to allign the scope mount properly. It also is easier when the barrel is removed.

5) Generally stripper clips aren't going to function with a over the action scope. So, Larry Gibson's mount is the logical choice if stripper clip loading is a necessity. The price of the scout scope and mount would probably be cheaper than the above labor and parts.

If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, doing all the labor may make it an enjoyable hobbie project and a source of pride. If you have to pay for the labor and the specialized tools/jigs as well as parts, then a you'll surpass the price of a used or even possibly a new factory rifle with a scope mount as OEM quickly.

I hope my experiences help,

Four Fingers of Death
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
It is a sad fact of life that mounting a scope and modifying the rifle into a sporter are virtually the same as buying as buying one of the entry level centrefire rifles. Once you have done these mods, you have lowered the value of the original firearm significantly as milsurp rifles generally fetch good money and are only going to appreciate in value. Buy an entry level rifle and you still have the milsurp which will often be able to be sold for the same or better than the new gun.

Making a rifle out of a mil surp rifle is a satisfying process but doesn't make financial sense any more.

A scout scope will allow the gun to remain original and also allow stripper clip feeding. Swap out the stock and save the original along with the fittings and it can be rebuilt and disposed of later on if you so desire and the stock, mount and scope sold on or moved to another rifle.

Probably not what you want to hear, but as ol' Larry Potterfied says, 'And that's the way it is!'

I have a friend that completes in milsurp matches with a scout scoped Israeli Mauser rifle. He shoots in a different class with the scope but his eyesight has deteriorated to the point where he is unable to use the standard sights. This allows him to use clips. He loses a bit of power in the scopes, but he makes up for it in reloading time. He has several spares and as soon as accuracy falls off (not a problem with cast boolit shooters, haha!), he reinstalls the original sight and sells it and mounts the scope on the next rifle. He reckons by the time he has worked his way through his small stock of rifles, he will be too old to worry about it.

Gunor
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
So installing one of those Sarco mounts @ $150 on a 7.62 Israeli 98 - for a fake sniper. - bad idea.....

Geoff in Oregon

Larry Gibson
02-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Larry,

What mount is that

I adapt Redfield, Leupold & Burris 1 piece bases to the rear milsurp sight base. Pretty easy to do and doesn't take a mill. That one has a Redfield rear pop up peep sight they used to put on bases. Scope is the Leupold Scout in low rings. It is an awesome set up.

Larry Gibson

mountainman
02-19-2013, 03:11 AM
WOW!! I had no idea that this would be that big of an undertaking. I think I'll just leave the rifle as is and buy a good rifle. I have had my eye on a CZ 452 ( I think) in 6.5 x 55mm they only want $525.00 for it and it comes with the scope mount. What I was after was a fairly inexpensive rifle that I could keep in the car for such occasions that require a good long distance shot (ie ground hog coyote ect) I think in the long run after seeing whats involved in the proccess of getting this rifle scoped up I would be better off going with the rifle that four fingers is talking about. Thanks for the help it was a real eye opener.

Four Fingers of Death
02-19-2013, 05:52 AM
That is a good price for an outstanding rifle which is cambered in an outstanding calibre! Go for it, you won't regret that one.

junkbug
02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I have a CZ 550 FS that I bought, choosing it over a MN91/30 sniper rifle for about the same price. In 6.5 Swedish, with the full legnth mannlicher stock. The Moisin Nagant had a scope , the CZ didn't, But the CZ is an infinitely more versitile rifle, I can put any number of scopes on it. Only a few will work with the 91/30, and in that very high mount. And even with a military sniper mount, you can't use stripper clips unles you dismount the scope, no small deal with that design. Also,the CZ has an awesome, single set trigger that can pushed forward for a trigger pull of around 1 pound.

I am glad I made the choice I did, but you will have to choose for yourself. Best wishes doing so.

mountainman
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
That settles it I'm going after the CZ. Sounds like an awsome rifle. Thanks

phaessler
02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Seeing how the rifle is already refinished, just bend the handle and put the side rail mount on it. Brownells is having a sale now on Timney's, and they are simple to install. The collector value of a M48's, while a decent reliable rifle, is not that of say a BYF, or dot K98 mauser. Make it what you want and have fun with it.

Pete